Was wondering the same thing on my e7 350 rd mack. I have the 460 turbo on it and still have the stock 5 inch from dp to 4 inch reduced to muffler. I have been wanting to do something but obviously mack doesn't make anything. Am i best off just meausuring it all and go to iowa 80? I would like to just get 5 inch all the way through and then maybe 6 inches or so from the bottom of the truck up to the pipe. So no muffler. I was just wondering how it would sound on my truck and the best place to get a shiny pipe made for it??? Sorry to thread jack your thread though.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

I had a 4" straight pipe on my '87 R and loved it. I put a 5" straight pipe on my '96 RD but it kind of looked out of place. I had flex pipe running up behind the cab, then a 4" to 5" reducer, then about a 48" chrome pipe. I couldn't figure out a way to make the factory RD pipe work, because of the sharp 90 degree bend it makes right before the muffler. I ended up just putting it back factory for looks, mainly. I loved the sound.

• Like 1

Jake

I always had straight pipes on my old R models and liked it but I put one on my Ch and after two days I took it off. It sounded good but just seemed to have a different rumble to it going down the road . Drove me nuts. About six months later thought I would try it again didn't last any longer that time either. I have straight pipes on my Super with the mufflers in them wish they were a little louder.

The higher you go the less sound in the cab,they do make drop in mufflers,no idea how well they work.This was straight five inch I put on my 83,wasn't loud in the cab at all unless the window was open.

Very nice looking truck!

I have a 673T with a straight pipe. In my opinion the truck is just noisy in general and a muffler wouldn't do much for it.

I like the way it sounds though. Ordered my pipe through Mutual Wheel and had the bracket custom made. I think the

pipe was only like $150 or something like that. Was a few years ago when I put it on.

• Like 1

A turbo is a fairly effective muffler on its own. A non-turbo has the potential to be pretty raucous, unless you like that type of thing (which I don't). A straight-piped 237 makes about the sweetest sound ever IMHO.

Find a nice 4" muffler to put under the cab. (that will give you the straight pipe look) About the only time the window is not down is when it is 30 degrees out, even then its to load after 5 minutes. My 59 with 4" straight is very loud and makes me not want to drive it a lot plus you have to wear hearing protection. If I was driving it to all the shows instead of hauling it it would have probably 3 mufflers on it. Sounds cool and gets lots of looks when running and cruising around an event, but if you want to drive anywhere you need a muffler or double layer the dynomat over the entire cab and doors.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."