Caterpillar CT630S / CT630SC

kscarbel2

CAT trucks are assembled by Navistar, but as is obvious, Caterpillar has gone to great lengths to create for themselves a uniquely designed truck for the Australian on-highway market.

In the beginning, CAT Australia trucks were assembled at a NC2 CAT-Navistar joint venture plant in Tullamarine, Victoria. But when Navistar NC2 Global Australia became a wholly owned subsidiary of Navistar in 2011, and was renamed Navistar Auspac Pty Ltd, production shifted to North America in 2012.

In the US market where CAT is focused on vocational with the CT660 and CT681, due to incompetent people, the company is going nowhere.

However in Australia where CAT is focused on on-highway, and has some real truck people on the team, the company's efforts down under have legs.

With the closing of Navistar's Garland, Texas plant (the former Marmon truck plant) in late 2012 where WorkStar, PayStar, TranStar and MaxxPro military vehicles were built, some Prostar* and all CAT truck production shifted to Navistar's Escobedo, Mexico plant.

* Prostar production, as well as Durastar, is spread between Springfield and Escobedo. US market CT660 and CT681 vocational models are also built in Escobedo.

http://www.internationaltrucks.com/trucks/experience/escobedo_plant

I have to tell you, I feel the Australian market CAT trucks are extremely good looking trucks (unlike the Tonka toy-like US market CT660). The CAT C15 is well liked down under, and the company seems to have resolved its issues.

In comparison, the next generation Kenworth T680 and Peterbilt Model 579 with the new cheaper-for-Paccar common cab are hideous looking.

And this brings forth a little discussed matter. In the past, each evolutionary step in truck development provided operators with greater value in terms of operational costs, durability and comfort. Truckmakers competed by offering the customer more value.

But we have now arrived at a juncture where truck development is focused around saving the truck manufacturers money to enhance their bottom line (not unlike today's car industry). Content is being removed where truckmakers perceive the customer either won't mind, or won't notice.

The price you pay will continue to escalate, but the value of the truck you receive is going down. Make no mistake about it, you're getting less truck for your money. Paccar's new common cab is a perfect example, with a drastically lower production cost than the Kenworth and Peterbilt cabs it replaces. The introducion of Paccar's common cab is entirely about injecting greater profitability into the company's bottom line, and has no benefit to the customer.

As always KSC thx for the good info. Amazes me how at least in this neck of the woods, in spite of fierce loyalty to the Cat brand, I have never heard anyone have a good thing to say about these "trucks". And I always say, you could paint a pile of dog poop Cat yellow and the comments would be.."that IS the best looking dog poop I've ever seen".

As to your Paccar comments on the common cab, when do the Swedes play that card with Volvo/Mack? Which of course next question becomes..."why do we have two wrappers around the same powertrains?