Hydraulic platform trailers

m16ty

I'm in the market for a hydraulic platform trailer. I'm looking at getting 10-12 lines. Does anybody have experience with these trailers?

I know the big names are Goldhofer and Nicolas. I'm currently looking at 10 lines Nicolas in SC and 12 lines Goldhofer in TX.

I was going through some old Talbert literature and they have pics of where they made some platform trailers but they must have been custom jobs as I can't find any info on the net about them.

I'm also thinking I want a neck. It just doesn't seem practical to me to add dead weight to the prime mover for traction when you can use the load weight with the neck. Seems most of the outfits you see use the towbar though. Maybe I'm missing something.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a question, with the market overloaded with platform trailers already why would invest in something that you can hire cheaper than you can own ?? Are you worried about the big boys back dooring you ?? they will do that anyway. have looked into dollies like Telkamp or Holland ??

I've already paid out enough in the last year to buy a platform trailer. We've been moving some big loads of 250,000lb+ lately and have more prospects in the future.

My main reason of wanting a platform is that all of the places we go into to unload are very tight ( backing into a building and such) and was looking at the maneuverablity of the platform trailers. I have looked at the dollies but , to me, they look like a cobbled up mess to tie it all together.

Our main mode of operation is to unload from rail, truck a couple miles to the site, and unload.

David, if you have any better info on any of this, I'd love to hear any advise you offer.

J&B has 10 lines I think, there is 12 lines in MA. Call 617 269 6600 they were going to sell it last time I spoke to them. If you are going to work off road you can't beat one of the old 200/250 Talbert 32 tire trailers, I know of 1 in FL and Brian T. bought ours. don't know if he still has it. If you learn how to use dollies you can move anything a platform will do, and weigh a lot less, great for going over the road, we ran dollies at most the power plants in the south. also less cost to own and operate but you need to have some skill.

I can send you some video of dollies working and put you in touch with the right people, once you go with dollies you won't use anything else, J&B is using there dollie set up right now 200 ton plus, we did a bunch of big gas compressors in OK all on dollies, at 80K per group it does not take many to haul a heavy load, we used mostly 4and 5 groups that will put you up around 500K and scale 400K payload, maybe a little less depending on your beams.