How reliable are macks?

Thinking about buying used mack....chu 613 model. I don't know a lot about these trucks but like their looks. I'm an otr driver with landstar doing mostly expedite loads in Canada and Usa. ..are mack parts readily available?....can I get fuel and oil filters @ ta or petro locations...sorry for the long rant....randall[emoji4]

Every truck is great but they all can give you issues. I talked to a guy the other day who runs all macks, about 30 of them. He said some go out and never see the shop again except to get serviced, but theres always the one or two with constant issues. I think alot of it depends on the driver and the maintenance. Everyone (except international) has a good product out there. Its just choosing the right one for you.

• Like 1

What year? motor?

Most filters would be available at Petro, T/A NAPA. Not MACK brand but Baldwins are good

With regular maintenance they are VERY reliable. Knowing how to do a lot of stuff keeps the costs down.

Get the vin# and call a Mack dealer. They can give you the part #'s for u-joints, wheel bearings and seals

Good luck...Ed

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I've asked a lot of people that have different trucks and I have heard that Mack/Volvo has the best emmisions setup out there. I have a '12 CHU, but only put 5,500 miles on it so far so can't really tell you. I went with what everyone says to get, the MP8 445c and I have the Mdrive.

Though just from what I've had it, my old '98 CH 427 with 4.17 gears got better MPG than this one with direct drive 2.64 gears.

I've asked a lot of people that have different trucks and I have heard that Mack/Volvo has the best emmisions setup out there. I have a '12 CHU, but only put 5,500 miles on it so far so can't really tell you. I went with what everyone says to get, the MP8 445c and I have the Mdrive.

Though just from what I've had it, my old '98 CH 427 with 4.17 gears got better MPG than this one with direct drive 2.64 gears.

Direct drive and 2.64 gears? Kind of tall isn't it? what do you haul?

Ya, wasn't what I wanted or was told it was. Dealer kinda miss informed me and said it wasn't their fault that the information about the truck was wrong. I haul dump, belt and tanker.

The supposed "Chicago Spec" for the new trucks is 3.36 with over drive. I calculated mine out and it's almost what they are suggesting.

We will see how it holds up.