1957 B Model Mack Project Truck

Thought I show you what I've got to work with. A lil embarrassing, compared to some of the pictures of the B models on this forum. But it mine :thumb:

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0020-1.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0025-1.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024-1.jpg

IMG_0031-1.jpg

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

This is a shot from behind the cab

IMG_0083.jpg

This is the frame rail from behind the R F steer.

Didn't find the ser #

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

Nothing to be embarrassed about there-that's a good looking truck. Sure, it might need a little work, but then most all of them do. Mine certainly does, but a lack of funds kind of has me at a stand-still. It's always good to see these trucks saved from the crusher, even if you never do anything to it-they ain't makin' 'em anymore!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

here is pic of my frame rail. my serial number is towards the bottom of the rail. i'm sure everyone can tell us if all the years are approx the same spot.(as far as at the bottom or middle or whatever.) you might try cleaning towards the bottom a little more though.

i know it was really interesting and helpful to receive info from mack museum after finding the serial #.

i dont really have much expertise myself, but i tore my truck down to frame myself and cab is at body shop now.

i am still amazed at the parts i found available to put it all back together.

good luck with your project. aj

That truck is cherry compared to what I got myself into. All you have to do is see the potential. My friends thought I was crazy when I brought mine home, come to think of it I think I thought I was crazy especially after it was all stripped down. Close to half of my cab will have to have all new sheetmetal just to get started. Alot of the cab framework is rotted away so it has to be replaced and hopefully can get it back to the shape it was supposed to be. I'm learning you just have to be patient and jump right in, don't be afraid to learn new things. I'm doin all the sheetmetal work myself so when I'm done I'll know every square inch of the truck. That's half the fun though is fixin them up. Be sure to post pics of your progress, it helps me feel like I can get mine done some day..

Looks pretty good Glenn. You'd be surprised what a few days of washing and cleaning will do for the ol dawg. I've got a nice muffler/pipe with guard sitting in the back to take care of the straight pipe for ya! I ran it one summer, the the twins on mine and it's been sitting there since. I've got some Bostom T bar seat parts sitting here too. I have a couple nice passenger seats too! Bet yours still has the series/parrallel switch under the passenger seat? I have my cover for it, really nice too, as I dont need it anymore.

That front spring will need fixed up before it gets on the road. I have my drivers side getting separated like yours, but it hasn't blow the U bolts, yet.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Looks pretty good Glenn. You'd be surprised what a few days of washing and cleaning will do for the ol dawg. I've got a nice muffler/pipe with guard sitting in the back to take care of the straight pipe for ya! I ran it one summer, the the twins on mine and it's been sitting there since. I've got some Bostom T bar seat parts sitting here too. I have a couple nice passenger seats too! Bet yours still has the series/parrallel switch under the passenger seat? I have my cover for it, really nice too, as I dont need it anymore.

That front spring will need fixed up before it gets on the road. I have my drivers side getting separated like yours, but it hasn't blow the U bolts, yet.

You know what ??? Talkin about see.. Ever since I visited Jim and sat in the driver's seat of himtruck.. Wow !!! I'd like to fit my truck with a set of 95 Jeep seats LOL

Thanks for the offer Larry I really appreciate that. I luv it how everybody helps out everybody here.. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same for you guys.

GLENN

Got some stuff laying around, sure would like to see it go to use. Hard part is getting it to you. Have to ask Jim how long a drive it is to get down here.

I only have one question about the Jeep seats: Is there air ride under there? Nothing? Hope the springs are cut down on the truck or it might get a bit bouncy. The Torsion seat does take the jar out of the ride. I'd love to have something a big more "cushy" to sit on, but that's down the road.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Your truck has the potential to be a really nice truck if ya just take one step or area at a time. Set it aside and go at something else on the truck, then one day it will all be together and you'll say ( man I wished I had saved my money and bought a new airplane instead of this truck. :lol: Just kidding......My problem is that I have too many projects now. I used to take one at a time and get finished.

Keep us posted

mike

The area behind your spring shackle on the outside looking in toward your framerail is the area to look at, on the flat vertical side of frame. I had to take a putty knife to scrape it to expose the numbers. If its rusty then use kerosene or something to make it showup.

mike

• 1 month later...

Can't wait to get my truck here and get started to work on it.

So in the mean time I've been shopping around for some deals on some of the essentials :wacko:

So I found the most important part of the hole truck.

The Hood Ornament

IMG_0193-2.jpg

Then the Side Profile Hood Ornaments

IMG_0197-2.jpg

A couple of Heat Mirrors

IMG_0196-2.jpg

And a set of new B Model Clearance Lights

IMG_0194-2.jpg

IMG_0195-2.jpg

GLENN

Can't wait to get my truck here and get started to work on it.

So in the mean time I've been shopping around for some deals on some of the essentials :wacko:

So I found the most important part of the hole truck.

The Hood Ornament

IMG_0193-2.jpg

Then the Side Profile Hood Ornaments

IMG_0197-2.jpg

A couple of Heat Mirrors

IMG_0196-2.jpg

And a set of new B Model Clearance Lights

IMG_0194-2.jpg

IMG_0195-2.jpg

You're lookin' good so far! I need a set of those clearance lights too, but it's that "lack of funds" thing.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

At some point in that 1957 truck's existence someone swapped a later model (mid 60's) engine into it.

That engine has the equal length intake runners and combination full flow/bypass oil filter which says "END673P", however it does not have an oil cooler on it as an END673P normally would.

IMG_0032-1.jpg

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

WOW . . . AWESOME ! I wished my truck looked half that good when i got it . . . :angry:

My truck started out a LOT ! ! ! worse rust dent's wholes rotten steal missing parts broken glass engine with no oil cap crank case full of water. . .

you got tires with tread and side walls ! . . . I had bald cord's popping out tubes sticking threw almost off of them where flat !

they had more crack's then rubber, some how with 4 fresh batteries a sheet of ply wood and several gallons of oil and a boat tank full of diesel fuel i got it to fire up and drive home . . . Tho it it blew out 4 tires on the way there 2 tires on each axle held air long enough to roll on home most of which blew out the following morning when the summer sun came out !

Months n months $1000 bill after $1000 bill i finally i had a truck almost as good as your's . . .

:clap: Great find :clap: you lucky devil you :thumb:

Mike

1953 Studebaker M275. Reo 331 I-6, Spicer 5spd-DD, 6.72 Gears, 11.00R20H tires.

1959 Mack B61T. Mack END+T 711 I-6, 2 stick 15spd-OD, 6.38 Gears, 12.00-24J tires.

1962 GMC K4500. GMC 379M-V6, SM420-4spd-DD, 5.13 Gears, 8-19.5G tires.

1969 AMC AMX. AMC 390 Crossram, borgwarner T-10 4spd, 4.44 Gears, G60-14s Front N50-15s Rear.

1975 Mack DM600. 300 Mack 6spd 4.17 gears 445/65R22.5 front n 12.00R20 rear.

1976 Arctic Cat Jag2000. 275cc twin, belt drive, steal grips.

1977 Ford F350. 351M V-8, 4spd-DD, 4.56 Gears, 245/70R19.5G tires.

1988 AMC Jeep MJ. 2.5L I-4, 4spd-DD, 4.10 Gears 215/70R15 front 225/70R15 rear.

1992 Trans AM GTA. 406SBC TBI, 4L60E, 3.73 Gears, 245/50R16 front 295/50R16 Rear.

1995 GMC K2500 6.5-T, 4L80E, 4.10 gears 7.50-16D tires. 4.56 Gears coming soon.

2007 Honda Rubicon 500cc Single, 5spd fluid drive trans, 27x10-12 Front 27x12-12 Rear.

Still in search of M52 5 ton tractor, M123A1C 10 ton tractor

You're lookin' good so far! I need a set of those clearance lights too, but it's that "lack of funds" thing.

They're really not that expensive. I think they were $100 after shipping on ebay.

At some point in that 1957 truck's existence someone swapped a later model (mid 60's) engine into it.

You could very well be right. I'm not even sure if this block is any good. The guy I bought it from doesn't seem to know very much about the truck. We just know it drove to were it sits now.

I had a sneaky suspicion there was something going on under the hood.. Some things just seem to be out of place. For instance, that upper rad hose is painful to look at, but like a nascar wreck, you can't look away. I'll know more once I get the truck home. Degrease it and look for some numbers. Trk is in winter storage for now.

All that new chrome looks great, kind of like jewelry. :thumb:

You can't go wrong with shiny jewelry :thumb: "That's what she says."

I was going to say it's helping me stay motivated on this project, but even if I didn't have all this shiny accessories I think I would still be anxious to get started on this resto.

Even watching your build Jim, is making me want to rush through winter and get started on my truck.

GLENN

WOW . . . AWESOME ! I wished my truck looked half that good when i got it . . . :angry:

My truck started out a LOT ! ! ! worse rust dent's wholes rotten steal missing parts broken glass engine with no oil cap crank case full of water. . .

you got tires with tread and side walls ! . . . I had bald cord's popping out tubes sticking threw almost off of them where flat !

they had more crack's then rubber, some how with 4 fresh batteries a sheet of ply wood and several gallons of oil and a boat tank full of diesel fuel i got it to fire up and drive home . . . Tho it it blew out 4 tires on the way there 2 tires on each axle held air long enough to roll on home most of which blew out the following morning when the summer sun came out !

Months n months $1000 bill after $1000 bill i finally i had a truck almost as good as your's . . .

:clap: Great find :clap: you lucky devil you :thumb:

Mike

Thanks Mike

For a while there I was a lil embarrassed to even post pictures on my truck in it's original state. I was thinken you guy would think I was nuts to attempt this project. Thanks for the compliments man.

At this point I think if I can save that engine and get it running for under a couple $1000 I'll be a head of the game and the body work will be a breeze.

I really enjoyed all the pictures. They tell a story. You will be surprised how different that truck will look after you start in on it!!

That's me... Not very good with the words. I like threads with lots of pictures. I sometimes forget to bring my camera with me when I go out in the shop and work on my Panel Van. I'll work all weekend with out taking a picture. Ooops.

Now I try and bring the camera and just put it on the bench as a reminder.

After I get started on this resto I hope I'm not gonna be surprised in a bad way. So far what I've seen in the few visits to the truck is all good. A lot of the bad parts are just gonna be R and R the only bad part was the floor. And Phantom309 (Jim) was nice enough to give me his left over floor parts from his Car Hauler build. :thumb:

GLENN

No shame in a truck like that! That is what I like to call a "bad-mamma-jamma!"....awesome truck! Still looks tough at a stand still with some "time" on it.

Congrats on the new mirrors and ornaments you got for it...look foward to seeing more!

--Jess

"You som'bitches could'nt close an umbrella!"

My truck was an embarrassment :pat: even die hard they all can be saved collectors where like yank the glass and recycle it . . . :angry:

I showed them :thumb: Old :mack1:'s never die they just lose weight increasing Payload :SMOKIE-LFT:

My truck is a running driving working pulling truck that starts runs drives steers and stops :chili:

with shiny paint :SMOKIE-LFT: So now its my turn to :lol: at them . . .

Mike

1953 Studebaker M275. Reo 331 I-6, Spicer 5spd-DD, 6.72 Gears, 11.00R20H tires.

1959 Mack B61T. Mack END+T 711 I-6, 2 stick 15spd-OD, 6.38 Gears, 12.00-24J tires.

1962 GMC K4500. GMC 379M-V6, SM420-4spd-DD, 5.13 Gears, 8-19.5G tires.

1969 AMC AMX. AMC 390 Crossram, borgwarner T-10 4spd, 4.44 Gears, G60-14s Front N50-15s Rear.

1975 Mack DM600. 300 Mack 6spd 4.17 gears 445/65R22.5 front n 12.00R20 rear.

1976 Arctic Cat Jag2000. 275cc twin, belt drive, steal grips.

1977 Ford F350. 351M V-8, 4spd-DD, 4.56 Gears, 245/70R19.5G tires.

1988 AMC Jeep MJ. 2.5L I-4, 4spd-DD, 4.10 Gears 215/70R15 front 225/70R15 rear.

1992 Trans AM GTA. 406SBC TBI, 4L60E, 3.73 Gears, 245/50R16 front 295/50R16 Rear.

1995 GMC K2500 6.5-T, 4L80E, 4.10 gears 7.50-16D tires. 4.56 Gears coming soon.

2007 Honda Rubicon 500cc Single, 5spd fluid drive trans, 27x10-12 Front 27x12-12 Rear.

Still in search of M52 5 ton tractor, M123A1C 10 ton tractor

• 3 weeks later...