Big Horn

thunderdog

i would love to have one of those they are a good looking truck my grandfather used to haul coal with one it had a 8v92 in it ilove the sound of those 2 stroke engines expecially when they are on the jake. but his truck was short lived it came out of gear coming off the mountain while loaded he jumped out and the truck made it to the bottom only it was in pieces..joe

those are good looking trucks. what were the other heavy trucks that dodge had was they D 1000s or something my papaws brother had one that was difrent from the bighorn and it had the same specs as his big horn.. joe

Here's a couple of 900 Dodge's I saw in Troutman, N.C. a few years ago. They were out of Georgia and 2 of the best looking trucks there.

I always liked the looks of the Bighorns. They were ahead of their time in looks, like a Diamond T, and were a better looking truck than most of the trucks on the road today.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Ha guys,

The guy from Georgia is Tony Youngblood he has a couple of Big Hornes including Dodges first prototype BH.The truck in the picture is a C Model they came with a 318 361 & 413 gas motors the same 413 was also used by Mack. Cummins H,NH NTC,V555,& 903's also Detroit 6-71 & there V6 & V8 71's. The C model in the pic. has a 318 Detroit you'll notice the cabs were raised so those bad boys could fit under the hood, the fenders also swung out for E/Z access I have a C900 with a 413 gas motor 5 speed & 2 speed DR rear they were good strong trucks BULLHUSK

Ha guys,

The guy from Georgia is Tony Youngblood he has a couple of Big Hornes including Dodges first prototype BH.The truck in the picture is a C Model they came with a 318 361 & 413 gas motors the same 413 was also used by Mack. Cummins H,NH NTC,V555,& 903's also Detroit 6-71 & there V6 & V8 71's. The C model in the pic. has a 318 Detroit you'll notice the cabs were raised so those bad boys could fit under the hood, the fenders also swung out for E/Z access I have a C900 with a 413 gas motor 5 speed & 2 speed DR rear they were good strong trucks BULLHUSK

Ah-hah! The things you can learn here! That reminded me of this article i'd read about the first Bighorn. I'd never put 2 and 2 together before, but it was indeed written by Tony Youngblood.

This blue Bighorn was at Troutman too but either the year before or after the 2 900 models were.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

the 900s look just like the one that my great uncle had. (except not that nice) and his was a coal truck with a 20 foot dump bed. the last tine i saw his truck after he sold it it was a log truck and that was about 15 years ago and havent seen it sence.

These were built by Dodge with FWD noses for a new car hauler. They did this so the engine was accessable with the tractor mounted car rack.

post-3242-063558700 1281918733_thumb.jpg

post-3242-022180800 1281918750_thumb.jpg

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Dodge ''short horns''post-3242-0-80488100-1390448759_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-99088000-1390448762_thumb.jp

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

These were built by Dodge with FWD noses for a new car hauler. They did this so the engine was accessable with the tractor mounted car rack.

attachicon.gif4435041467_f3c4423eeb_z.jpg

attachicon.gifdodge.jpg

That may have been the case with the upper picture, I have seen that one before and I think it was shop built by an auto transporter. The standard C model was also used for auto carriers. The supports were placed so the fenders would swing.

The lower photo was originally one of the Clark Transport Trucks. They wanted the conventionals so the upper rack would be lower.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTk-lXyie0zPSLDc28uWFjlH3KwAYBJZf9GStQqrGpapvKos6Cqg