High Engine Oil Temp

acegreaser

Customer has a 2001 460 with 68,000 original miles {checked computer for accuracy}Engine oil temp goes up to 230 degrees on uphill climbs.Also when it gets hot oil pressure at idle goes down to 15 psi.Oil pressure goes up to 55 at 1200 rpms and at idle 23psi then once it gets hot it goes down to 15 psi.Water temp running normal 180-200 cycling with fan.Verified oil pressure through the computer and a positive gauge at the filter housing.Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Customer has a 2001 460 with 68,000 original miles {checked computer for accuracy}Engine oil temp goes up to 230 degrees on uphill climbs.Also when it gets hot oil pressure at idle goes down to 15 psi.Oil pressure goes up to 55 at 1200 rpms and at idle 23psi then once it gets hot it goes down to 15 psi.Water temp running normal 180-200 cycling with fan.Verified oil pressure through the computer and a positive gauge at the filter housing.Any suggestions would be appriciated.

That doesn't sound TOO far off...oil temps ought to be high enough that water evaporates out to eliminate contamination...and will be higher on a long climb when the engine is working hard. I was worried about low oil pressure on mine, too...but was told low oil pressure is normal on these engines...everything was within spec.

I'm just an owner/driver...so take my l_3ed82856c4e445b7888aed673356f9a3.gif for what it is...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I've got 703,000 miles on mine...20 lbs at idle, 60 at 1400rpm. Oil temp has crept above 200 a few times in the summer...but it hasn't gotten anywhere near the redline, so I guess I don't worry.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg