Mack E9 V8

I need some info on Mack's infamous E9 V8. Anything will do including technical specs, operational stories etc. I intend to write an article for the antique truck mags on this engine and I will acknowledge all. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

John

I need some info on Mack's infamous E9 V8. Anything will do including technical specs, operational stories etc. I intend to write an article for the antique truck mags on this engine and I will acknowledge all. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

John

Is this article like America's most wanted, most notorious, most ill conceived, or what?

John-

Yaworski Trucking from Canterbury,CT has the last Superliner built which has a Mack V8 E9-500 motor. In 1970 Mack introduced a 325 hp Maxidyne V-8 diesel (ENDT 865 V-8) and in 1985 Mack introduced the E-9 500hp V8 motor. Not sure what years the other V8 motors were in production.

John,

I think I would disagree with the term "infamous".

Anyone I know who has, or currently is, operating an E-9

really likes it.

Two of the contractors who work for us have fleets of five or six

E-9 equipped Macks, and really don't know what they are going to

replace them with, as they time out.

Saw the new truck in Macungie - sure looks good!

Paul Van Scott

John,

I think I would disagree with the term "infamous".

Anyone I know who has, or currently is, operating an E-9

really likes it.

Two of the contractors who work for us have fleets of five or six

E-9 equipped Macks, and really don't know what they are going to

replace them with, as they time out.

Saw the new truck in Macungie - sure looks good!

Paul Van Scott

I am glad you put your two cents worth in, that's what i am taking issue with.

Hi,

I think if you was to go back a few months on this forum there was a mechanic that was a v8 mack guru.. I can't remember how long it was though, posible that someone could rember who it was or he would come forward. Are you only going for only the e-9 engine or are you starting with a history on the v-8s from the b-model years, through their evolution?

B61 fred

p.s. nice to talk with you at macungie... would have loved to see the b80 series truck up close..... may be someday.

Fred a.k.a. Morgan Heaton

15 gears...no waiting!

g day john i cant tell u much i havnt drove one far only ben a passenger in one they are a awsome pice of machinary.. we still have one on the road. 10 years ago they where the biggest truck on the road and nothing would out pull them if they are tunned up propperly. they have a 9 speed gear box very rarley u have to change gear pulling up a hill .

Apologies for that ill-placed adjective. In fact, most people that I have talked to really like that E9 V8 engine. I simply want to put something together that discusses some of the development and success that Mack enjoyed with the E9. In talking with the folks at the Mack museum, some of the development stuff is still proprietary but I met someone from the Mack plant at the Macungie show last week and he will try to put me in touch the some folks in Hagerstown. Apparently, they still hand-build a few E9's per week for export only. Once I have some names, I'll make a trip down there and see what materials that might be available for public consumption. There was some material posted on this site some weeks ago on the different versions of the E9 that appeared in past issues of the Bulldog magazine. I have those but don't know what year these issues were published. Anyway, thanks for the comments-keep them coming!!

Best regards,

John

QUITE A GOOD ENGINE IF TUNNED PROPERLY.

JERRY KISSINGER'S "MAKE A WISH" MACK SUPERLINER HAS A MACK E9 ENGINE, PUTING 800 HP.

DALE FRANCIS OF FRANCIS ENGINEERING ONE OF THE BEST MACK E9 V8 TUNNERS HAS TAKEN THESE ENGINES TO PRODUCE FROM 1,000 UP TO 2,600 HP WITH MODIFICATIONS SUCH AS QUAD TURBO SYSTEMS (2 PRIMARY CHARGERS AND 2 SECONDARY CHARGERS)

MACK E9 POWERED HOT ROD SEMI AND SUPER SEMI IN THE PRO-PULLING LEAGUE HAVE OUTPLACED THE DETROIT ENGINES. MACK E9 V8 ARE THE ENGINES TO BEAT IN THAT CLASS.

BANDAG TITAN, A DRAG RACE /SHOW TRUCK THAT WITH A 2,000 HP MACK E9 V8 ENGINE HAS A BEST E.T ON THE 1/4 MILE OF 11.6 SECONDS.

DETROIT DIESEL FANS HERE ARE PISSED-OFF BECAUSE I AM EDUCATING DRAG RACE TRUCK ENTHUSIASTS ABOUT THE POWER OF THE MACK E9 ENGINE.

John,

There is good comment made earlier here -

You might consider contacting Dale Francis at Francis Engineering,

if you haven't done so already.

I have heard that he is an authority on these V-8's, especially in

the aftermarket and modifications that might be possible. He may

be able to help you with some of the historical and technical data.

Paul Van Scott

John,

There is good comment made earlier here -

You might consider contacting Dale Francis at Francis Engineering,

if you haven't done so already.

I have heard that he is an authority on these V-8's, especially in

the aftermarket and modifications that might be possible. He may

be able to help you with some of the historical and technical data.

Paul Van Scott

Paul:

I really appreciate your comments and suggestions. Do you have a contact telephone number or web site for Dale Francis? Just for the record, I have an invitation almost organized to visit the Hagersville test center. I am told that the E9 is no longer manufactured. More later.

Best regards,

John

Paul:

I really appreciate your comments and suggestions. Do you have a contact telephone number or web site for Dale Francis? Just for the record, I have an invitation almost organized to visit the Hagersville test center. I am told that the E9 is no longer manufactured. More later.

Best regards,

John

Fred:

It was good to meet you too in the pouring rain at Macungie. I will seriously consider bringing the Procter Mack B-813SX to Macungie next year. It has shown very well at the AACA shows in Hershey winning the President's Junior, Senior and Grand National awards for the Hershey division last year.

Best regards,

John

Hey maybe you guys remember back a couple of years ago I bought a 96 CL from canada and put a Grain/Silage box on it for my cousin. I recently posted a video of it in operation at the home farm...... Made an AWESOME Silage truck.....

I also pulled a a superliner that had a en e-9 in it at a local pull the competition had 2007 and 2006 trucks with turned up c-15 cat and turned up detroit 60 series.... They pulled first ... one guys clutch slipped the other guy didn't fair much better.... I hooked dropped the 12 speed into 3rd high slipped the clutch a little until she built boost dropped hammer and went at least 75 feet further than they did, although we were all green at pulling and I have to admit i outweighed them by at least 8000lbs it was still fun !!

Apologies for that ill-placed adjective. In fact, most people that I have talked to really like that E9 V8 engine. I simply want to put something together that discusses some of the development and success that Mack enjoyed with the E9. In talking with the folks at the Mack museum, some of the development stuff is still proprietary but I met someone from the Mack plant at the Macungie show last week and he will try to put me in touch the some folks in Hagerstown. Apparently, they still hand-build a few E9's per week for export only. Once I have some names, I'll make a trip down there and see what materials that might be available for public consumption. There was some material posted on this site some weeks ago on the different versions of the E9 that appeared in past issues of the Bulldog magazine. I have those but don't know what year these issues were published. Anyway, thanks for the comments-keep them coming!!

Best regards,

John

The E9 is not just a truck engine, They were also used by the French Army to power battle tanks. They were also used as Marine engines. As big as they are, they are still lighter than other choices, for a reliable 1000 HP.

hello guys

here you have a phone number off dale franchis his shop :(440)254-4046

cell :(440)476-3363

ore you can mail him :dalefrancis33@aol.com

what i now is hey must have a huge collection off E-9 parts he and jr collins bought a lot off E-9 stuf on the hagerstown mack powertrain plant sow iff you need info call him greetings rene

MACK FOREVER :mack1:

Hello everyone been a while since I've been on. I wanted to tell everyone that I have several articles on the Mighty E-9 Mack engine in my galleries that I scanned from old issues of The Bulldog mag.The last E-9's built in Australia were factory 610 hp@ 2050 pft. Awsome..To see the articles just click on my gallery and look for the E-9 gallery..enjoy.

Matt

• Like 1

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

Hello everyone been a while since I've been on. I wanted to tell everyone that I have several articles on the Mighty E-9 Mack engine in my galleries that I scanned from old issues of The Bulldog mag.The last E-9's built in Australia were factory 610 hp@ 2050 pft. Awsome..To see the articles just click on my gallery and look for the E-9 gallery..enjoy.

Matt

Matt:

I did get those-thank you for sharing. What year did those articles on the E9 appear in the Bulldog magazine? Was there anything else published in the Bulldog magazine on the E9? Are these online anywhere so that one could do a search with a keyword-anybody?

Regards,

John

Francis Engineering

Francis Engineering features more than 60 different machines to handle your performance needs. Ranging from chassis manufacturing to engine building and everything in between, Francis Engineering has you covered. Located in Leroy, Ohio Francis Engineering not only builds and machines everything in-house, they are also a warehouse distributor for over 1,100 different parts manufacturers and distributors. For more information, contact Dale Francis at (440) 254-4046 or fax (440) 254-2003

• 2 weeks later...

Matt

the article on the 610 hp E-9 was from the fall 1997 issue and the marine E-9 nad the army E-9 both appeared in the summer 1997 issue of the Bulldog. Sorry it took so long to respond beeen out on the road sometimes working sometimes sitting around waiting for the next load.

I was actually trying to reply to heavyhauler....I'm not sure I know you can only go back to 05 at mack.com..

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS