How the Mack name ended up where it is today

Shots of the MACK Brothers Wagons are interesting.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Mack was cash strapped when signal companies came to the rescue. There must have been poor decision making by Mack to be in that position. Signal companies was a conglomerate

that had no loyalty to Mack. Signal cut Mack loose which enabled Renault to move in. Mack has nobody to blame but past management and difficult unions. Mack was spread to thin and didn't react quick enough to take care of core business. They dumped the fire vehicles, off road mining vehicles and forestry vehicles, buses, western vehicles and locomotives,. They closed antiquated plants in New Jersey and Allentown. Mack was floundering around and the wolves moved in (Signal) (Renault) (Volvo). Mack just like White motor was over extended. Paccar on the other hand did take care of the business side of the house and they are still around. They weren't spread to thin and cautiously moved forward. To bad to lose such an icon. Mack just got in bed with the wrong people and lost there autonomy. Ultimately management has to take the blame.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2016 at 4:53 AM, james j neiweem said:

Mack was cash strapped when signal companies came to the rescue. There must have been poor decision making by Mack to be in that position. Signal companies was a conglomerate that had no loyalty to Mack. Signal cut Mack loose which enabled Renault to move in. Mack has nobody to blame but past management and difficult unions. Mack was spread to thin and didn't react quick enough to take care of core business. They dumped the fire vehicles, off road mining vehicles and forestry vehicles, buses, western vehicles and locomotives,. They closed antiquated plants in New Jersey and Allentown. Mack was floundering around and the wolves moved in (Signal) (Renault) (Volvo). Mack just like White motor was over extended. Paccar on the other hand did take care of the business side of the house and they are still around. They weren't spread to thin and cautiously moved forward. To bad to lose such an icon. Mack just got in bed with the wrong people and lost there autonomy. Ultimately management has to take the blame.

Mack Trucks was at a crossroads when they decided to bring Zenon C.R. Hansen on board to "fix the problem" and lead the company in an all new direction. He did.

Zenon "wanted" Signal's financial support, and he later credited the Signal Companies' board for Mack Trucks' return to dominance. Their financial backing could, and did, supercharge Zenon's growth plans for Mack Trucks. And, Signal promised to allow Mack Trucks to operate with autonomy. They did. Mack earned more money for Signal than any other subsidiary, and Zenon famously kept them aware of that!

Quoting the old man himself, "In my opinion, the Mack-Signal merger was the most successful large corporate merger ever attempted."

In addition to Signal's financial backing being important to Mack's success, Zenon said "the really significant value has been this, that Mack has been associated with a high-grade organization which made good on all its agreements. We have kept our autonomy under Signal, and they have not meddled in the day-to-day operations of our business."

Once, Zenon walked into a Signal board meeting to discuss bonus plans for the conglomerate companies. They didn't tell Zenon what bonuses were going to be handed out, rather he told them! Speaking to the board of the parent company, Zenon knew that it was his company, Mack Trucks, that was making all the money for Signal, and he told them so!

"This is the bonus plan this year in my company [Mack Trucks]. I don't care what you're doing in your companies, but this is what I'm doing in mine."

Particularly while Zenon C.R. Hansen ran Mack, the Signal Companies was extremely loyal to Mack Trucks.

In 1964, prior to Zenon taking over Mack Trucks, the company reported US$275 million in sales. In 1966 with Zenon at the helm for two years, Mack sales reached US$411 million. And in 1970, sales leaped to US$534 million.

We're talking about the man that issued every Mack employee a sillver dollar-sized coin with a bulldog on one side, and a slogan on the other side stating "You Make the Difference". I carry my coin every day.

Mack's outstanding earnings in 1966 was a double-edged sword........it made Mack Trucks a takeover target. Initially, to fight back, Zenon was designated chairman and CEO as well as president. But he finally realized that Mack needed the financial security and protection of a larger conglomerate, but the merger would be on Zenon's terms.

Zenon said, "Our feeling was that if we had to get into bed with someone, it would be a Park Avenue glamour girl, not a Greenwich Village streetwalker."

Zenon believed that a successful merger must address four priorities in this particular order:

1. The employees

2. The dealers; they have US$100 million tied up in Mack trucks and parts

3. The Mack customer

4. The stockholder

In responding to critics who said that shareholders should be the first priority, Zenon said, "What good is the stockholder's dollar if the employees are not happy, if the dealers are in trouble, if they don't have a customer?"

New York bankers introduced Mack Trucks to the Los Angeles-based Signal Oil & Gas Company, and it was the perfect match.

Recalling their initial meeting, Zenon said, "You size up the people and pull it out fast. We had never met, and we had an agreement in two and a half hours."

In the deal, Mack and Zenon retained complete autonomy, and Signal promised not to acquire any other truckmaker. Mack Trucks received Signal's financial backing to ramp up plant expansion, production and sales, and Zenon joined Signal's board of directors.

As a result of the Mack-Signal merger, Mack Trucks in 1971 was once more the top selling diesel truck in the United States. One out of five heavy trucks wore a bulldog.

By the end of 1973, nine years after Zenon C.R. Hansen had taken the helm at Mack Trucks:

- Production had increased 138 percent

- New truck deliveries increased 134 percent

- Mack sales skyrocketed 200 percent, from US$275 million to US$880 million

- Shareholder's equity rose 147 percent, with return on invested capital increasing from 2.7% to 13%

- Earnings per share increased by an astonishing 764 percent

All of this, because of Signal's support of Mack Trucks and Zenon C.R. Hansen, the best truckmaking CEO in the history of the industry right up to the present day.

As Zenon proudly said, and history has gone on to confirm:

"I don't think many companies can match that record. I have been asked many times how we did this. I will say it again, there's no substitute for experience. It all boils down to experience, damn hard work, and good application of effort by the Mack management team. Our talented, dedicated, ingenious Mack people have made a difference."

• Like 1

Mack was cash strapped when signal companies came to the rescue. There must have been poor decision making by Mack to be in that position. Signal companies was a conglomerate that had no loyalty to Mack. Signal cut Mack loose which enabled Renault to move in. Mack has nobody to blame but past management and difficult unions. Mack was spread to thin and didn't react quick enough to take care of core business. They dumped the fire vehicles, off road mining vehicles and forestry vehicles, buses, western vehicles and locomotives,. They closed antiquated plants in New Jersey and Allentown. Mack was floundering around and the wolves moved in (Signal) (Renault) (Volvo). Mack just like White motor was over extended. Paccar on the other hand did take care of the business side of the house and they are still around. They weren't spread to thin and cautiously moved forward. To bad to lose such an icon. Mack just got in bed with the wrong people and lost there autonomy. Ultimately management has to take the blame.

It sounds like you've blamed everything and everyone, leaving no stone unturned. However, the truth is bit different.

As for Renault, they were no more a "wolf" than the Signal Companies. Rather, they were supportive of a successful Mack Trucks. Renault respected Mack's R&D capability as world leading.

As Mack President Al Pelletier said in March 1979 during his announcement that Renault would purchase a minority stake in Mack, "In the long run, we will need a partner to compete with all the giants of the industry. We looked for a partner and we found one in Renault."

And Al Pelletier’s successor John Curcio accurately said of Renault, "They came to the party in 1983 when nobody else loved us."

I have nothing but respect for Renault (i.e. RVI - Renault Vehicules Industriels, the truck unit of Renault).

And, I have the utmost respect for Elios Pascual. He genuinely cared about Mack Trucks, as anyone at Mack World Headquarters during his tenure will tell you.

In the big picture, the UAW weakened Mack in the 1980s. I'm not speaking of Local 677, but rather the international in Detroit. As I've stated before, Jack Curcio realized the threat presented by the foreign truckmakers in the United States, and was trying to reshape Mack Trucks in the face of changing times, enhancing efficiency and profitability to ensure Mack’s long-term survival. But the union didn’t heed his warnings of the dark clouds ahead, and chose to proceed with business as usual (when the Big 3 were on the verge of collapse, threatening the UAW’s existence, it amazingly became very cooperative).

• Like 1

KS Thanks for the history lesson on Signal and Mack. As for the unions of this era I couldn't agree more. They pushed management to the wall time and time again in company after company. The end results were companies closing there doors or moving over seas. May bee you can give us a lesson on the move to South Carolina and the disaster that was. The CH CL and E-7 came out about that time and got off to a slow start. Fleets such as Overnite and Roadway long time Mack users didn't jump on the CH band wagon. The 90's seemed to be Mack's downfall that led to the Volvo takeover of Renault and Mack.

KS Thanks for the history lesson on Signal and Mack. As for the unions of this era I couldn't agree more. They pushed management to the wall time and time again in company after company. The end results were companies closing there doors or moving over seas. May bee you can give us a lesson on the move to South Carolina and the disaster that was. The CH CL and E-7 came out about that time and got off to a slow start. Fleets such as Overnite and Roadway long time Mack users didn't jump on the CH band wagon. The 90's seemed to be Mack's downfall that led to the Volvo takeover of Renault and Mack.

Roadway had a few Macks, but never a lot. Only the last few were Mack powered.

Some big Mack fleets were, to name just a few in addition to Overnite, Air Products, APA, A & P, BFI, Burns Motor Freight, Carolina Freight Carriers, Chemical Leaman, Hennis, Mason Dixon, Matlack, Mushroom, National, Penske, Ryder, Smith's Transfer, Southeastern, Waste Management, UPS and USPS.

Roadway had a few Macks, but never a lot. Only the last few were Mack powered.

Some big Mack fleets were, to name just a few in addition to Overnite, Air Products, APA, Burns Motor Freight, Chemical Leaman, Matlack, Mushroom, National and Southeastern.

UPS too

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

As a life-long admirer of Mack trucks, it saddens me to see where the company is today: a neglected, starving bulldog force-fed scraps from an owner that seems bent on killing him.

Mack means so much to me and my family. Not only did my father drive numerous Macks for his employer, he owned two (a B-65LT and a U). My uncle drove Macks for his employer and now owns four (the aforementioned B-65LT, an LJT, a B-42X, and a B-model pickup he built). Another uncle has been a mechanic that worked on Macks for decades. I grew up in a world of Macks, and now have two of my own (B-61SX and a B81SX).

I wish I could play a larger part in today's Mack and have a role in not only saving the company, but returning it to prominence in the trucking sphere.

• Like 1

As a life-long admirer of Mack trucks, it saddens me to see where the company is today: a neglected, starving bulldog force-fed scraps from an owner that seems bent on killing him.

Mack means so much to me and my family. Not only did my father drive numerous Macks for his employer, he owned two (a B-65LT and a U). My uncle drove Macks for his employer and now owns four (the aforementioned B-65LT, an LJT, a B-42X, and a B-model pickup he built). Another uncle has been a mechanic that worked on Macks for decades. I grew up in a world of Macks, and now have two of my own (B-61SX and a B81SX).

I wish I could play a larger part in today's Mack and have a role in not only saving the company, but returning it to prominence in the trucking sphere.

Mack means a lot to many people... Read in KS2 post in the early 70's, 20% of trucks on the road were Macks. Unfortunately in today's corporate economy, nostalgia and loyalty to a Brand mean very little. It's all about $$$. Bottom line sell to the masses.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Corporate greed is what ruins everything people used to have pride in what they built and did but when they want you to work for Chinese wages with pension for49 Years of work that's what happens and very few young people have any work ethic or know about pride and hard work just there social media status

• Like 2

Corporate greed is what ruins everything people used to have pride in what they built and did but when they want you to work for Chinese wages with pension for49 Years of work that's what happens and very few young people have any work ethic or know about pride and hard work just there social media status

Both management and labor shoulder the responsibility for the health of their company. If either get out of whack, things tend to deteriorate.

Design and engineer good, reliable, rugged, and user-friendly products, hire motivated, qualified people to build them, and then treat everybody on the team right, and you'll have set yourself up for success.f

• Like 1

In the 50's and 60's Roadway had lots of Mack's. H models, F models and B-61 and 67"s. At that time there predominant truck was probably the small cab white 9000. They also had cracker boxes and IH emeryvilles. Later on they had R's, U's and F's. Roadway bought from just about every truck manufacturer. I never saw any Peterbilts but they did have a few KW's. Towards the end before the Yellow merger I believe they were mostly White, White/ GMC and freightliner. The strong relationship between Roadway and White may have been that they both were from Ohio. The CH's in the current fleet are mostly ex ABF's. YRC currently has 5 or 6 pinnacles as test tractors

My opinion is Mack by the late 90s was stuck selling 12 liter engines that were choked by tightening epa regulations and they just couldn't compete with the 14 and 15 liter competition. Before the epa diesel regulations the six cylinder Mack could hold its own. You combine the under powered engine with no low rpm torque and no straight hood classic styled truck and bingo loss of market share

Mack was a good truck into the 90's. Then the product went thud in 98 with the E-tech engine. I know lots of fleets that bought into the CH product mid 90's only to inherit the E-tech and be very disappointed in its engine replacment. What it had issues with in competing with other manufacturers was price. Big fleets wanted big price cuts. Most were willing to slash to get in the door.

• Like 1

Definitely the e tech was where Mack first started hemoraging sales. Most of the fleets that hauled forest products in my area that ran Mack switched to cat and cummins after the etech and they didn't buy c12 cats they bought c15 . I just think Mack was trying to get to much power out of that 12 liter and that's why the reliability went down with the 427 and 460 etech they couldn't take the heat with the extra emission controls. A bigger 6 cylinder engine would of faired better

The 98 E-tech launch was due to Emissions. That's it. They couldn't get the PLN E7 to pass the 98 standards. When E7 (pre Etech) was cut the 454 was 46hp and 100lbft of torque away from the E9 in engine specs. Even the torque curve on the E7 was good. I had a E7454 it was a bit of a dog but we got great life out of it. They defiantly pushed those 12L engines to the max but the old E7 faired well. I compare th versatility of the E6 to the E7 daily. That Etech was and is just more to go wrong with little to show for it.

Yeah we loved our pre etech e7 we had several . had a 91 400 non computer. 93 400 vmac 95 427 98 454 . all were 30000 plus hrs engines . our etechs were ok not great . ours were 460 xt descent power but always had little issues that cost big money

• Like 1