DPF Issues

striker

'09 Pinnacle, MP8 Mack engine, 126K miles starting to have several DPF issues. Truck is in the shop for the 2nd time in 2 weeks with plugged DPF. Elec. malfunciton lights, VIP readout warnings, no regen symbol lights on the dash and the blue switch isn't lighting up. Truck won't re-gen, but it's also not derating itself or doing things it's supposed to do, dealer hopes to get it fixed correctly this time, they have had it since 2pm today and said it will be done by Sat. afternoon. Wondering if anyone else is having these issues also.

'09 Pinnacle, MP8 Mack engine, 126K miles starting to have several DPF issues. Truck is in the shop for the 2nd time in 2 weeks with plugged DPF. Elec. malfunciton lights, VIP readout warnings, no regen symbol lights on the dash and the blue switch isn't lighting up. Truck won't re-gen, but it's also not derating itself or doing things it's supposed to do, dealer hopes to get it fixed correctly this time, they have had it since 2pm today and said it will be done by Sat. afternoon. Wondering if anyone else is having these issues also.

Foe the most part the DPF's on the CHU/CXU and GU's have few problems. Sometimes on the 08 and early 09 versions that dont have the air purge/self cleaning 7th injector tou have to clean the soot off the 7th injector once or twice a year. The newer 09 and up have fewer problems. Engine issues cause most DPF problems, Bad turbo's, stuck EGR valve, over fueling/cracked injector can flood the DPF with soot or lack of air to burn out the soot. It can be a real pain to figure out. It's not a every day thing but it does happen. We have see this enough now to kinda know what to look for. Good luck and I hope they get it fixed soon.

• Like 1

Foe the most part the DPF's on the CHU/CXU and GU's have few problems. Sometimes on the 08 and early 09 versions that dont have the air purge/self cleaning 7th injector tou have to clean the soot off the 7th injector once or twice a year. The newer 09 and up have fewer problems. Engine issues cause most DPF problems, Bad turbo's, stuck EGR valve, over fueling/cracked injector can flood the DPF with soot or lack of air to burn out the soot. It can be a real pain to figure out. It's not a every day thing but it does happen. We have see this enough now to kinda know what to look for. Good luck and I hope they get it fixed soon.

dropped the truck off on 1/28 about 2pm, they finally got it fixed on 2/2 in the am. Took them 4 days (not counting Sunday that they were off) to determine it was a blown fuse for the blue manual regen button. One simple blown fuse caused massive problems, even had the local engineers Mack Corp. engineers stumped. One of the techs randomly on Monday night was checking fuses and caught it, they replaced it this morning and now it works fine (crosses fingers). The did a forced regen on it to clean it out, and are leaving me an extra fuse and location of that fuse incase it happens again.

dropped the truck off on 1/28 about 2pm, they finally got it fixed on 2/2 in the am. Took them 4 days (not counting Sunday that they were off) to determine it was a blown fuse for the blue manual regen button. One simple blown fuse caused massive problems, even had the local engineers Mack Corp. engineers stumped. One of the techs randomly on Monday night was checking fuses and caught it, they replaced it this morning and now it works fine (crosses fingers). The did a forced regen on it to clean it out, and are leaving me an extra fuse and location of that fuse incase it happens again.

Dont feel bad we had a MRU brought into the shop on 1/6/10 and we finally got it fixed and out on 1/29/10. It had bad DPF problems, we dont know what we did to fix it other than throw lots of parts at it, but we go it done. The MRU and LEU (mostly garbage trucks) have a totally different DPF system on them due to low exhaust temp because of stop and go driving.

• 5 years later...
  • 4 months later...

mp8_macky: 

Where are you, I am in ND? Work from the MT/ND border, (Williston) to Minot area.

I just bought a 2012 CXU613, when you have time holler at me. I would like to know what you have spotted I should look out for. You heard anything about a oil sensor that somehow leaks oil into the harness and it can end up in the computer? Have you cut any of your oil filters open to look for metal?  That's the two I know to watch for so far.

Thanks for posting the link.

ed@maillte.com

IMG_1661.JPG

Edited by Lyfsfun

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Dang I just saw this. I am not very often on forums sorry. I get here from time to time, and inform people about all issues I had and sovled them.

Any how

You heard anything about a oil sensor that somehow leaks oil into the harness and it can end up in the computer? Have you cut any of your oil filters open to look for metal? 

I had a problem with oil leaking into ECM and shorting it. So do the preventive checks.
I didnt cut any filters to look for metal but you can do that, if you find metal - you are toast :) (engine rebuild is about to happen).