'puter Tricks

Gambi80

On this thread http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/trucks-eighteen-wheelers/107353-fuel-temp-boost-wire.html on a Cat you can wire up resistors to the boost sensor and fuel temp to fool the computer into dumping more fuel faster, resulting in quicker spool up and a bit more power. Is this possible with a Mack...I'm sure mine's too old but on an E-Tech maybe...?

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

We used to put a resistor in the air pipe all the time when I worked at dealer, it tricked it to thinking ambient air temp was colder than it really was, putting a bit more fuel. give me a day or to to remember what how many ohms and how we did it. bobo

We used to put a resistor in the air pipe all the time when I worked at dealer, it tricked it to thinking ambient air temp was colder than it really was, putting a bit more fuel. give me a day or to to remember what how many ohms and how we did it. bobo

It was a 680 ohm resistor in the intake air temp sensor wiring, that was so long ago I cant rembember if it was the first E-TECH's in 1998/99 or the VMAC II's electric pump engines around 1996. Hopefully Bobo will remember more as well.

It was a 680 ohm resistor in the intake air temp sensor wiring, that was so long ago I cant rembember if it was the first E-TECH's in 1998/99 or the VMAC II's electric pump engines around 1996. Hopefully Bobo will remember more as well.

Well, I've got a 97 w/the VMAC II.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I guess it was the first ETECH's , later thay came out with a download and we were told to remove the resistor. SL210013

Pub Type: Letter

Group Code: 210

Number: SL210013

Former Number:

Date: 10/23/1998

Model: E-TECH™ ENGINE

Title: ENGINE MISFIRE — E-TECH™ ENGINE

Engine Misfire — E-Tech™ Engine

In certain vehicle applications and operating environments, a temporary engine misfire with accompanying white smoke may be experienced on some E-Tech™ engines. This condition will generally be noticed when the engine is idling with the coolant temperature in the normal operating range, and little or no cooling air flow across the charge air cooler. It may also be noticed when a loaded vehicle accelerates after a momentary stop (such as stopping for a traffic signal, toll booth, etc.).

To eliminate this condition, an engine ECU service data file has been developed by Mack Trucks, Inc. To receive the appropriate data file, a request must be made to the District Service Manager serving your location. Other means of correcting this misfire condition, such as installing a resistor, must not be used. Additionally, any trucks which have had a resistor installed, must have the resistor removed, and the engine ECU must be reprogrammed with the proper service data file.

To summarize, the following procedures must be used to correct an engine misfire as described above:

Contact your DSM and request to have the engine ECU data file activated.

Use MackNet to download the engine ECU service data file from the MACK Mainframe.

Program the engine ECU with the new service data file.

Upload the verification file to the MACK Mainframe.

Remove the resistor if one had been previously installed.

• 1 month later...

I guess it was the first ETECH's , later thay came out with a download and we were told to remove the resistor. SL210013

Former Number:

In certain vehicle applications and operating environments, a temporary engine misfire with accompanying white smoke may be experienced on some E-Tech™ engines. This condition will generally be noticed when the engine is idling with the coolant temperature in the normal operating range, and little or no cooling air flow across the charge air cooler. It may also be noticed when a loaded vehicle accelerates after a momentary stop (such as stopping for a traffic signal, toll booth, etc.).

To eliminate this condition, an engine ECU service data file has been developed by Mack Trucks, Inc. To receive the appropriate data file, a request must be made to the District Service Manager serving your location. Other means of correcting this misfire condition, such as installing a resistor, must not be used. Additionally, any trucks which have had a resistor installed, must have the resistor removed, and the engine ECU must be reprogrammed with the proper service data file.

To summarize, the following procedures must be used to correct an engine misfire as described above:

Use MackNet to download the engine ECU service data file from the MACK Mainframe.

Where would I install the resistor? I have this exact problem, installed new lift pump but still here. I would like to try this before going to Mack.

A diagram if possible. Thanks in advance.

PS. I love this site, so much info to fill the brain.

Where would I install the resistor? I have this exact problem, installed new lift pump but still here. I would like to try this before going to Mack.

A diagram if possible. Thanks in advance.

PS. I love this site, so much info to fill the brain.

Best I remember this was an unoffical fix that problem and no service bulletin existed. I remember talking to our DSM (distric service manager) and told us to how to install the resistor. The 680 ohm was installed inline on one of the two wires at the intake manifold temp sensor. I will try to find out more.

Former Number:

One thing to keep in mind when installing this service file is that it sometimes causes the problem to worsen at higher altitudes at certain temperatures. We install this file with some regularity and it usually fixes the problem, but a couple of years ago, right after the switch to ulsd fuel, a customer brought a truck in with no real mechanical problems taht was popping/misfiring when accelerating under load, especially from a stop. I installed the file and I could make the engine backfire when sitting still if I held the throttle at 1600 rpm, returned to idle & then tried to go to full throttle. I actually blew a hole in the insulation of the building doing this. I thought maybe it was an ecu problem & switched ecus with another truck-the problem went away completly. Before changing the ecu I checked the datafile in the second ecu & couldn't find the number in my chart. It turned out to be some kind of "above top secret" file that Mack Product Support couldn't enable. Our DSM had to actually turn it on if I remember correctly. It was related to altitude and ambient temp. at 80 degrees. After installing the file everthing was back to normal and there hasn't been a problem with it since then. I haven't seen this happen with any other trucks since then either. It may be something that just occurs with some engines when certain changes are made (such as ulsd fuel). I think it was probably around the same year model as QCDrivers engine but in an RD688S chassis. I'll check back and see if I can maybe find out somemore on this for you.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Thanks, I'll check back here often.

Another thing we did was to move that sensor to a welded in bung in the cold side pipe just after the tube comes out of the after cooler that aparently stoped the heat sinking of the sensor at stop lights.

I checked my information. There are actually different files. One for highway chassis & one for vocational chassis. It is DSM enabled. I was partially incorrect earlier. The file is actually to correct the problem at light load and ambient temperature of 80 degrees. Now that I think about it there was a CH613 that came into the shop shortly after the RD688S with the same problem and thats how I found out about the highway file. It's application depends on the software step in your ecu's. The best way to find out what your ecu's are programmed with is to have your preferred dealership connect to it and find out for sure. Another thing to keep in mind is that you may no longer be able to get this file enabled.

There may also be one for Gambi80. PM me the serial on your truck and I'll look to see what step its supposed to have. Depending on if the engine has been rebuilt, if certain components inside the engine have been replaced, or if the engine has been replaced with a ReMack engine, the datafile may be a "Low Nox" file. This is federal EPA stuff and if this is the case I don't think Mack will change it to something else. This applies to the VMAC I, II, and III chassis with certain serial numbers

There may also be one for Gambi80. PM me the serial on your truck and I'll look to see what step its supposed to have. Depending on if the engine has been rebuilt, if certain components inside the engine have been replaced, or if the engine has been replaced with a ReMack engine, the datafile may be a "Low Nox" file. This is federal EPA stuff and if this is the case I don't think Mack will change it to something else. This applies to the VMAC I, II, and III chassis with certain serial numbers

I give you my last 6

Can you check this one, all original?

Thanks

I give you my last 6

Can you check this one, all original?

Thanks

It looks to be, and all production to boot. This only shows the information Mack is aware of (ie if you swap parts with something from a wrecking yard and don't have a dealership reprogram the new ecu that info won't show up). If you are the original owner and know that nothing has been replaced then what I'm looking at says everything is the same as when it left the factory. You do show to have compatible software (Step 7A) for the file mentioned earlier. The engine, if rebuilt/replaced with New Mack parts, requires a low Nox datafile be installed. Not installing the file when required results in severe financial penalties to the person doing the work and maybe to the owner, I'm not sure on that one. Also, I am unaware of how these are enforced in Canada. Remember that these files don't solve all problems, and certainly not existing mechanical problems.

Best I remember this was an unoffical fix that problem and no service bulletin existed. I remember talking to our DSM (distric service manager) and told us to how to install the resistor. The 680 ohm was installed inline on one of the two wires at the intake manifold temp sensor. I will try to find out more.

Did it matter what of the 2 wires?

• 1 year later...

On this thread http://www.thetrucke...boost-wire.html on a Cat you can wire up resistors to the boost sensor and fuel temp to fool the computer into dumping more fuel faster, resulting in quicker spool up and a bit more power. Is this possible with a Mack...I'm sure mine's too old but on an E-Tech maybe...?

Gambi80e

I have note seene youe poste one the sitee latelelye??EE

I hope alle ise welle

BULLHUSKE LOLE LOLE!E!E!