Anyone know who made the gauges generally installed in mid 80s R Models as in the attached picture?

I am installing a new dash so will do the guages at the same time. Would be a lot easier if I can get new compatable versions to avoid changing fittings, senders etc.

Does anyone have suggestions for where I can get some new replacements on line?

Thanks

post-14517-0-01521900-1430041416_thumb.j

Stewart Warner did the B model gauges and pretty sure some R as well. Teleflex also made some.

Every so often that style graphics gauge shows up on ebay. Summit Racing Equipment is a good place to get SW gauges but I haven't seen that exact face graphics on their site.

Some OEM part numbers:

9MT36 fuel neg ground.

3MT35P2 coolant neg ground

70MT31P2 oil pres.

7MT320RP2 air 2" bezel

51MS39 voltmeter

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Thanks for the info - the OEM part numbers will be useful for sure.

I am in Australia so will have to stick to places that will accept electronic payment and will post. It is often easier to get parts posted from the US compared to trying to find them here.

• Like 1

The coolant temp, oil pressure and possibly the fuel level are Metric and different from our U.S. Mack Gauges. Auto Meter Gauges does have a Metric series of gauges. Paul

http://performanceparts.com/performance_series/Auto_Meter_Metric_Series/1-p-a/

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I replaced my pyrometer in my R a few months ago before I sold it. I was able to get the manufacture info off of it and researched it and bought a replacement from them less expensive than Mack, and it is OEM so it matched everything. It was so cheap I bought a new probe and wire too. They accept payment over the phone and are in CA. They sent me a packet of other items that they make and they still source OEM to Mack and other builders.

Hewitt Industries 714-891-9300

http://www.hewittindustries.com/

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Thanks all - heaps of helpful responses as always.

I never thought of having them restored. I have another truck that I would like to do this for (not a Mack, but it is of similar vintage to the R Model) so will try Howards.

My reasoning for trying to find the genuine ones for the Mack was so I could get the new dash in quickly without having to change a lot of fittings etc.

I might consider just buying a new aftermarket set and working through it.

Anyone know whether the power running to the dash gauges is 12/24v?

I've been looking at some new gauges for my truck. My fuel gauge has no needle so this is first on my list.

I'd like to state I'm not electronically minded. But a lot of different fuel gauges have different ohms. What do I need for my mack or doesn't it matter?

The ohms need to match up for the gauge to indicate the correct level of fuel.

If you have or can borrow a multimeter, put it on the ohms scale and see what the reading is at the fuel sender when the truck is full and then check it when you know the truck is getting close to empty. That will verify the ohms range of the gauge you will need to buy.

You can also call the dealer and with your VIN, they may tell you the ohms rating that belongs to your truck.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.