Hi guys, joined the forum after picking up a 1948 EG this weekend. Don't know anything about Macks other than I would like a B model and lowboy someday to take some of my Cat crawlers to shows. Saw this EG and picked it up cheap.

A couple questions for you.

- Someone put a White engine in, what would be the "correct" Mack engine on this model.

- Looks like someone mounted a air tank on the passenger frame, but the truck has hydraulic brake lines. They are going nowhere now. What was the original brake system, hydraulic ?

- Is there a way to lookup the s/n EG 1S 6035 and see what the original build was. Someone cut and extended the frame ( not very well)

- Looks like there are alot of B model parts available out there. Is there a source for parts on the E's such as window moldings, door mechanisms, etc.

I posted some pictures in my album.

Thanks

Matt Williams

post-3129-1232034722_thumb.jpg

Hello Matt,

It looks like you have a nice E model. I have a 48 EF and my truck has an EN290 Continental Engine in it. The first thing you need to do is have contact the Mack museum in Allentown with your serial number. Last year the Mack museum combined forces with the American on Wheels museum. The people that worked at Mack's museum are wonderful and I am sure some if not all went to the new location. They will put you on there list and will pull you all the build information on your truck. Check out my pictures of my EF when you have time. Here is the link to the museum.

http://www.americaonwheels.org/

PS Don Shoemaker is one of the gentleman from the Mack Museum.

Brent Ohl

There is no real website for the Mack Trucks Historical Museum, they are piggy-backed on Mack Trucks site. The website posted in the prior link is not for the Mack Museum. Your best bet is to contact them directly,

The Mack Trucks Historical Museum

Don Schumaker, Curator

997 Postal Road

Allentown, PA 18103

Telephone: 610-266-6767

Fax: 610-266-6823

Doug

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

Matt,I see that you said you have some old Cats.What models do you have and where are you from?I to collect old Macks and Caterpillar tractor.I'm from Phila.PAMy Macks consit of only 2 for now.They are a 1964 B-87 tractor,1979 R model. We brought both of these trucks new.Good luck,by the way the mack musum is a great place with some super nice folks there.

My EG has an air valve at the hydrovac and a trailer air valve on the steering post.

It also has an air compressor on the engine.

My '48 has a REO engine in it.

Must be an upgrade done at some time.

My Mack history is a bit rusty but Mack and REO were togather at one time.

That might be why I have a non-Mack engine.

Than again - - - maybe not!!!!! LOL

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Thanks for all the info guys. I will be giving the Mack Museum a call next week to get some more info on the truck.

Mike, I used to live up by Stroudsburg,PA not that far from Philly. For Cats I have a D2 toolbar, 2 - D4's with dozers, 2 - D4's with Trackson cable buckets, a wheeled D6, and a Gas 25.

Matt Williams

Matt,

I also have a 1948 EG. The original engine is a EN 330 cu. in. Continental. If the tank you see is behind the passenger side running board, it is a vacuum tank. Mine is a tractor and has the trailer brake valve on the steering column. Mine also has hydraulic brakes with a hydrovac.

Mine had a cracked block when I bought it and I looked everywhere for a block to no avail. I had mine repaired at a pretty big cost. Naturally, after I had mine fixed, they started turning up all over. I believe Continental calls them a M330, and I've seen them in a Gallion road grader, Bucyrus Erie dragline, Buffalo Springfield roller, and several stationary applications, like welders, compressors, and such.

I'm no expert on 48 EG's, but I did take mine down to a bare frame and started from there. I haven't touched it in 3 years due to health and financial situations. (those 2 things seem to go hand in hand!) Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Tom

Matt, you might be interested to know that Lee Haeberlein (also a BMT member) in California has a fully-restored 1948 EH1S with a White motor, IIRC. I have his contact details if you're interested in getting in touch with him.

Good to hear from you, Tom.

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

Matt, you might be interested to know that Lee Haeberlein (also a BMT member) in California has a fully-restored 1948 EH1S with a White motor, IIRC. I have his contact details if you're interested in getting in touch with him.

Good to hear from you, Tom.

WWII surplus White halftrack engines were a popular repower,because they would bolt in without many modifications and could be bought cheap.

Matt Try John Chalmers in Cashtown,Penna. He is located west of York,Penna. on Rt. 30 i think. I bought some A Model Mack parts from him he might have some of what you need as the E model and A model were very similar cabs. Are you still in Stroudsburg I am about 40 miles from there in Mount Cobb. Joe D.