1978 RWL766LST Starting clean up

Update

Went to check on the truck looks like they have done some work to it maybe by Christmas I will get it back. I haven't done anything more with the sleeper just been sitting in the way out in the shop. I don't dare bring it up there because it may slow the process down again. Really not sure why it is taking so long since there is no rust, just some minor holes and stress cracks in the sheet metal. There is a couple spots that were redone because previous repair work was not that great. You can see on the lower front of the door sills that at some point, both sides of the front cab mount supports were replaced. The repair is good, just poor finish work in those location with the welds.

That was basically all the problems with the cab and also a crack on the drivers door around one of the mirror brackets holes. I am having him fill in the rocker panel seams along the bottom, at some point and the seams were filled full of weld. Looking at that repair job, was probably welded when they redid the cab mounts.

Anyone looking for a Superliner 1 hood let me know. It has a couple cracks no fiberglass missing or cracked through, has some spiders but is overall real solid. When I bought the sleeper and I got a second hood for the trim. I dropped the second hood off in June thinking they would get it ready before I dropped the truck off, but no such luck.

post-10018-0-70135200-1445951901_thumb.jpost-10018-0-73749000-1445951938_thumb.jpost-10018-0-64660500-1445951951_thumb.jpost-10018-0-38027600-1445951965_thumb.jpost-10018-0-20781700-1445951979_thumb.j

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Nothing looks as nice as a fresh paintwork!

Espesially if it's red.

You're not that bad with the paintshop. I wait for just the sunvisor to be painted for 3 month now.

And my sleeper is in the wait lane since about March.

Visiting shop folks often makes things faster sometimes.

Although they start to get costs for future projects from the sky in some cases either.

Hope to see more Red Bright progress from you soon.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 2 months later...

Today I went and picked the truck up from the painters, have some stuff I need to fix, seems the high beams no longer work so I will have to see whats going on with that. The new headliner is in but the air horn doesnt work and they never hooked up the two new seats.

Well now just need to have the sleeper painted so I can mount it. Hopefully that will take less time but I am not holding my breath.

Pictures in the morning.

I think the turbo will need replaced it seemed to make a hard whistle when crowding it. Maybe I am not used to it since I have not driven the truck in 7 months. It has a Cummins 400 seems that when I get around 12 to 15lbs of boost it makes whistles than jumps up to 25 to 30 if I let up a little on the throttle but hold steady on the rpms the turbo quiets and the boost drops back to 5 to 10 and hold steady, push down again and the turbo whistles hard and the boost jumps up to 25 to 30. At first I thought it might be the visor I added like when you crack a window but after realizing it was related to the throttle it was easy to duplicate.

Robert

Today I went and picked the truck up from the painters, have some stuff I need to fix, seems the high beams no longer work so I will have to see whats going on with that. The new headliner is in but the air horn doesnt work and they never hooked up the two new seats.

Well now just need to have the sleeper painted so I can mount it. Hopefully that will take less time but I am not holding my breath.

Pictures in the morning.

I think the turbo will need replaced it seemed to make a hard whistle when crowding it. Maybe I am not used to it since I have not driven the truck in 7 months. It has a Cummins 400 seems that when I get around 12 to 15lbs of boost it makes whistles than jumps up to 25 to 30 if I let up a little on the throttle but hod steady on the rpms the turbo quiets and the boost drops back to 5 to 10 and hold steady, push down again and the turbo whistles hard and the boost jumps up to 25 to 30. At first I thought it might be the visor I added like when you crack a window but after realizing it was related to the throttle it was easy to duplicate.

Check the Anaroid . Have to say, like the look!!!

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

Check the Anaroid . Have to say, like the look!!!

I thought about that but there does not seem to be any performance issues except that it smokes at idle. According to the PO, one of his drivers tried to "turn it up" and they sent it to the shop to get the pump put back together, and since then it smoke at idle.

Probably could use an adjustment on the pump pressure but I think first I will check the intake hoses to see if there is a hole or leak as it only happens under boost pressure. Start with the easy stuff and see what happens.

Robert

No pictures yet, I ended up taking the interior out, the horns did not work and they mounted the valve backwards and the valve is broken. I did get some odds and ends done but did not get outside to wash it good to knock the dust off. Kinda disappointed in the way a few things were done but it is what is I will just fix it and try to get over it.

Tomorrow supposed to be in the 60s so a good day to wash it up if I can locate the air valve.

Robert

you are most likely on the right track. Just because I have seen this problem before check the return fuel to the tank. make sure there are aren't any restrictions. Usually associated with numb throttle response. Like RPM's not coming down fast

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

It was a whistle I inspected the intake tubes and elbows there is one that has a hole in it I would say for debris and it looks like the inside of a whistle I took most everything apart and inspected it and looked for leaks, the noise seemed to be coming from the drivers side so I think this is the culprit. It had a hose clamp on it so it is probably supposed to have a hose on it that doesn't allow the whistle. I put a couple layers of 3 inch good quality vinyl electrical tape over it and I was planning on taking it out for a test drive but it didn't work out today.

post-10018-0-39087100-1453947776_thumb.j

Robert