Southbound MR688

85snowdog

Ok, don't beat me up if I have my facts wrong. I got this about 4th hand, and lately I could mess up a one float parade.

This MR 688 was taken out of service because of safety issues. Apparently the open back seat is not safe anymore. So it was

donated to a church group and they are getting things organized to take it to Guatemala. They are giving it to a little town down there. I don't know exactly where. Apparently they are going to drive it there.

To me its a cool story with a happy ending…..hopefully.

I'm sure it will make it mechanically. If there is problems, it will be red tape of some type.

I wish them the best. And to the town in Guatemala…. you are getting one cool rig!!!

post-17364-0-53371000-1449007089_thumb.j

post-17364-0-37198900-1449007246_thumb.j

post-17364-0-05979100-1449007271_thumb.j

post-17364-0-03254900-1449007290_thumb.j

Keith 

I saw that truck sitting in Alliston when we were up to see you. It'll be a interesting drive for sure. Is a local taking it? I doubt crossing Mexico will be uneventful

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

I agree with you Alex, crossing Mexico could be an adventure. Apparently the locals from the church are going to drive it down.

Keith 

It was probably replaced with a new truck purchased with a Federal Grant. If this is the case, part of the Federal Grant programs (funds provided by several sources such as the US Fire Administration, Homeland Security, etc..) requires that older apparatus that no longer meet NFPA Standards must be taken out of service and may not be resold (or even given) to another Fire Department. It is a really shitty deal because there are so many trucks out there (the one pictured being a perfect example) are very usable and desired by very poor, rural fire departments that dont have a pot to piss into that would LOVE to have them.

One loophole in the program- rigs can be sold or given to a collector and tagged/titled as a collectible vehicle. Then if the private individual chooses to donate or sell the rig to a poor fire department for actual use is between they and that fire department and theres nothing the Gubmint can do. I can neither confirm or deny any knowledge of something like this having happened 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years that I may or may not know about.

Nothing wrong with the pictured truck. The jumpseats aren't unsafe, but they are not as safe as something with four doors could be. As long as the guys stay seated and belted in, they should be OK. And this having a diesel and an automatic.....With a Waterous pump......I know many small rural VFD's that would KILL to have it.

Thanks for the explanation. I was surprised about the back seat. It seems like yesterday that firemen stood on the back of the truck to go to a call. lol

Keith 

I think this rig is Canadian Eh!

So it was not bought with Fire Grant money. The Canadians have much stricter safety laws than we do, so it wouldn't surprise me they have outlawed open jump seats.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!