Air Compressor Problems

shortstack

I have a '04 CH613 with an AC 427. I recently started having problems with the air compressor. It seems like the unloader valve(I think that is what it is called) started sticking. Usually it works fine but sometimes just won't start building air. I tried spraying WD-40 in the line coming from the governor and shot some air in trying to clean it up. This seemed to help for about a month but it started doing it again last night. Seems like I've seen on here where a certain air compressor around this year model had this problem and I was wondering if I have the same model and if there is a rebuild kit for it or if it just needs to be replaced. A new one from my Mack dealer was around $1400 and was cheaper than any I could find from an aftermarket dealer. I'm tired of worrying about it and was wondering if anyone on here could help or have any information. the vin# is 1M1AA18Y14N155523. Thanks in advance. Trey

I have a '04 CH613 with an AC 427. I recently started having problems with the air compressor. It seems like the unloader valve(I think that is what it is called) started sticking. Usually it works fine but sometimes just won't start building air. I tried spraying WD-40 in the line coming from the governor and shot some air in trying to clean it up. This seemed to help for about a month but it started doing it again last night. Seems like I've seen on here where a certain air compressor around this year model had this problem and I was wondering if I have the same model and if there is a rebuild kit for it or if it just needs to be replaced. A new one from my Mack dealer was around $1400 and was cheaper than any I could find from an aftermarket dealer. I'm tired of worrying about it and was wondering if anyone on here could help or have any information. the vin# is 1M1AA18Y14N155523. Thanks in advance. Trey

It shows to have a Wabco compressor. There was a cylinder head replacement kit for them (Mack part number 8235-S9119068002). Cylinder head replacement was discontinued due to repeat failures caused by incorrect head installation. Here is a link to the Meritor Wabco technical publication for the cylinder head replacement:

http://www.meritorwabco.com/MeritorWABCO_document/tp02122.pdf

I'm not sure the kit is still available thru Mack, the Meritor part number will be the same as above but without the 8235 in the part number.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

It shows to have a Wabco compressor. There was a cylinder head replacement kit for them (Mack part number 8235-S9119068002). Cylinder head replacement was discontinued due to repeat failures caused by incorrect head installation. Here is a link to the Meritor Wabco technical publication for the cylinder head replacement:

http://www.meritorwabco.com/MeritorWABCO_document/tp02122.pdf

I'm not sure the kit is still available thru Mack, the Meritor part number will be the same as above but without the 8235 in the part number.

rhasler, thanks for the info. I'll check monday to see if that kit is still available. Might be able to save some $$$.