1947 Gramm 24 ft. van trailer

Superdog

Wow. Just like in antique farm tractors. The equipment is becoming worth as much as the trucks and tractors. I like to see a "unit" at a truck show. Gives folks what it was like in back the day. Nice piece you have there. Not a popular name to me. Were there a lot of?

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

Just found this.

DELPHOS, 1926-1950s — When R.M. Kincaid left B.A. Gramm and his son W.J. Gramm, the business was reregistered as Gramm Motor Inc. They made trucks between one and five-ton capacity. Some of their buses were powered by Willys-Knight engines. The Condor truck appeared in 1932 and was identical to certain Gramm trucks until 1934 when a new range of Gramm trucks appeared.

By 1936, larger Gramms were built, up to seven and one-half ton. In 1939, a new range appeared with the company now being called Gramm Truck and Trailer Corp. Eventually the company left motor truck production and switched to truck trailers only. After a large fire in the early 1950s, the firm rebuilt and later moved to Lima, selling the Delphos plant to Fruehauf.

After Gramm Trailers moved to Lima it closed its plant and went, out of business. This led to the starting of a new business. E & R Trailer Sales and Service was started in 1959 near Middle Point by Ervin Hesseling, who had worked his way up at Gramm Trailers. E & R sold Gramm parts to truck owners all over the world.

• Like 1

We had a Gramm horse trailer, #T-106. Was a drop frame trailer with frame rails that were actually formed with a radius for the drop, not squared and fabricated.

It had truss rods built under the frame like old railroad cars.

I think it was a 1950. My earliest memories of it was it being a 40' nine horse trailer, single axle spring suspension with 22" wheels. Sometime in the early 80's ( pretty sure) it was taken to Morgan trailer to be lengthened to 45' to make it into a twelve horse trailer. Morgan lengthened it and installed Neway air ride suspension with Standard Forge axles and 15" wheels. We did the work of finishing the inside in our own shop. When Morgan lengthened it they rebuilt the rear bumper and sill and threw the piece that had the GRAMM drilled in it into the scrap pile.

Needless to say(as sentimental as we were) that didn't work!

They were told to put that back on the trailer which they did!

Trailer went to Cohen's scrap yard in Thorndale, Pa in the late 90's-early 2000's. Cohen's actually sold it to somebody, I think from Ohio, who was going to restore it and use it for show horses.

I sure hope it still says GRAMM on the back of it drilled out in big letters!

Ron

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1