E-Tech Em7 -300

Maxville Truck

Looking to upgrade the HP in an em7-300 engine in a truck we are building, checked around a bit was told that all i need is different injectors and I can get an upkick in power.... Our local mack service shop said they can change programming within the specs of the engine..(Injectors , turbo) to get a little more. This truck is an MR with an allison hd4560p tranny I will be installing a 3rd drive axle and mounting a 4500 gallon Manure Tank. figure I will gross around 62,000. Would like closer to 400hp. this is the first e-tech I've had and don't have experience with it any advice would be appreciated.

Looking to upgrade the HP in an em7-300 engine in a truck we are building, checked around a bit was told that all i need is different injectors and I can get an upkick in power.... Our local mack service shop said they can change programming within the specs of the engine..(Injectors , turbo) to get a little more. This truck is an MR with an allison hd4560p tranny I will be installing a 3rd drive axle and mounting a 4500 gallon Manure Tank. figure I will gross around 62,000. Would like closer to 400hp. this is the first e-tech I've had and don't have experience with it any advice would be appreciated.

Your main issure will likly be cooling!With an ally and 400 horse you may be pushing the limits of the rad!

Your ETECH EM7-300 puts out 300HP/1425 ft ibs of torque, a normal E7-300 puts out 300/1160, the next real jump up would be to go to a E7-400 400hp/1460 ft lbs. This would involve bigger injectors, bigger turbo, removing cam and installing a offset key way in the cam gear and software downloads ( I dont know that Mack Specs would bump up the HP to 400 on an MR). I know the MR radiators cant keep that (400 HP) cool. I would stay with what you got. I would adjust the valves, check the fuel pressure( 100psi), install a new set of injectors, check turbo boost pressure under a load (16-22psi) and take it to a Mack dealer and have them install the newest software in both ECM's.

Quick question about the cooling... will the engine derate if it gets hot??? if so does it slowwly derate or just shut down? also can the motors be programmed to accelerate a little quicker to full power? I've got 2 "vulva's" with poo tanks one is an STC l-10 with ht 740 was a real pile until I played with the pump changed button, set aneroid screws up, I got lucky with the settings because I didn't get any smoke but sure gained some power, was originally a 260 i'm guessing its at least 350 now.. the other is an ism 305 and also ht740 allison.. that truck is alot "snappier" than both the etech 300 and the l-10 was... hoping to get some snap from the e=tech. as far as cooling I'm not concerned.. the cummins allison combos barely get the trannys to 180 our load cycles ussually go as follows.. 1 to 10 mile trip to field 3 minute unload time in low gear. empty return trip to pit (no load on drive train) and 2 to 5 minute get loaded timing. plenty of cooling time. besides my other trucks are all macks with t2060's and turned up e7's maybe pushing between 350 and 400, al long as we keep the radiators cleaned out we have no problems.

• Like 1

Quick question about the cooling... will the engine derate if it gets hot??? if so does it slowwly derate or just shut down? also can the motors be programmed to accelerate a little quicker to full power? I've got 2 "vulva's" with poo tanks one is an STC l-10 with ht 740 was a real pile until I played with the pump changed button, set aneroid screws up, I got lucky with the settings because I didn't get any smoke but sure gained some power, was originally a 260 i'm guessing its at least 350 now.. the other is an ism 305 and also ht740 allison.. that truck is alot "snappier" than both the etech 300 and the l-10 was... hoping to get some snap from the e=tech. as far as cooling I'm not concerned.. the cummins allison combos barely get the trannys to 180 our load cycles ussually go as follows.. 1 to 10 mile trip to field 3 minute unload time in low gear. empty return trip to pit (no load on drive train) and 2 to 5 minute get loaded timing. plenty of cooling time. besides my other trucks are all macks with t2060's and turned up e7's maybe pushing between 350 and 400, al long as we keep the radiators cleaned out we have no problems.

It will shut down!you have one minute to get off the road after the red light comes on!

For some levels of software, there is a throttle responce program that can be downloaded to help with poor throttle responce. We usually install these programs into 2003 and up ETECHS, it might be avalible for your 99.

• 4 weeks later...

hi, i have MR truck with around 490 hp with injector hi-flow

---and my rad is get no hot! around 180F -190F max!

you can re-flash your ECU by Illinois Dyno Center

very simple ! easy!

1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 Mack E-TEC ETECH - All Models - Power - Mileage - Performance Chip - ECM Re-Flash Tuning

We now offer precise engine management tuning for all 1998-07 MACK ETEC engines, by re-flashing your ECM for more Power & Better Fuel Mileage! - $1195

Requires Removal & Shipment of your Truck's BOSCH Engine Control Module to us for precise engine tuning.

Safely Adds from 15% up to 30% More POWER! - with Power increases of 50HP, 75HP, 100HP, 125HP, or 150HP! - Your choice!

Send us your ECM, along with the increased power you need, and we'll make it happen!

Please allow 3-5 working days for return delivery.

If you have any questions - call us at (309) 523-9200

Edited by modblaster

HIGH TORQUE INJECTORS 20%

• 11 years later...

One thing about the EM-7, the torque (1425 lb. ft.) comes in at like 1000 RPM. It might work well just like it is, especially with that Allison. I have heard nothing but good things about the pair. The thing about Mack RD/MR/RM trucks, they will never be race cars, but the don't get stuck (Unless it just sinks completely) and are very reliable if you service it regularly. I have a 1994 RD690S (as a dump truck) with the EM-7 @ 300hp and an Eaton 10spd an it is a VERY reliable truck. It routinely hauls 17-19 tons, daily. It's actually my most profitable truck, lol.

• 1 year later...

I’m relatively new to macks, I bought a 2001 rd688 with the em7 300/Allison ht740. I was wanting to swap that’s trans out for a 4560 to be able to run interstate speeds and not be turning 2100rpm the whole way. I’ve called a couple shops and they act like it isn’t something easily done?

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2022 at 9:11 PM, GulfMack said:

I’m relatively new to macks, I bought a 2001 rd688 with the em7 300/Allison ht740. I was wanting to swap that’s trans out for a 4560 to be able to run interstate speeds and not be turning 2100rpm the whole way. I’ve called a couple shops and they act like it isn’t something easily done?

I have researched installing the Allison HD4560 in various different chassis, mostly to improve driver comfort on long days. 

As I understand it, the Allison HT740 is a 'mechanical' automatic trans with a non-locking convertor and the HT4560 is computer controlled with a locking convertor.

I know (I have seen) a Mack Rd688 with an E7 and Allison HD4560 from Mack, so I know its possible. To convert? Probably need to get the VIN off a factory automatic Mack and do a dealer parts change list -or- you would need a stand-alone controller for the Ally - which I have never found. Also need another program for the engine, I am sure they are completely different.

I know of a company in my area that converted a Freightshaker from manual to automatic and they spent something on the order of $20-25k.

Edited by EastTex Cartage