Biggest R Model Engine?

JerseyBoy77

Hi, excuse the question if it seems a little silly, I'm new here.

What is the largest engine used in R Models? Throught the 1970's to be exact.

Also on a side note, what is the best aftermarket exhaust, performance wise, that would go with such an engine.

Thanks in advance!!

Jess

"You som'bitches could'nt close an umbrella!"

Hi, excuse the question if it seems a little silly, I'm new here.

What is the largest engine used in R Models? Throught the 1970's to be exact.

Also on a side note, what is the best aftermarket exhaust, performance wise, that would go with such an engine.

Thanks in advance!!

Jess

In the timeframe you mention:

The largest Mack inline six cylinder would be a 672 cubic inch engine.

The largest non Mack inline six cylinder would be the 893 cubic inch 1693TA, 3406 Caterpillar engines.

The largest Mack V8 engine would have been the 998 cubic inch ENDT-1000/E-9 series.

I have no knowlege of a 3408, or 3412 series Caterpillar engines being offered in the R series.

Performance exhaust is up to your imagination. There is the option of no mufflers, Riker, Donaldson, and a few others but I'm not akin to aftermarket performance mufflers for heavy truck usage. Most diesel mufflers are very free flowing and are "tuned" for different exhaust note/noise.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

In the timeframe you mention:

The largest Mack inline six cylinder would be a 672 cubic inch engine.

The largest non Mack inline six cylinder would be the 893 cubic inch 1693TA, 3406 Caterpillar engines.

The largest Mack V8 engine would have been the 998 cubic inch ENDT-1000/E-9 series.

I have no knowlege of a 3408, or 3412 series Caterpillar engines being offered in the R series.

Performance exhaust is up to your imagination. There is the option of no mufflers, Riker, Donaldson, and a few others but I'm not akin to aftermarket performance mufflers for heavy truck usage. Most diesel mufflers are very free flowing and are "tuned" for different exhaust note/noise.

Rob

Faaaaaaaaaantastic info!! Thanks very much Rob!

Jess

"You som'bitches could'nt close an umbrella!"

hi,

Was the KT or KTTA Cummins engine offered in Mack trucks in that time frame. I am going to say that you are limiting this to on road tractors or straight trucks. Mack offered some very large trucks for off road and quarry work. There is a quarry in Bedford Indiana that has what they called Mountain Macks. About the only item that looks like a r model is the cab. I think they have some sort of wakashaw engine, HUGE!!!!

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

hi,

Was the KT or KTTA Cummins engine offered in Mack trucks in that time frame. I am going to say that you are limiting this to on road tractors or straight trucks. Mack offered some very large trucks for off road and quarry work. There is a quarry in Bedford Indiana that has what they called Mountain Macks. About the only item that looks like a r model is the cab. I think they have some sort of wakashaw engine, HUGE!!!!

Fred

Yup in the 80s the kt was offered in the superliner It put the front axle up to almost over weight empty on a road tractor.