Freezing Air Lines/dryer

Flying Pig

My truck has an AD9 air dryer. In the past Ive tried to insulate the line from the compressor to the dryer but the insulation melted. The reason for the insulation is that the air line freezes and plugs before it gets to the air dryer. Im really tired of this. While Im working Ill leave the line loose so some air can escape. If I leave it run overnight to keep the fuel warm, I may find a blown head gasket on the compressor. Its not a bad job to change but it really screws up a days work. Can anyone offer a solution? Do I need to go backwards in time and use an alcohol evaporator? Ive never used one but have had to pour alky down the line to clear it. I keep a torch on hand to melt the ice plug but again its a pain. No I dont use flame around the alky!

You'll never go wrong by doing right.

Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Its down hill all the way. Once it froze up farther forward and another driver gave me his mouth wash to pour down the line. It worked and I made it home. Most often it freezes just ahead of the dryer which is the lowest point. The line is horizontal where it enters the dryer.

My pete/cat has this happen too.. first, put a pressure releaf in the compresser head (pop off) it will save your compresser..

Mine only does this the first really cold spell, when the truck sits, on startup it builds air the first time, then shuts off ok, then when it leaks down to pump the second time, its either really slow or frozen solid. I have to pour alky down the compresser feed line. when it works i'm usually good for the rest of the year...

does your dryer have a heater? is it working?is it getting power?

i've found that mine freezes at the elbow at the inlet to the dryer, it,s a comb of water and oil, sludge.. when sitting it slowly creeps down the line and accumulates there..

hope this helps .. that's all i know..

The dryer has a heater. Im not sure its getting power. I have to change the heater about once a year. Its cold when I discover the problem.

How does an evaporator work?

The dryer has a heater. Im not sure its getting power. I have to change the heater about once a year. Its cold when I discover the problem.

How does an evaporator work?

evaporator goes between your dryer and your first tank. its a container where you fill with air line antifreeze. as the air is pumped through it sucks up the air line antifreeze as a mist and pumps to your tank. works great. cheap addition and a easy install. only about 60.00 dollars. i am in canada and on one of my trucks thats all i have i dont even have a dryer and i never froze up yet. just drain your tanks daily.

also i think if you replace the rubber air hose coming off your compressor with a steel/copper line that would definatly help your freez problem. the line will stay warm that way.

evaporator goes between your dryer and your first tank. its a container where you fill with air line antifreeze. as the air is pumped through it sucks up the air line antifreeze as a mist and pumps to your tank. works great. cheap addition and a easy install. only about 60.00 dollars. i am in canada and on one of my trucks thats all i have i dont even have a dryer and i never froze up yet. just drain your tanks daily.

also i think if you replace the rubber air hose coming off your compressor with a steel/copper line that would definatly help your freez problem. the line will stay warm that way.

What you are describing is actually called an alcohol injector. And alcohol evaporator is installed on the compressor intake. But since some compressors were/are plumbed from the intake manifold you need an alcohol injector.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

There is a great product they use up north in the Industry sector.It's called POLAR LUBE.It is quite exspensive (about $100.00 a gallon) but only a small amount(cap full) works wonders.It is used for the purpose of getting away from any kind of achol base stuff(Methal hydrate etc.)which is as you all know hard on seals,valves etc.The Polar Lube stops airlines from freezing and gunking up plus acts as a lubercant for seals etc.Not sure any help to you

Southern Girls Rule!136.jpg