Superliner 1 steering box leak

Bought a Superliner 1 that is 900 miles away. Runs and drives well, but leaks power steering fluid at the box seal. Leak's pretty bad. I want to drive it home, not the least bit worried about manual steering, but I don't want to do further damage by running it dry.

Guy I bought it off of offered to fix it before I took off, but I want to source parts and any info for him I can beforehand.

So, two questions.

Will I do any damage by just driving it dry?

Second, Can someone get me a parts list for that box? My local Mack shop can't find anything on it anymore. (Thank you Volvo)

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

Does your truck have one box or two and if it does which box is leaking, I have a rebuild seal kit from Mack that I never used on my truck, it was from the passenger side, I had to replace both my steering box's, the driver side was just worn out so I replaced it with one from Mack and the other side was leaking, we opened it up and the outer seal just had to much of a wear grove under it that new seals would of leaked sooner or later so we replaced it aswell. So if you need a kit I have one.

Jack

If you plan on driving it home I would buy some Lucas power steering stop leak or Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer and drive it home. with Lucas in there it would be better than just plain 15w-40 oil, may not leak that bad. rebuild it when you get it home just a thought.

Does your truck have one box or two and if it does which box is leaking, I have a rebuild seal kit from Mack that I never used on my truck, it was from the passenger side, I had to replace both my steering box's, the driver side was just worn out so I replaced it with one from Mack and the other side was leaking, we opened it up and the outer seal just had to much of a wear grove under it that new seals would of leaked sooner or later so we replaced it aswell. So if you need a kit I have one.

Jack

It has one box located on the steering axle.

If you plan on driving it home I would buy some Lucas power steering stop leak or Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer and drive it home. with Lucas in there it would be better than just plain 15w-40 oil, may not leak that bad. rebuild it when you get it home just a thought.

Does that stuff work pretty well?

i cant remember the thread but i have posted a steering box rebuilder in portland oregon"pro steering" they seem to have damn near anything and if they dont have an exchange they will rebuild yours. as far as i know mack didnt build boxes, it could be a ross,trw,or saganaw, we used to have a truck with that set up but i dont remember the brand of box.

i cant remember the thread but i have posted a steering box rebuilder in portland oregon"pro steering" they seem to have damn near anything and if they dont have an exchange they will rebuild yours. as far as i know mack didnt build boxes, it could be a ross,trw,or saganaw, we used to have a truck with that set up but i dont remember the brand of box.

They used Shepard and Gemmer, not much left in the Mack system. There are other sources for parts.

FW

The box in the picture is a Sheppard. The input seal is just the same as a 392. Before you get too involved in this one see if you can find a Ross. They are much better in this application. The pitman arms stay tight and the pitman shaft bushings last longer. Back in the day we ran a small fleet of these and found this out. I found a nice one for mine at Global in NH acouple years back. Phil was there at the time and it was only $250. Good luck, Steve

If your gonna drive it you will have to keep fluid in it,its almost impossible to steer a truck that has power steering that is disabled because of a bad pump or no fluid going to it.How bad does it leak,can you bring enough extra fluid with you to get home?

The box in the picture is a Sheppard. The input seal is just the same as a 392. Before you get too involved in this one see if you can find a Ross. They are much better in this application. The pitman arms stay tight and the pitman shaft bushings last longer. Back in the day we ran a small fleet of these and found this out. I found a nice one for mine at Global in NH acouple years back. Phil was there at the time and it was only $250. Good luck, Steve

What is the Ross model number? Or should I just say a "Ross" pump for a Superliner 1?

If your gonna drive it you will have to keep fluid in it,its almost impossible to steer a truck that has power steering that is disabled because of a bad pump or no fluid going to it.How bad does it leak,can you bring enough extra fluid with you to get home?

Yeah, I was told to just keeper' topped off with Lucas stop leak.... But I actually don't know how bad it runs out... He claims its worse when you turn the wheel :blush:

I have driven home with a blown hose. It didn't hurt the pump. Drove it @ 150 miles. Would I suggest you drive with no oil? NO. However, like they have said, keep oil in it and you will be just fine

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!