What is a E9 worth, you got one?

​I see here if someone mentions a E9 that is sitting or possibly for sale it sparked interest. I have talked to many Guys through the years and everyone seems to know where several are. I have know of whole running E9 trucks go for $2500 mostly MH's. I could have bought a daily driven MH E9 with a 48' flat deck for $4000 back 10 years ago in Ohio, didn't have a place to keep it. Bought a good low mileage 94 CL engine last year for $6000 with a good double airride frame and 20K beam, an OK deal. I had rears so I didn't need them.

It is EZ to have $20K in a rebuild these days. More and more there are stories of broken E9 trucks getting sold and repaired. What are they getting sold for before being fixed?

What is the going rate for these engines/trucks running or not? I have heard that a crank can go for $10K, head $2K, inj. pump $3K. Some whole trucks are going for less than $10K and everyone is looking for parts from what I see. Parts/engines are out there so where are they and what are they really worth?

​I see here if someone mentions a E9 that is sitting or possibly for sale it sparked interest. I have talked to many Guys through the years and everyone seems to know where several are. I have known of whole running E9 trucks go for $2500 mostly MH's. I could have bought a daily driven MH E9 with a 48' flat deck for $4000 back 10 years ago in Ohio, didn't have a place to keep it. Bought a good low mileage 94 CL engine last year for $6000 with a good double airride frame and 20K beam, an OK deal. I had rears so I didn't need them.

MH with E9...you have my attention.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Yeah I hear you. Not a bad idea at all. It's like any investment though things may not go the way you plan. I think it's a safe bet that there will always be a demand. Just look at the B's and the prices for some of the parts for them. Every year it's higher and higher.

No doubt, sure wish I bought a pile of B vent windows back in the day from Tidewater at 125- each...

my opinion is anything that says the word MACK on it will eventually be worth money at some point in time. some trucks and engines a little more. we all know a B81 or B615 or B73 or B75 are rarer than an ordinary b61 but sometimes price doesn't show that. solid B models, R models and v8 engines have value but it also come down to some ordinary joe blow looking at it like this'' if I have a V8 and it breaks, can I afford to fix it'' that steers a lot of us hobby truckers away. that's another reason I hate seeing some nice truck torn down, taken apart with an idea to restore it then the person finds they are over their head and they part it out.

• Like 2

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

No doubt, sure wish I bought a pile of B vent windows back in the day from Tidewater at 125- each...

You can buy a pile of R-model went windows now.

But nobody knows how high they will be about cost and how soon.

We never know.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I'm not sure what an E9 is. It's a 450 HP V-8, right? Is it the same basic thing as an old 325 HP V-8? All I remember about them was, they were hell when they were well, but that when they had issues (which wasn't rare) they were a nightmare. That and they sound terrible. Like they have two candles out constantly.

I recently paid $6500 for a E9 engine with a Mack T2180 trans. The problem you run into is everyone wants a core and if you don't have one its big money to buy it outright. I'm always looking for E9 parts... at the right price.

I think the scrapers are getting about $4-5K for a core E9 these days. Back 15 years ago I lived in Ohio. I went to Canton to Aldeman's Truck Parts and they would not sell a part off of one. Every E9 they got in was going to Australia for $5K running or not, 4 or 5 a week. Dont know if they are still exporting everyone.

I had one of my B's since 1996. It was 2012 when the wife said ether scrap it or get it done. Well you know what I did. It only took 17 years 4 doner trucks and a ton of parts, time and way to much money... she found out just resently how much money... She got a new Corvette out of it!

attachicon.gifP8310569.JPG

In process and coming apart

attachicon.gifOct 2013 021 - Copy.JPG

Done and at first outing in PA

VERY nice! Did you put a V8 back in it?

saw that nice restored V8 Mack at Gerhartz I think last year? I was standing around right when you notice some moron opened the door too hard and put a dent right into the fender..... I bailed cause I know what I would have done in the same situation. same thing happened to me in Springfield Mass. I ALWAYS leave my b model doors open for people to look. well someone closed them. a little while later someone opened them and ran their watch right down the side of my cab below the passenger grab handle scrapin it right down to bare metal, then walking away.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what an E9 is. It's a 450 HP V-8, right? Is it the same basic thing as an old 325 HP V-8? All I remember about them was, they were hell when they were well, but that when they had issues (which wasn't rare) they were a nightmare. That and they sound terrible. Like they have two candles out constantly.

The E9 isn't like the older Mack V8s, completely different engine. Sounds pretty good and wasn't as problematic as the older ones.

The one I've got is 500hp but I think they made a 400hp and 450hp version.

I did but not the 864 that came in 3 of the 5 truck used in the restoration. It has a 1973, 866@375hp and a double over Quad. The engine was rebuild by me 15 years ago. It has 4.17 rears so 70-75mph at 1600rpm's, governed at 2450, don't have to worry about passing to much of anything. It will not be pulling to many trailers these days.

attachicon.gifIPhone Sept 2013 114.JPG

I know wrong color for a 866 but it is the right color for a 864.

A V8 B model has a lot of differant parts from other B's

When I saw your truck in person I thought it had E9 under the hood.

Probably haven't payed enough of attention that moment since there was a planty of other candies to look at.

It was when I visited Matt Pfahl's shop. The truck was in the shape like on the last shot you posted. I remember like it was just yesterday Matt discussed with some of his other guys about the radiator core. I too enjoyed the colors it was painted and the way it was being done.

You must be a proud owner :twothumbsup:

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012