Why Can't We Buy Cabover?

QCDriver

The North American Market mindset won't embrace cabovers. It's odd because they are far more luxurious and comfortable than the seemingly 'preferred' conventional truck, the Peterbilt.

Kenworth has made an attempt, but It's not yet certified for road travel (crash testing, etc) it's for off- road heavy haul.

kenworth-daf-3.jpg

The North American Market mindset won't embrace cabovers. It's odd because they are far more luxurious and comfortable than the seemingly 'preferred' conventional truck, the Peterbilt.

Kenworth has made an attempt, but It's not yet certified for road travel (crash testing, etc) it's for off- road heavy haul.

kenworth-daf-3.jpg

Liability issues. Too many truckers that used to run hoods fall out the truck at the first stop. crac da head

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Liability issues. Too many truckers that used to run hoods fall out the truck at the first stop. crac da head

A good portion of them out there could use that type of education too.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

i did my rookie year in a freightliner cabover, that was about a year old and only had about 200,000 miles on it. i dont remember anything being comfortable or luxery

He is talking about Euro cab overs. They know how to combine comfort and ruggedness.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 5 months later...

I was stationed in Germany, and had an opportunity to drive a Mecedes-Benz Actros, and a Scania 420. Just like a big car! The Mercedes had whats called Electronic Power Shift. Didn't quite figure it out, cuz my friend is Italian, and English is limited. More or less like a the Tiptronic in a car, cuz he got fed up I guess, and put it in automatic mode! The Scania has a different gear pattern. Our trucks are the H pattern, with LO, or 1 and R by your leg. It had only an H. R, 1, 2, and 3. 12 speed. Import costs, and the popularity wouldn't be in ya'lls favor. They have the power though! Volvo is pushin 700Hp, strapped to a 16spd, and Scania has a 730 pony motor! Their tractor-trailers would work awesome in places NYC, REALLY short wheelbases!

i did my rookie year in a freightliner cabover, that was about a year old and only had about 200,000 miles on it. i dont remember anything being comfortable or luxery

My first new truck was a cabover Mack MH,allthough it WAS a good truck,i dont miss it at all! other than the short wheeelbase getting in and out of a tight spot it was a rough riding SOB! dont miss getting dressed laying down either! the hood is good!.....................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Well I'm not a physics major but does it not stand to reason that cabovers are more dangerous than conventionals because there is nothing in front of you to absorb energy in a crash.

yep. regaedless of function,looks,or wheelbase the last thing I want to be is the first person at the accident. and if we want to talk about looks. thats easy....everyone has their own opinions on what looks good and what is ugly

yep. regaedless of function,looks,or wheelbase the last thing I want to be is the first person at the accident. and if we want to talk about looks. thats easy....everyone has their own opinions on what looks good and what is ugly

Back when cabovers were a large part of trucking in this country, there was a different breed of driver in the seat. Experience was prevelant rather than distant. I can only imagine the fatality rate with many current truck drivers in a cabover.

How things have changed.

My favorite cabover always was the IH Transtar II with a 8V-71 and an RTO-9513 on 3.70's. The two I drove were smooth, relatively quiet, and quite fast for their day.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

There is a crash test standard for Euro cabovers. It was first introduced in Sweden (surprise surprise!). Its pretty rigorous and I would imaging so seeing that just about every truck in Europe is a cabover. I don't think they would drive around in death traps. Europeans are no slouches.

When you hear the term cabover please realize Euro cabovers are very safe, not to be confused with North American cabovers which ceased evolving in the early 80's (save for the Argosy). They are not the old fashioned tin boxes of yesteryear.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

OH GOD if the drivers of Today were in a cab over I would say the Drivers death rates would double! I really feel bad for the good ones out there. they just stay quiet and dont interact like they used to. Seams the last few years I cant even get a bear report or a reply even after I give one. I rarely get a flash of the lights after I pass a truck at night.

OH GOD if the drivers of Today were in a cab over I would say the Drivers death rates would double! I really feel bad for the good ones out there. they just stay quiet and dont interact like they used to. Seams the last few years I cant even get a bear report or a reply even after I give one. I rarely get a flash of the lights after I pass a truck at night.

im all for macking the cabover again after worcking on this new junk every day the motor is so far back under the cab the cabover would be a whole lot easer to work on

im all for macking the cabover again after worcking on this new junk every day the motor is so far back under the cab the cabover would be a whole lot easer to work on

Don't need COE's, just start building the Superliner again. Problem solved.

Back when cabovers were a large part of trucking in this country, there was a different breed of driver in the seat. Experience was prevelant rather than distant. I can only imagine the fatality rate with many current truck drivers in a cabover.

How things have changed.

My favorite cabover always was the IH Transtar II with a 8V-71 and an RTO-9513 on 3.70's. The two I drove were smooth, relatively quiet, and quite fast for their day.

Rob

I sure agree with that statement! i see things done almost daily in other trucks that scare the livin'shit outta' me! 3-4 weeks "training" then they get cut loose with an 80,000 pound weapon of mass destruction! i once interviewed a woman (on my companies behalf) that had recently puchased her own truck,and was looking to sign on with us as an owner-operator,looking into her work history and driving record,i found out she had been terminated from werner enterprizes,reason she gave was they let her go after her 4TH rollover accident!...................Mark

:SMOKIE-LFT: I think they sould bring back the Superliner too David. I agree with vision about the drivers today. I always give the lights a flash when someone passes me and flash the four ways if someone flashes me when I pass them. I find I flash the headlighs a lot more tha any one flashes in return. It makes me feel good when another driver does, but it's not often any more.

How things have changed.

Rob

The Transtar II and F Model Mack were the best looking cabovers on the road, they had style. Ron

Don't need COE's, just start building the Superliner again. Problem solved.

Amen to that! Bring back the Superliner.

The only cabovers I ever drove were Mack F models and MH's. A few months ago I thought I wanted a cabover to restore but after talking with my dad I came to my sences. We didn't like em then, probably wouldn't like em now. I never did like looking out the rear view mirror to make sure I was on my side of the road.

My first new truck was a cabover Mack MH,allthough it WAS a good truck,i dont miss it at all! other than the short wheeelbase getting in and out of a tight spot it was a rough riding SOB! dont miss getting dressed laying down either! the hood is good!.....................Mark

I agree Mark, I dont remember anything comfortable bout a cabover, I drove 2 different IH transtars and they bout beat me to death, specially on bridges and cement highways randyp

I agree Mark, I dont remember anything comfortable bout a cabover, I drove 2 different IH transtars and they bout beat me to death, specially on bridges and cement highways randyp

I know what you mean! i drove an F-model when i was younger,i still have nightmares! that thing just about shook/beat my guts loose!.........Mark

i got 1 and love it 91 mh all air ride v8 500 i wouldnt trade it for 10 peterbilts

post-1912-026675800 1293021600_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

i got 1 and love it 91 mh all air ride v8 500 i wouldnt trade it for 10 peterbilts

there is more KW cabovers down here than any where else in the world I think, they are ok as a truck, limited room a little bumpy, but they are great for hard to get to spots, especially when backing a B Double (25ft A trailer an a 45ft B trailer) around a 90degree corner into a dock. I was told a while ago that the USA were going to be trialing B Doubles soon and Freightliner were doing a new cab over for the trials over there, I could never find any more info tho.

Grant

"Smart, Very Smart" (as per Magnavox electronics advertising but perfectly applicable here).

Rob

The only MHs I drove were UPS's, and for a spring ride single axle they rode pretty good. In fact, I feel the MH is the finest cabover I've ever driven and a tie for the finest truck I've ever driven with the R model and the late CX. I've driven just about every cabover built- IH 9670 & 4070, White RC2, Freightliners except the Argosy, KW K100, Pete 362, Ford W, GMC Astro & "crackerbox"- but none could hold a candle to the MH. However, the Argosy might be a better truck, but given their rareness and the fact I'm retired I'll probably never get a chance to sample one. I did drive a Volvo FL a few times and preferred it to the Ford Cargo, which was a dubious "improvement" over the old C series. Thus, given that the MH tooling is probably gone, a cabover Volvo with Mack drivetrain might be a decent truck... Perish the thought!

That said, there's a nich market for cabovers if someone is brave enough to sell them in the U.S.. For example, Hostess Brands is a thousand tractor fleet that hasn't bought a new tractor since 2004. They prefer cabovers, and probably have the largest fleet of Argosys in the country as well as plenty of older FLBs and even a few FLAs from the 1980s. Someday they're going to have to buy new trucks, and if Mack wants to do the paperwork to make the FM DOT & EPA compliant they'll get a several hundred truck order.