B 83 SX for sale

B 83 SX sitting two miles north of Wooster Ohio on St.Rt. 83. Has Bucyrus Erie H-5 Hydrocrane mounted on it..looks pretty clean and and has a crane service logo on it...Data plate says B 83 SX 1230s something...call 330-669-3545....dont know anymore just passing this along....Jim...If anyones interested I can go back and check it out better for you....

post-5924-0-14456500-1436718180_thumb.jp

post-5924-0-37682700-1436718213_thumb.jp

post-5924-0-94734500-1436718250_thumb.jp

post-5924-0-37174600-1436718300_thumb.jp

post-5924-0-64668100-1436718337_thumb.jp

post-5924-0-55282700-1436718378_thumb.jp

post-5924-0-09852500-1436718414_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I'm in love. Looks like the hard stuff has been done already. If you can't toss an angry cat through the holes in the fendors on an 8 series Mack you are doing great!

It would be neat to play around with that rig for sure. I too wonder how much, not that I have the coin for it now...

Those rear fenders are almost exactly what I want to make for my 815...

Greg

I noticed that this ruck has the big tall top (sheet metal?) tank on the radiator. I typically think of that radiator being on a B-87 and that an 83 shares the same radiator as the B-815, having the big radiator but the cast tank which is shorter and of course widths are the same being the wide unit and not the narrow one on B-81 trucks...What drove the use of the BIG tank? Was it optional and or specified based upon the location and intended service of the unit?

Whats the deal on these?

that sure is one handy machine right there. I wonder why it says GAS on the fuel tank tho??????

if you enlarge the picture the green tag on hte driver side tank says ultra low sulfur diesel fuel only.

so as was already said, the passenger side tank is probablt for the rear mount crane

Edited by tjc transport

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I must admit I am a greenhorn. With that said, my question is this; What are the differences between the B81 and the B83 and then again a B87? Are the differences in the radiator, cooling systems, engine manufacturers? Is there a book out there that can detail for me the differences in the models?

There isn't one list that will do all that but check out the BMT Wiki because there is a ton of info located there.

Click Wiki in the BMT toolbar and you can scroll through for transmission info, general info and then a good amount of specific model info for C615, B61, etc.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that this ruck has the big tall top (sheet metal?) tank on the radiator. I typically think of that radiator being on a B-87 and that an 83 shares the same radiator as the B-815, having the big radiator but the cast tank which is shorter and of course widths are the same being the wide unit and not the narrow one on B-81 trucks...What drove the use of the BIG tank? Was it optional and or specified based upon the location and intended service of the unit?

Whats the deal on these?

It is an X model. Would that be why?

I believe the Radiator is due to engine choice. Standard B83 had a 220 cummins. This one was special ordered with a 335.

I believe that is the reason. The X designation isn't enough to drive it as a B-81SX would not have even the big radiator or the big top tank that goes with the '87 or special order engines. My next question is would a "typical quadbox" be capable of handling the 335 or would the trans be special order as well?

Still have that B-81 wrecker bwoolbr?

Years ago, I had a B833ST with a 335 and quad box. I believe that the 335 was OEM but never checked to be sure. It had the wider radiator than the B81 but it did not have the larger top tank. Pretty sure the trans was a TRQ720.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

What was the torque rating of tri/quad?

What was the rating of the 335? I suppose it was rated at 1500-2100 rpm?

Did Mack only add the double/triple countershaft boxes after they made the maxidyne motors? Lugging them down to 1100 rpm.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"