whats this?

Go to solution Solved by theakerstwo,

on my 85 rws 713 left side of the motor is this device,its got oil and airlines going into it,the truck is originally from the northwest,Oregon,Washington area,it had Canadian DOT #s,everyone who knows cummins that i show it to has never seen this before,does anyone know what its for?post-17928-0-69391700-1432387971_thumb.j[attachment=

It looks like an Accumulator. It pre lubes or pre and post lubes the engine before start up and the turbo after engine shut down. Can't really tell from pic though if it has and electric solenoid on it. It appears it does on the lower right in photo. That's wired to the run side of the key switch.

One start up the solenoid opens and a couple of quarts of oil pre lube the engine. When the engine starts and runs the Accumulator is refilled. On shut off the solenoid closed with the accumulaor filled and under a few PSI. I run an similar set up on my Marmon and race car. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

It looks like an Accumulator. It pre lubes or pre and post lubes the engine before start up and the turbo after engine shut down. Can't really tell from pic though if it has and electric solenoid on it. It appears it does on the lower right in photo. That's wired to the run side of the key switch.

One start up the solenoid opens and a couple of quarts of oil pre lube the engine. When the engine starts and runs the Accumulator is refilled. On shut off the solenoid closed with the accumulaor filled and under a few PSI. I run an similar set up on my Marmon and race car. Paul

im thinking your right,someone else also thought it was,thanks,

That looks like a 475 cummins with a variable cam follower and that is the air cylinder to shift the cam followers.

Glenns right it is not an Accumulator. I forgot about Cummins developing a mechanical timing set up. They were mechanical using a fuel pressure to work and air switch. air on an eccentric arm on the cam followers that retarded valve and injector timing by using higher fuel pressure as a trigger. Cummins used it on a few engines back when. I recall seeing one in a Autocar a long while ago. No Accumulator!!!

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

the truck is a hoss glen,twin turbos,one compounds the other and it develops alot of torque in the lower rpms,got really lucky to find it on ebay,it was in sedro wooly Washington,almost in Canada,me and a friend drove it back to Georgia,43 hrs and 1700 in fuel,i work the truck almost every day,

• Like 1