Hmmmm..... In my neck of the woods, the B-81s were a common sight right up into the early 80s, and a few of the large construction companies ran them until they were just plain worn out.

When I was about 10 or 11, sewers were being installed near my house by VJ Paolino Corp, and all summer long, I'd talk a couple of the dump truck drivers into letting me ride with them for a few hours at a time in both their B81s, and at about the same time, Cardi was constructing a bypass route near, me, and their fuel guy would let me ride around with him when he filled up all the equipment with diesel, and he had a fairly new R-Model. That's when Cardi was phasing out most of their B-models, and was running mostly a fleet of Rs on this particular project. I have some fond memories of riding around in those rigs....

• Like 2

I drove a B81 in 1977. Robert T. Winzinger, Inc. had a bunch of them. Not many were still tagged and on the road then. They were tough, and the DM800 that replaced them was just as tough. I have owned 4 DM 800's. at one time. A B81 would be a nice toy or hobby, but I would not want to try to run one

OJO Trucking in Sayerville NJ still runs 5 DM800 tandems.

oldest is i beleive an 83, newest is a 88.

i remember one of the guys that parked in our yard back in the late 80's had a first year DM800, it was on a B81 frame. big old tank, but you could not get it stuck with the automatic trans that was transplanted in it.

i want to say it was a 1966, but not sure on that.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

We had 3 of them as tandom dump that were real monsters,and then we had 2 as tractors that pull our lowboys.

back in my lowboy piloting days, all i ran were DM800's, and they all had 237's and mud stick transmissions with 12X24 rubber, . trailer was an old Rodgers 100 ton unit with 10 X 23 deck, and it ran 14X24 tires on the tandem axles.

i would move anything with that rig, including 14 foot blade D8's and 245 excavators.

never worried about speed because with something that big i never went over 25 MPH.

with the "S" tags, i was legal for 225,000 lbs, and regularly hovered rite around 200 to 210k lbs..

when not in the lowboy i was usually in a 73 DM with 237 and a quad box.

until they finally bought me a brand new 1988 R model with 350 and mud stick trans tandem dump.

• Like 1

TJC,who did drive for?We were based out of philly,but worked a4 state range.Our last DM tractor is supposed to be in the MD area roaming around as a tow truck.I've through about finding it and try to buy it back and make it back as a tractor.

Selective Materials, which was a side company of Joe Defino Trucking

Big old Binder with a big old air piston.

If you weren't running an old LJ or a newer B-81 chances are you were running one of the IH 220's with a Cummins.They were everywhere in New England in the 60's.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

All of them were before my time, but I've heard plenty about how tough and rugged LJs were, followed by Bs (especially B81s for construction purposes) being even more so, and finally the DMs being as rugged as they come. LJs were long gone by my childhood; I never saw one on the road. When I was young, there were a few B models still running, but they were mostly B81 dump trucks. DMs were plentiful right up until my teens, but like I said, by the time I was old enough to drive trucks, even the DMs were in the process of being phased out.

To this day, my favorite trucks of all time are B81s and steel nosed DM800s. R models would be my #3 favorite.

Hard to believe Mack could dominate trucking like it did right up to the R model and then wind up where it is today.

• Like 1

I drove a B81 in 1977. Robert T. Winzinger, Inc. had a bunch of them. Not many were still tagged and on the road then. They were tough, and the DM800 that replaced them was just as tough. I have owned 4 DM 800's. at one time. A B81 would be a nice toy or hobby, but I would not want to try to run one

The same Winzinger that still runs in Philly and Jersey?