Spring To Air Ride Rear Suspension

farmer52

I finally got my MH612 home today. An uneventful drive (340 miles) but the PA turnpike about did me in. The truck bounced most of the time when on anything but smooth pavement. Thank God for an air ride seat. It would be nice to have an air ride suspension. How difficult would it be to convert a single axle spring suspension to an air ride? I am sure it is not cheap. Has anyone done the conversion? If it can be done, is it a "bolt up" or does the frame need to be drilled? Thanks!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Try contacting ACE in California.

(American Carrier Equipment, I think)

They sell a single axle air ride crossmember that

they fabricate for exactly your purpose. It replaces

your rear crossmember and rear spring hangers.

You use your original springs and front hangers so

there is no fabrication required. Some drilling is required

for the mounting of the crossmember, but it is minimal.

I am installing this system on one of my trucks and, so far,

I've been real happy with the set-up.

Pricing was very reasonable, I thought. Around $1,500.00

delivered to my door. That was a couple of years ago, so

it is probably a bit more today.

I don't know what you are running for tires, but a set of tubeless

radials might make a big difference.

Or - a good old fashioned heavy load will usually smooth out the ride, too.

Sounds like a nice truck - Good Luck!

Paul Van Scott

Paul Van Scott

Thanks Paul for the information. The truck has new recap Michelin XDN2 11R22.5 radial tires. I am pursuing a 40' drop van (moving van). Do you think an empty trailer will be enough to smooth the ride?

post-3289-1238461945_thumb.jpg

Ken

Thanks Paul for the information. The truck has new recap Michelin XDN2 11R22.5 radial tires. I am pursuing a 40' drop van (moving van). Do you think an empty trailer will be enough to smooth the ride?

post-3289-1238461945_thumb.jpg

American Carrier Superride was what they were called. Nice people to talk with and as Paul said a nice product offered.

I would seriously look at the air ride cutoff Glenn has. He says it is in good shape, and I would take stock in that.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Paul Van Scott

Sent AC an email last night. They replied today and the price is $1600 plus freight FOB CA. There is a dealer near me that sells and installs this suspension. I am going to call them for a quote. But for $1600 I will just "bounce" along until I get a trailer.

Ken

Ken

Look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mack-Single...sspagenameZWDVW

Keep in mind the R frame is 33" wide your MH is 34". Is your cab air ride working ok? I have a MH612 and it rides better than my pickup.

Yes cab air ride is working okay (to the best of my knowledge). While I am not physically bouncing in the cab, the rear of the truck is skipping along. My concern is on wet highways and when using cruise control. Not sure about stability on wet highways. Can't be good on the cruise setting if rear is bouncing (not good on tires either).

Ken

I can recommend one thing that will greatly reduce tire wear. Centramatic balancers. They work. I get over 100k out of my steer tires and that's pulling flatbed and averaging 11500 lbs on the steer axle with nearly every load. The light rear end and the stiff springs while bobtailing are gonna make it bounce though and the centramatics only keep the tires balanced so good luck on getting a wagon for her. By the way avoid bobtailing in the rain when ever possible other wise start practicing OOOHHHHH SS########TTTTT. Bad deal all the way around. Bobtail big trucks spin like a top if you lose traction on wet roads.... ask me how I know.

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

Bobtailing on wet roads is always a recipe for disaster. Air ride suspension won't change that. You may have tires out of round or balance. What is your VIN? You must have one of the last MH's built.

The rear tires are new and not out of round or balance. But I am sure they will not stay that way. I think the MHs were built until 1994 but I may be wrong. It has the EM7-300 engine, built January 23, 1992, and delivered to Martin's February 20, 1992.

Ken

The rear tires are new and not out of round or balance. But I am sure they will not stay that way. I think the MHs were built until 1994 but I may be wrong. It has the EM7-300 engine, built January 23, 1992, and delivered to Martin's February 20, 1992.

Being built on my birthday ensures that it will be a good truck.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

,............or a lemon............................... :huh:

:blah:

That's a good one! However I must admit that truck identifies with my features; Short, and stubby in length with a choppy ride. How sweet in itself, (just like me) so it's got to be good.

Rob

I can recommend one thing that will greatly reduce tire wear. Centramatic balancers. They work. I get over 100k out of my steer tires and that's pulling flatbed and averaging 11500 lbs on the steer axle with nearly every load. The light rear end and the stiff springs while bobtailing are gonna make it bounce though and the centramatics only keep the tires balanced so good luck on getting a wagon for her. By the way avoid bobtailing in the rain when ever possible other wise start practicing OOOHHHHH SS########TTTTT. Bad deal all the way around. Bobtail big trucks spin like a top if you lose traction on wet roads.... ask me how I know.

this is true-I get nervous running empty on wet roads.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Try wet roads with a 3800# Moffett Mounty strapped on the ass end of a straight truck. Truck won't break traction for nothing but will slide like crazy in curves. That makes me nervous, and makes my heart race like Michael Jackson watching the Little Rascals

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Try wet roads with a 3800# Moffett Mounty strapped on the ass end of a straight truck. Truck won't break traction for nothing but will slide like crazy in curves. That makes me nervous, and makes my heart race like Michael Jackson watching the Little Rascals

Makes me wonder what happens when he watches reruns of the "Mickey Mouse Club".

Rob

:lol::D:P

'at's just funny right there!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.