Sell me on a 2016

The new Macks are a good deal if you stay away from Volvo's half baked ideas like "M-Drive". Go with the triple countershaft Mack transmission or the Allison if you need an automatic, and unless you do nothing but highway running, go for the Mack rear axle(s). Where are you going to run and at what weights?

• Like 1

Put your salesmen hats on & sell me on why should I buy a 2016 Mack.The good , the bad and the ugly. Reliability? Service? Mpg ? Chu613, small bunk, local tank work.

Do NOT buy a Mack brand truck until they introduce common rail.

Also, you may have noticed on most tractors now that you can stand up right out of the drivers seat........the cab front area and the sleeper area are one big open space. That's not the case with Mack-branded trucks. The upcoming new cab will address that issue.........relevant if that matters to you.

• Like 1

Are mack and Volvo going to have identical cabs?

My understanding is they will share a common Volvo global cab platform with differentiating trim.

Mack salesmen across the country have been frustrated for a long time now over Volvo's foot-dragging the introduction of the new Mack-brand cab. (Volvo dragged their feet for years on the LE upgrade as well - http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/40316-mack-introduces-new-lr-refuse-chassis/)

In long-haul, a vast swathe of customers are turned off by the 27-year-old CH cab's lack of integration with the sleeper area.

The dual-brand Volvo/Mack dealers are, as a result, becoming accustomed to putting these operators behind the wheel of a Volvo.

And there's a very good possibility that this is a Volvo strategy, a between-the-lines way of migrating Mack customers over to the Volvo brand.

Crunching the numbers, Volvo Group doesn't subscribe to the General Motors method of building duplicate truck products under two brands (ie. Chevrolet/GMC). Why compete with yourself? The unnecessary added expense of two plants producing overlapping products...........

As you can see from the sales numbers, Volvo Group is successfully making its self-named brand their long-haul product for the North American market. The Mack brand will in all likelihood be reduced to being their vocational brand.

I've updated out fleet a few times in the last 5 years. We now have Macks that get better fuel economy with more break downs that are twice as expensive for every breakdown. By chance, we have also come to find our dealers in the area are less responsive to our needs because every customer they have is making the same complaints. Our drivers are happy with the performance of our newer Macks but complain about sleeper space. One of our drivers pleaded with us to get him a VN780, even he knew that the only difference is the cab and sleeper to our Pinnacles. Let's just say from his 2013 Mack to the VN he is much happier. If I could get drivers to drive 90's and older Macks I would change the entire fleet back and enjoy the bigger profit margin. Big Customer contracts and spoiled drivers demand newer units in our fleet, not economics and common sense. Well played Volvo, the demise of Mack's individuality is coming closer by the day. (fishhook, you sound like a focus group asking questions about you own product)

• Like 2

we have are own shop as well as trucks we work on all the new trucks the macks are still the simplest to work on the macks are not I repeat not having the trouble the Volvos are....I know there the same im getting tired of hearing that shit...freightliner is anightmare 3year old trucks and there wore out ...are new mack will be built on the 20th and it was a easy choice to make looking at all and I mean others

Pay isn't the issue. Entitlement before a days work is even finished seems to be the biggest hurdle. I'm from the same school of thought on trucks and their specs. It's a people problem. I wrenched in a fleet of over 1500 Volvo's at one time, I'm quite aware of the bullcrap that it's cab and sleeper and internal components are more complex and more difficult to work on. That is why we held off on getting a Volvo for so long. Macks cab and internals are far simpler and easier to maintain. But without drivers who enjoy their surroundings, you have nothing.

I have a 2016 CXU 613. MP8, 505c+, Eaton 13 speed, mack twin Y/rears. I have had it for almost 3 months now and have loved it since day 1. It has 30 000 miles and it's 90 day average is 7.38 US MPG running the I 15 corridor between Canada and California, loaded 75 to 80 000 lbs all the time.

I have a 2016 CXU 613. MP8, 505c+, Eaton 13 speed, mack twin Y/rears. I have had it for almost 3 months now and have loved it since day 1. It has 30 000 miles and it's 90 day average is 7.38 US MPG running the I 15 corridor between Canada and California, loaded 75 to 80 000 lbs all the time.

Thank you I have asked this question before on here and no one has ever given real figures it's a bit like break downs how can one compare the cost of things if no one ever shows the real figures this would be the closest to real figures I have seen on here for new Mack's

Paul

I started out on R's, Superliners then CL. Dealt with the lovely new '04's, wiring nightmares & constant turbo failure, death wobbles from front ends, etc ,at a company I worked for. Now an O/O, (presently have a Coronado glider). From the majority I've talked to, Mack really hasn't much improved from the 04's. And the dealers still SUCK. Mack "seems" to have the emissions worked out, but the rest is still a crap shoot at best. Always liked Mack, the looks, interior, layout etc, but I really cannot see buying one with all the likely downtime and dealer BS. I was hoping for some positive feedback in general, but sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case for the most part.

I'm amazed that todays drivers can be won over by a fancy interior and big sleeper but can't figure out that wages and benefits are more important. Me, I see a sleeper and that sets off the alarm bells that the employer expects me to live in the truck!

Yeah me too. In another thread recently a guy wanted to update his fleet and I made a similar suggestion. Pay higher wages to drive a WELL MAINTAINED older fleet and word would eventually get out about a better paying job. I'll probably be hung on here for saying this but if I had to buy my own truck it would be a kenworth or maybe a Pete with a 3406E in it. Drove one for years and never had any problems. Simple engine that ran for ever, got decent mileage and did I say ran forever? I'm not familiar enough with Macks to know or recommend any model or engine because they are rare in these parts.

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Just a heads up, I run 55 when I have time and 59 when I'm in a hurry heh. So keep that in mind with that fuel mileage number. However that is miles divided by gallons since new. Not some finger in the wind, smoke up your ass number like most throw out there when asked their fuel economy. Also keep in mind, always heavy, hilly terrain, and 505 horse/1860 torque in all gears. This thing performs like a champ. Pulls every bit as good as my BXS C15 and my CM871 ISX both rated approximately the same.

Edited by wiserfrombud

Yup. I don't think anybody could deny emissions trucks have their share of issues, but from my experience it hasn't been nearly as bad as all of the pre emissions fans make it out to be. I made a good living with my two previous emissions trucks (2005 379 pete/2010 kw t660 both ordered new)and plan on doing the same with my new Mack. I am not willing to sacrifice all of the creature comforts of a new truck. This Mack rides nice, it's quet, I love the lighting, and the climate control is second to none! So far I am very happy with it.

Edited by wiserfrombud
  • Like 1