Question about the new Mack's

I serviced a fleet (12) of 2010-2013 Freightliner Coronados and Century gliders from Fitzgeralds when I had my shop. The cab and sheet metal were so-so. The DDEC III/IV were ok as well but couple were "thrown together". The worst part of them were the interior panels being really chintzy and the windshield seals leaking and condo roof seals. I now work for a Mack Dealer and can attest to the strength and rigidity of the GU cabs. The only problem I've seen this far is an issue with the door seals causing the striker and latch not to seat properly on the drivers door. The interiors are pretty decent. The Mack cab is way quieter compared to the Freightliner cabs. It took a while to get used to not hearing the engine and road sounds. Powertrain wise the 505c is pretty good so far.

• Like 1

I serviced a fleet (12) of 2010-2013 Freightliner Coronados and Century gliders from Fitzgeralds when I had my shop. The cab and sheet metal were so-so. The DDEC III/IV were ok as well but couple were "thrown together". The worst part of them were the interior panels being really chintzy and the windshield seals leaking and condo roof seals. I now work for a Mack Dealer and can attest to the strength and rigidity of the GU cabs. The only problem I've seen this far is an issue with the door seals causing the striker and latch not to seat properly on the drivers door. The interiors are pretty decent. The Mack cab is way quieter compared to the Freightliner cabs. It took a while to get used to not hearing the engine and road sounds. Powertrain wise the 505c is pretty good so far.

To fully realize the benefits of buying a North American market Daimler truck, one has to consider the advanced Cascadia/Cascadia Evolution. While I'm thrilled that Daimler still offers a traditionally-styled tractor, the Coronado, it like the Pinnacle is last generation technology in terms of cab refinement.

The Pinnacle cab, we're really talking about the Mack Trucks-designed CH cab, was conceived over 30 years ago (Mack Trucks would have long ago introduced a more specious, next generation cab for the times, but Volvo wanted to delay so as to be able to use a variant of an upcoming Volvo global cab platform).

As for fit and finish, whenever I inspect new Mack trucks at the dealerships, the chassis is rusting from the front bumper to the tail lamps. I have a problem with that. Thus, the waters are muddied before I move on to check the fit/finish of the cab interior.

To fully realize the benefits of buying a North American market Daimler truck, one has to consider the advanced Cascadia/Cascadia Evolution. While I'm thrilled that Daimler still offers a traditionally-styled tractor, the Coronado, it like the Pinnacle is last generation technology in terms of cab refinement.

The Pinnacle cab, we're really talking about the Mack Trucks-designed CH cab, was conceived over 30 years ago (Mack Trucks would have long ago introduced a more specious, next generation cab for the times, but Volvo wanted to delay so as to be able to use a variant of an upcoming Volvo global cab platform).

As for fit and finish, whenever I inspect new Mack trucks at the dealerships, the chassis is rusting from the front bumper to the tail lamps. I have a problem with that. Thus, the waters are muddied before I move on to check the fit/finish of the cab interior.

Rust? Really? I just pulled in a new truck off the lot, No rust here? Your dealership on the the Salt Flats or the shore of the Dead Sea? lol

• Like 2

Speaking of chassis painting and cab painting. When will Mack modernize the plant system? Unless they already have. I haven't been on a plant tour in about 3 years. During the visit I notice they were still using workers in pits spraying the underside of the chassis and workers above spraying the top side. Along with workers spraying the cabs. Will this ever be automated? I believe kenworth or peterbilt has an automated spray system or semi automated?

I have seen small patches of rusty water coming from seams of trucks sitting in the lot right off the line at the plant. Its the nature of how they paint the frames. The rails come in ecoated, but don't get the final paint until the chassis is pretty much completly assembled, which makes it easy for seams and gaps and behind wires and hoses to not get any paint on them.

Exactly. And look at a new truck after just 30 days outdoors. Any prospective customer can see it at his/her local dealer.

The chassis is not properly primed and painted. The situation, as is, only saves Volvo money.

Must be a Northeast thing, I look at em all thime and dont see any rusty new trucks in TN, I say if your gonna get a Mack do it now, its not going to be long and itll be a Volvo with a Mack badge on the grille and that my friends signals the end of the greatest name in trucks.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

You closed up shop? What happened? I thought you got busy and didn't have time to post project trucks.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Got the first part of you comment but not the second???

I figured that the reason you stopped posting pictures of repair work was you got to much work to do during the day to take pictures and post them, for awhile you were taking pictures of some of the work and rebuild, now I guess it is because you closed up shop.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

You are correct that I did get too busy to post repairs. Some repairs I did post to the Facebook page and website. They were more just highlights of typical repairs. Not to mention some non Mack repairs that I thought you guys wouldn't be interested in. It was easier to upload to both Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest because I had them all linked via a mobile app. The website updates were very easy as well. I chose to close up shop due for various reasons. Number one being family health insurance; my children come first. Thankfully were all healthy but it's only responsible to have coverage. The second being 30,45,and 60 day customers; thats how some national fleet accounts that I had pay. Having cash flow for future jobs is imperative. Plus my mortgage company doesn't care that we didn't get paid for the in frame job yet or not paid/super slow. The third was due to getting short changed or non paying customers. Before you ask "why did you release the truck before payment?", because they (customer) state they need the truck to work so they can pay me; catch 22. The forth reason was timing. I had an job offer from my current employer that took care of a couple of the main issues with dealing with at a time when I was fed up with up not getting paid.

Well I hung around the Mack Truck service center office this past week in Pa.I spoke to many guys waiting for there new or close to new Macks..... I'll be buyin a new Western Star with A Detroit! Sorry Mack guys but the news was not good on any one that I spoke to about the trucks! But I will say this, the dealer was on top of things but was just as frustrated as the owners!!

I gave It a shot BULLHUSK

• Like 1

Hanging out at a dealer service department seems like a good place to get specifics from other owners as to what problems they are having. And you know the answers won't be sugar coated either.

You are correct that I did get too busy to post repairs. Some repairs I did post to the Facebook page and website. They were more just highlights of typical repairs. Not to mention some non Mack repairs that I thought you guys wouldn't be interested in. It was easier to upload to both Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest because I had them all linked via a mobile app. The website updates were very easy as well. I chose to close up shop due for various reasons. Number one being family health insurance; my children come first. Thankfully were all healthy but it's only responsible to have coverage. The second being 30,45,and 60 day customers; thats how some national fleet accounts that I had pay. Having cash flow for future jobs is imperative. Plus my mortgage company doesn't care that we didn't get paid for the in frame job yet or not paid/super slow. The third was due to getting short changed or non paying customers. Before you ask "why did you release the truck before payment?", because they (customer) state they need the truck to work so they can pay me; catch 22. The forth reason was timing. I had an job offer from my current employer that took care of a couple of the main issues with dealing with at a time when I was fed up with up not getting paid.

Hopefully there will be a time in the future when things will fall into place you can give it another shot, if you choose. Your talents need a showcase! At least you will know what to expect since over-priced health insurance and deadbeat losers will likely be with us until the end of time.

• Like 1

Jim

If you hang around the service center, isnt that all you will find are trucks with issues? I wouldn't take my truck in unless there was a problem.

Well do you think the salesman are gonna tell you about any issues with the truck he's selling? I did the same thing with Western Star and Freightliner, I went right to te service Deptment and asked questions and thats why I will not buy there Cascadia cause it's a nightmare to work on! Also the service manager talked me into the DD-13 instead of the DD-15, why? cause the 13 was built for new emissions and the 15 only gives you 35 more Hp both have 1650 max torque and the 13 is 300 lb in change lighter and also cheaper to run! Most salesman won't tell you that. I just went through a big hassle with Freightliner about the 112 tractor with the Mercedes MB-4000 (JUNK) one big hole in the block @ # 2 rod!! The service Manager asked me why did I buy this junk? I said well your salesman told me this motor was the greatest think since Coke A Cola! His answer 'Come and see me the next time they try and change you up' and thats what I have been doin ever since! I'm tryin to work out a deal with Detroit now for a new 3/4 block (I have no core) that piece a s-it is well over 30-K and I'm told its a 400,000 mi motor at best! mine had 460,000 mi!!

BULLHUSK

PS I'm sure Comsumer Reports go to the people who own the product they are reviewing and not to the people who are sellin it? Thats why I will go to any service center to find out about the product I'm intrested in,cause thats were you will find the proublems weather it be Mack, IH, Freightliner, Pac car,or W-S. It just seemed like there were to many neg's and not many Pos.from the people I spoke to who owned or drove the newer Macks

• Like 1

Business is business.

I know a couple of people that run Western Stars and they like them. In today's environment, do the best research you can and get the best service department possible. Between warranty issues and down time, a well run service dept. will save you money.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

When you buy that DD-13 , dont act shocked when you find out they use the same NOX sensors, DEF doser, Holset turbo, same brand/style DEF pump and so on as the Mack/Volvo. Very few suppliers out there anymore. Our Mack/Volvo turbos come in a Cummins box sometimes. That said , I say its a crap shoot with any brand anymore. Just make sure you got a good dealership close by regardless of brand.

Stay away from as many Mack components as possible. Especially the twin Y suspension, it's the biggest disaster since the Titanic!

I can't complain about the MP8, other than it needing a little more torque. Our company fleet is powered by Cummins 550's and the Mack struggles to keep anywhere close to them, except when it comes to the fuel pumps. On a 4200 km rounder up the Alaska highway and back, I consistently use 600 to 700 liters less.

• Like 1

If you hang around the service center, isnt that all you will find are trucks with issues? I wouldn't take my truck in unless there was a problem.

this is a fair comment

my wife and I were looking at buying something a while ago and we new nothing about it and it all sounded to good to be true

so we jumped on google searched thru some reviews had never done this before and almost all we found were negitive reviews did find a couple of good ones

So it got me to thinking only people with a problem would take the time to right a review so we googled the TV the stove the micro wave the car the computer the and they all had reviews some not so good some had whole heap of positive reviews as well

I guess what Im saying is anywhere you go and ask you would get a fairly good cross representation of peoples thoughts by just talking to them

just some thoughts

Paul

When you buy that DD-13 , dont act shocked when you find out they use the same NOX sensors, DEF doser, Holset turbo, same brand/style DEF pump and so on as the Mack/Volvo. Very few suppliers out there anymore. Our Mack/Volvo turbos come in a Cummins box sometimes. That said , I say its a crap shoot with any brand anymore. Just make sure you got a good dealership close by regardless of brand.

I think it's important to be clearer here.

While Cummins subsidiary Holset supplies advanced turbochargers to M-B and Volvo, they are not the same turbocharger. And obviously, we're talking about two entirely different engine architectures (the DD13 being the cutting edge one designed from the onset for the United States' EPA2010 emissions regulations).

Perhaps you meant to say our Mack/Volvo turbos come in a Holset box, not a Cummins box. And Holset builds a great turbo, my preference over Honeywell, Borg Warner and IHI.

As for the Adblue (DEF) system, Bosch's Denoxtronic 2.2 dosing system (http://www.bosch-mobility-solutions.de/specials/de/abgasnachbehandlung/en/subpage/Denoxtronic_2.html) found on Freightliner, Volvo and truck brands worldwide is the global benchmark in this technology and does a superb job.