1959 B85FSW

41chevy

Sure was a good looking unit in it day. There was a lot of pride in them owning that truck! Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Wow, thanks for doing the research. I used to have a route that put me in Allison Park on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I saw a B model like that once and never saw it again. It passed me going the other way and didn't see where it was from. I also drove past Peebles VFD regularly and never saw it there either.

Jim

Wow, thanks for doing the research. I used to have a route that put me in Allison Park on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I saw a B model like that once and never saw it again. It passed me going the other way and didn't see where it was from. I also drove past Peebles VFD regularly and never saw it there either.

The 1959 according to Bob was kept at station 187 in McCandless from 1985 to the 90's when it was sold. They kept the 1953 MACK which is now a Town Museum piece. It was their first unit, before that all the equipment was in a trailer and a late 30's GMC flatbed for the 17 member dept to fight fires with.

post-3242-0-56333200-1424918990.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul, you really did some digging on finding that information out. Thanks for posting on it. That truck was a beautiful beast in its heyday. It's such a shame somebody scrapped the body out and ruined such a rare piece of history. I'll bet they only got a thousand or so dollars out of the bed in scrap metal.

thats a pretty classy looking bit of gear now for a real dumb question why do US fire trucks have no roof Im sure there must be a reason Im pretty sure all fire trucks in Australia had roofs by the time this one was made

Paul

I was told it was tradition from horse drawn days. Another old timer told me so the crew could see what they were up against arriving at a call. Some where I have photos of a open top R model firetruck from the late 60's early 70's.

P.T.CHESHIRE

I was told it was tradition from horse drawn days. Another old timer told me so the crew could see what they were up against arriving at a call. Some where I have photos of a open top R model firetruck from the late 60's early 70's.

R model convertible that sounds pretty COOL to me that would have been a rare thing

I suppose it had a very large water tank, thus the tandems? Meant for going out far in the woods where water might not be available at the time?

Thanks Paul for digging into this. Great to see the history of such a unique piece of equipment.

I've always wondered the reason for no roof. I suppose that is a valid point on accessing the situation as you drive up. I bet any rain/snow made it difficult no matter what!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The 1959 according to Bob was kept at station 187 in McCandless from 1985 to the 90's when it was sold. They kept the 1953 MACK which is now a Town Museum piece. It was their first unit, before that all the equipment was in a trailer and a late 30's GMC flatbed for the 17 member dept to fight fires with.

attachicon.gif9404693.jpg

Nice! I never saw the '53. I don't get up that way anymore.

Jim

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

There weren't many made. Maybe only that one. I think Port Vue still owns it. Maybe not. I could be completely wrong about both things. Harvey Eckert said Mack priced the semi-open cab so very high on the R model to discourage fire companies from ordering it. It was pretty effective. Mike

There weren't many made. Maybe only that one. I think Port Vue still owns it. Maybe not. I could be completely wrong about both things. Harvey Eckert said Mack priced the semi-open cab so very high on the R model to discourage fire companies from ordering it. It was pretty effective. Mike

Those pics were taken in Shippensberg Pa a while ago. Probably the same R

P.T.CHESHIRE