I am rebuilding a 1961 Mack B61 with 673 Thermaldyne engine. It has been setting in a field for 30 years. I can start it on starter fluid but am not getting fuel out of the pump. I have been told I need to get #1 piston in the proper timing position before I remove the fuel pump to have it gone through. How do I tell when I have #1 piston in the correct postion?

if you take the pump off and put it right back on, its no big deal, as long as you DONT turn the engine over with the pump off. im sure the plungers are stuck in the pump. close tolerances in there. theres a few threads on here on how to free them up. first thing to do is take the pump off and soak in about 5 gallons of kero for a week.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

just curious if you have checked your supply pump for pressure to see if it is not stuck, also taking the side cover off the injection pump and check the rack to make sure they are able to move freely with the throttle and engine stop level. I have seen them seize up from setting many a times. You may want to visit www.ambacdiesel.com and go to Technical data section. you will need your model number off of your injection pump. they have all the parts list, calibrations, specifications etc especially for the older Macks.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. I now have the injectors out and numbered in a rack. I have the fuel pump separated from the engine housing, but there seems to be something holding it inside. Is there a pin I need to get out?