might be buying a pete with a 215 wheelbase. need advice

Was on a job in clarendon hills today with a guy in a w900L with 210 wb and he was struggling to get up into a foundation. It was a road where the curb was cutout on both ends in a finished community. 20 blodgett clarendon hills if you want to see what it looks like in live street view. My mack made the turns but it was kinda tight. Makes me worried about a longer wheelbase.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

By the way, if you are thinking of buying a new trailer, this is my friends MAC he just bought a couple weeks ago from

Ken's in Chebanse. $58,000 with no liner or tarp. Think he just got a auto Mountain Tarp for like $2,500. So they are

definitely not giving new trailers away!

post-13943-0-00846900-1445038724_thumb.j

• Like 1

The petes turning radius is superior to anything, my Pete is 260 wb, I had a ch sleeper before it with a set back axle and the Pete will get around better because of the cut, I like macks but my 379 is sweet and I never had a place I couldn't get it in, I haul pool water and end up on dead end roads that give the school buses problems.

Petermack I would live to have a new trailer like that but I heard you have to order them and have them made and wait 8 weeks or so to get them I was thinking of water and one in the winter time but is there a catalog I can look through to see whether I want East Meck or trailStar and what options I can get? I also don't know if a brand new trailers going to be any later than the slant nose Fruehauf I am pulling if I put aluminum wheels on it however the whole thing is to get an air ride trailer so maybe it's worth it

Petermack I would live to have a new trailer like that but I heard you have to order them and have them made and wait 8 weeks or so to get them I was thinking of water and one in the winter time but is there a catalog I can look through to see whether I want East Meck or trailStar and what options I can get? I also don't know if a brand new trailers going to be any later than the slant nose Fruehauf I am pulling if I put aluminum wheels on it however the whole thing is to get an air ride trailer so maybe it's worth it

Usually you do have to order a new trailer. Build time depends on how busy the company is. Could be a month, could be six months.

There is no universal catalog for the trailers. Ken's in Chebanse is a good place to deal with. They used to sell East but they had a bit

of a falling out with them so now they sell MAC and Titan. Leach Truck Parts in Crystal Lake sells Trailstar. I think there is an East

dealer just up the street from House of Trucks, but I don't know anything about them. I know Stuart Tank is also an East dealer. You

would have to talk to each dealer to see different specs on different trailers.

• 1 month later...

I went with the E-Pak steel trailer when i was looking. It is pretty light for steel, I put it on material hauling 80% of the time. Then it has a 2 way gate that is really easy to switch. I do a fair amount of demo, so the trucks can still haul demo debris and concrete from me. With the E-Pak and the Pinnacle, we can squeeze 22.5 tons on if you run 73,000. The selling point with E-Pak was the quick delivery time, dealt with the manufacturer, and had some say in the design. My one complaint is that the dump angle is not steep enough, but they are working with me to fix that. I think a taller ram will make it fine.

• Like 1

I went with the E-Pak steel trailer when i was looking. It is pretty light for steel, I put it on material hauling 80% of the time. Then it has a 2 way gate that is really easy to switch. I do a fair amount of demo, so the trucks can still haul demo debris and concrete from me. With the E-Pak and the Pinnacle, we can squeeze 22.5 tons on if you run 73,000. The selling point with E-Pak was the quick delivery time, dealt with the manufacturer, and had some say in the design. My one complaint is that the dump angle is not steep enough, but they are working with me to fix that. I think a taller ram will make it fine.

Just watch the debris and concrete that they put in there. It's light, which means not as thick. I saw a guy this year with a brand new Coras and he already had to put patches in it cause it was too thin.

I know, I dont send them out to haul concrete for other contractors. Just broken ashpalt and dirt with debris in it. I am pretty rough on my own stuff, and have put some big concrete in there. So far so good. I really like the top rub rail being on an angle, i can use it to cut wire and debris with the bucket without any problems. The trailers are hardox 450, and it seems pretty tough.

EPak is new to the chicago market, and they seem to have a good product.

• Like 1

Sas yes its similar. His is a 96. 3406c. Mechanical ( I LOVE mechanical throttles)

390 gearing, 18 speed, 198 wb, 370 hp. Great truck but he wasn't ready. His will be mine someday. I already am thinking of ordering an Eldorado vip seat from Canada again to complete the ride but ill wait. Truck is longer than im used to but already looks awesome in my garage lol. 65-70 mph was right around 1500 rpm. I don't like 10 speeds but its rebuilt 2 years ago and with how torque I make, I jerking I can still keep the tach down low on each shift and make power.

it was pretty comfortable on the way home but passenger was making alot of noise. Im going to look into that. Ill post pics here later. Funny thing is, The mack is still an awesome truck for what it is. Can't compare to pete for ride quality and gearing and looks tho. I almost bought a used ch 427 this year with a 13 speed. Was a great work truck but I guess I wanted a working with class truck lol

Another one went to the dark side lol

I'm not against Petes, I just don't like half the guys that drive them that think if you don't have a Pete 359,379,389 you are not cool.

I like some of them, but it's like a '67-'69 Camaro. Every car show is full of Camaros just like Petes at truck shows. One of the last truck magazines I got showed all the different class winners for the show and every category was a Pete. Really shocked there wasn't a KW at least.

It's all persanal preference in what you want and like. I've sat in many and it just doesn't fit me right. And I hate how the clutch peddle is also. Though I've never driven a C15 and I always hear once you drive one you will never want to drive anything else.

I think it's cooler that you had an RD working everyday and looking that great.

I will never say I'd never own own. I sat in that new vocational truck Pete has the 567 axle forward and that was a really nice truck with the new redesigned cab. But I guess I still wouldn't be cool cause it's not a 357,379,389 lol

• Like 2