King Pin Adjustment

Hi Guys. My B61 has a FA505 front axle.

I believe the king pins can be adjusted. In the manual, it looks like I have "type III". According to the manual, I jack under the axle centre to remove the load, remove the cotter pin and adjust the thrust bearing screw to bring within tolerance.

Has anyone done this and are there any things to watch for?

Thanks. Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

I believe the king pins can be adjusted. In the manual, it looks like I have "type III". According to the manual, I jack under the axle centre to remove the load, remove the cotter pin and adjust the thrust bearing screw to bring within tolerance.

Thanks. Rod.

RodMan

GuddayM8

in the straight ahead poistion is where most of the work n wear iz dun

so if U nip up the adjuster a notch then check th@ the steerin aint binding on both full locks,

above the adjuster nut is sum encaged ball bearings ( a simpler name eludez me)

it may B damaged n may need replacing

jist make sure it aint lockin up on full lock

cya

§wishy

Thanks. Rod.

The only adjustment you will get from what your doing is up and down!Don't be fooled by thinkng your able to adjust side movment if you adjust tight enough to cover up side movment its too tight.

http://12.158.118.195/maint/Bulletins/11-sb422004.pdf

fjh is right the only adjustment to stop the knuckle binding on the beam.

As a straight pin at either end when the bushings/ bearings are worn there is

nothing you can do when they are worn. It is a good idea to keep the adj in specs

as to not have too mutch float as to pound the thrust button to bits.........Mark

http://12.158.118.195/maint/Bulletins/11-sb422004.pdf

fjh is right the only adjustment to stop the knuckle binding on the beam.

As a straight pin at either end when the bushings/ bearings are worn there is

nothing you can do when they are worn. It is a good idea to keep the adj in specs

as to not have too mutch float as to pound the thrust button to bits.........Mark

Hi Mark, the link does not appear to function properly.

You would be adjusting for a clearance of about .005 between the spindle and top of the axle beam with the axle loaded. If you can't get that clearance close the thrust bearing is probably worn out and time for replacement. That is not too difficult of job but if needing to go that far just get a king pin, (or bolt) kit and replace everything. The top should be a needle bearing pack, the bottom a pre sized bushing that does not require reaming to size. Of course all the seals, and shims, (sometimes) are included.

I've found from a labor standpoint that it is more cost advantageous to replace everything at once rather than to piece meal it together and then do it again at a later date.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks for your input guys.

From my research, the FA505 has TAPERED PINS;

http://www.meritorhvs.com/MeritorHVS_Documents/pb8951.pdf

In this document, they are depicted as "type E". However, as mine have the adjustment nuts on the bottom, they sure do look like "Type D".

Rod.

And this;

http://catalog.elginind.com/app/HeavyDuty....t=King+Pin+Sets

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

Thanks for your input guys.

From my research, the FA505 has TAPERED PINS;

http://www.meritorhvs.com/MeritorHVS_Documents/pb8951.pdf

In this document, they are depicted as "type E". However, as mine have the adjustment nuts on the bottom, they sure do look like "Type D".

Rod.

And this;

http://catalog.elginind.com/app/HeavyDuty....t=King+Pin+Sets

Hi Rod, here are a few photos of a king pin set for a 505 axle. This set is brand new.

Rob

post-78-1248734773_thumb.jpg

post-78-1248734783_thumb.jpg

post-78-1248734789_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rod,Go to Mack and ask for King Pin set 501SQ45A. Fits FA,505 FA,511.

Gleemans No for PAI AKP-9520 pin set. Keep away from Meritor stuff it is differentt to the old stuff.

I just replaced the front axle ( found a new axle beam 538) with narrow centre bolt centres

on the old mack 2 weeks ago king pins, new steer springs, tie rods bearings ect.

took me 9 hours by my self. It dont get any easer as you get older but i did it in a day..... Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Replacing the pins on my B was easier then any old Ford I beam I've done. Couple hours to fully dismantle the front end and that included jacking it up, getting the tires off, and knocking it apart fully to bare bones. Mine has the taperd pins as shown by Rob, though don't recall what my axle number is?

I assembled it, seating the bottom nut fully and haven't touched it in 8 yrs. Never really knew what the spec was? Still steers with two fingers, goes down the road at 65 with no hands.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Hi Guys. Finally found this;

p1010076q.th.jpg

p1010076ac.th.jpg

It looks like I just have to adjust "F-Thrust Bearing Nut" as shown in image top, left hand side. Rod.

Hi Rod, yes that is true of what you must adjust. You need to obtain .005, (five thousandths) of an inch clearance between the top of the axle beam, and the bottom of the spindle top pivot point. This is shown on your diagram as "C", and labled the top knuckle bushing. The spindle pivots on the king pin there. If your clearance cannot be adjusted closer than about .015, (fifteen thousandths) between these two points, replace the king pins and bushings.

Rob