•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Jake Brake

• Please log in to reply
    23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   greg

greg

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 77 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:RD686s
    • Year:1986

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:46 PM

I have a 300 e-6 mack engine year 1986 and the engine brake is real weak. Was wondering how to make stronger. It also has a low rpm cutout but its not to low 1400 rpm and the jake stops, how do i get rid of this or lower the cutoff rpm to around 900 rpm's.

#2 OFFLINE   Lmackattack

Lmackattack

RS700L

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,121 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:RS700L / B613LST
    • Year:RS 1977 / B 1965

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:18 AM

I have no mechinacal info on how the 6cyl jake can be improved but I have driven a few macks with the Jake brake and they all performed poor in my opinion. At best they would slow the rpms but never could hold back a meduim loaded truck. I think the reson is because of the smaller 673,676, 675 etc... displacement engines??. we have an E9 at the yard with a jake and it stops much better than the small 6 cyl.

Trent

#3 OFFLINE   bulldogbred

bulldogbred

Truck Nut

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 31 posts
    • Model:RS700L
    • Year:1976

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:08 PM

its probably a dynatard engine brake is why it doesnt perform like you would expect, that was macks engine brake, it doesnt have the retarding horsepower of a jake, more for the noise than the actually slowing factor, you need to try and find an actual Jacobs engine brake, they are kinda hard to come by we have a 65 bmodel that my grandpa put a 237 in back in the day when they used it as a wrecker, and it has an actual jacobs that works awesome. Good Luck, Jon

#4 OFFLINE   Freightrain

Freightrain

Gear jam'n fool

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,188 posts
    • Model:B61
    • Year:59

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:18 PM

You can still get a jacobs style brake. 'Bout 1500 bucks!!
    Barry looked into it a few years ago for me for my 673.
    Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Posted Image

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

#5 OFFLINE   rsmartyn

rsmartyn

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 157 posts
    • Model:B61T, DM686SX
    • Year:1961, 1979

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:41 PM

Around here in NJ almost every town have signs restricting Jake or engine brake use, has that been happening in the rest of the country? I figure it's from all the juveniles with their straight stacks blasting the Jake 3 in the morning empty or loaded, it doesn't matter to them. I'll bet they were the ones with all the baseball cards flappin' their bicycle tire spokes when they were kids. Funny thing though is that my DM has it's factory exhaust system and I've never heard a complaint about Dynatard noise in the restricted zones or anywhere 'cause you can't hardly hear it.
    Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

#6 OFFLINE   Lmackattack

Lmackattack

RS700L

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,121 posts
    • Model:RS700L / B613LST
    • Year:RS 1977 / B 1965

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:04 PM

the signs are posted all the way out to the west coast . most signs say "excessive engine brake use is not allowed" or something along those words.

#7 OFFLINE   Timothy Maikshilo

Timothy Maikshilo

Too Stack Mack

• BMT Benefactor
    • 2,200 posts
    • Model:rw713
    • Year:1992

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:46 PM

I have a 300 e-6 mack engine year 1986 and the engine brake is real weak. Was wondering how to make stronger. It also has a low rpm cutout but its not to low 1400 rpm and the jake stops, how do i get rid of this or lower the cutoff rpm to around 900 rpm's.

Are you sure it's a jake? Maybe it's a dynatard which is like pissing in the wind. I'm not sure on the cut out my dog stalls if I'm dumb enough to forget the dynatard is on( and it's happened more than once!)

#8 OFFLINE   Show Dog

Show Dog

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 58 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:55 PM

You can still get a jacobs style brake. 'Bout 1500 bucks!!
    Barry looked into it a few years ago for me for my 673.

Damn straight. I just got the jacobs style 2 stage put on my truck last month and that's what it cost me! It works great. They aren't hard to come by.

#9 OFFLINE   b61mack

b61mack

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 733 posts
    • Model:B61T B61LT R685ST
    • Year:1963 1958 1972 the Bs are sleepercabs

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:44 PM

its probably a dynatard engine brake is why it doesnt perform like you would expect, that was macks engine brake, it doesnt have the retarding horsepower of a jake, more for the noise than the actually slowing factor, you need to try and find an actual Jacobs engine brake, they are kinda hard to come by we have a 65 bmodel that my grandpa put a 237 in back in the day when they used it as a wrecker, and it has an actual jacobs that works awesome. Good Luck, Jon

Does it have a wire on top of the valve cover, if it does it is a dynatard , a jake has a spacer plate under the valve cover and the wire comes out of it.

#10 OFFLINE   Packer82935

Packer82935

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 554 posts
    • Model:B421, B61,EG,EF, B75, Mod 45, B733
    • Year:1958, 1959,1948, 1942,1963, 1947,1963

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:27 PM

Just got a rebuild kit for my 2 valve 237 Jake brake.
    The cost was $95.00 plus shipping. Got it from Tec Brake.
    If the 'O' rings are hard, cracked, etc. or pistons galled, the brake won't work to it's capacity. On Cummins that's about equal to the rated horsepower. Macks do not have the injector rocker arm to get top-dead-center on the exaust stroke quite as well as the Cummins engines but is still way ahead of a dynatard.
    Packer
    Keep a clutchin'

#11 OFFLINE   Superdog

Superdog

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• BMT Benefactor
    • 4,799 posts
    • Make:Mack (165 at last count)
    • Model:AC to Superliner
    • Year:1921 to 1988

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:42 PM

if you have everything adjusted properly,a Dynatard works damn good.I have no complaints about the one I have in my Superliner.

#12 OFFLINE   convoyduel

convoyduel

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • 216 posts
    • Model:RS712LST
    • Year:1977

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:45 PM

We have a factory installed Jacobs-brand Jake Brake on our '90 CH613 with a E6-350, and it's absolutely useless. It barely even slows the truck down while bobtailing. The local dealer said that's probably about all it was good for when it was new.

Dan Bruno
    www.stlouisdumptrucks.com

#13 OFFLINE   Packer82935

Packer82935

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 554 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:32 AM

On a Cummins engine, with only one head turned on, and a new rebuild on the engine brake, the brake will kill an engine at idle. With all working and even a little oil leaking by, the brake will kill an engine at idle. With the engine idling and you here a little putt-putt-putt sound, that's an indication the brake is in need off an hour or two of TLC.
    The only dynatards I ever drove were while test driving at the Mack shop in S.L.C. UT. At that time, the only other engine brakes were Cummins and that was just after I had rebuilt them.
    The Dynatard may have been weak and I know the Jakes were strong so I may not have had the whole story.
    When driving with and for my Dad, we would get 350,000 miles from a set of brake linings. when drivers were add, the brake life dropped to 150,000 miles.
    When lease O/O were added, trailer lining went to 50,000 miles.
    The old Jake instructions said to "Use the same gear going down hill as going up"!
    Something to think about!
    Packer
    Keep a clutchin'

#14 OFFLINE   ThaddeusW

ThaddeusW

MadMacks

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 1,779 posts
    • Model:B61
    • Year:1961

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:39 AM

We have a factory installed Jacobs-brand Jake Brake on our '90 CH613 with a E6-350, and it's absolutely useless. It barely even slows the truck down while bobtailing. The local dealer said that's probably about all it was good for when it was new.

Dan Bruno
    www.stlouisdumptrucks.com

On a international 4300 i drove at the international truck tour they had a 3 stage jake brake on the dt466. it was STRONG! On the 3rd setting and let off the gas it nearly threw me thourh the wind sheild! The system has a bleeder brake in combination with an exhaust brake. The cat powerd 7600 had a jake and it was very strong. I guess it depends. Must stop drinking.
    -Thad
    What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

#15 OFFLINE   greg

greg

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 77 posts
    • Model:RD686s
    • Year:1986

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:14 AM

Does it have a wire on top of the valve cover, if it does it is a dynatard , a jake has a spacer plate under the valve cover and the wire comes out of it.

I know it's a jake because of the spacer plate that says jacobs on it. How do you adjust the brake?

#16 OFFLINE   fullfuel01

fullfuel01

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 773 posts
    • Model:R,DM,DMM,B

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:00 AM

you can adjust it like you adjust your valve lash. don't know the spec but it's the same way you have to rotate the engine and everyting... (too long to explain..) but well adjusted jacob works great on Mack engines. Dynatard from Mack are great on 4VH engine. 2VH with dynatard help when bobtailing...

#17 OFFLINE   Packer82935

Packer82935

BMT Forum Guru

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 554 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:29 PM

The adjustment is something like "Down to touch and back off 5/8 (or 3/4) turn".
    Be sure the valve lash is set first, then adjust the Jakes. Incorrect valve lash will mean incorrect Jake adjustment.
    Packer
    Keep a clutchin'

#18 OFFLINE   theakerstwo

theakerstwo

BMT Certified Know-It-All!

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • 2,218 posts
    • Model:b61
    • Year:1957

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

On a international 4300 i drove at the international truck tour they had a 3 stage jake brake on the dt466. it was STRONG! On the 3rd setting and let off the gas it nearly threw me thourh the wind sheild! The system has a bleeder brake in combination with an exhaust brake. The cat powerd 7600 had a jake and it was very strong. I guess it depends. Must stop drinking.

I never did see one of them jake brakes on a DT.May be a new deal.But they ant big enough to be too powerful. Glenn Akers
    glenn akers

#19 OFFLINE   WVDogLover

WVDogLover

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • 148 posts
    • Model: DM690SX & DM886SX & RD688SX
    • Year:1988 & 1976 & 1992

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:33 PM

Packer is absolutely correct. I run the adjustor down till the jake it hitting slightly and then back it off 3/4's. Mack jakes arent great but they do ok. The dynatard on my 4 valve does a good job.

#20 OFFLINE   therabbittree

therabbittree

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 95 posts
    • Model:B81SX
    • Year:1958

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:02 PM

yeah where can you find info on the dt466 jake or engine brake..i have never seen one. that was one of the bad things about a dt 466 because it can't have ajake.. if they make one pleaae let me know i know a few who would like them.
    Thanks
    Deo
    Keep on keeping on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users