Question about the new Mack's

There's a MACK dealer in Jersey that did me a big favor last summer when I had break down on the road with one of my Freightliner's and he helped me get her up and running! Well I just might buy a new tractor from them and it's something that I often do to keep my dealer honest so it's not that I am unhappy with Freightliner or my dealer. So here is my question what MACK will be able to keep up with my 470 to 575 Detroit's and have a cab like the Coronado or the 4900-4700 Western Stars?? We still run my R every day and at one time I had 10 Mack's but have not bought one since 1993 (CH) so what motor, cab, trans, and also anyone with one of the newer Mack's can tell me how they are treating you? My transmission is mostly the Eaton 10-c thanks BULLHUSK

The set-forward axle Pinnacle Rawhide Edition would be Coronado equivalent. However, the mid- and high-rise sleeper opening begins behind the driver, rather than at the front windshield on a Freightliner, resulting in less move-around interior space. And the cab isn't as wide. It feels cramped when compared to the Freightliners you run. This is one reason the Mack brand has not been very successful in this segment.

http://www.macktrucks.com/~/media/files/brochures/mack_highway_brochure.ashx?as=1&sc=1

And if you like air ride, you might be limited to the convoluted Volvo-design "Twin Y" air suspension. To date, it's been a sales disaster.

+1 for Superdogs comment, CHU MP8 505C+, you can get the same trans and rears for service and parts commonality. Personally I'd rather have the CHU than the Coronado just due to the body sway associated with the wide cab Freightliner. I'd go with the Grand Touring interior instead of the Rawhide, little cheaper and just as nice but no goofy looking longhorns stitched in the seats.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Get the 505plus, Horton 2 speed fan clutch , get the Eaton manual 10 speed ( however you have to get the one with the higher torque rating due to anything bigger than a 505E) . Mack FXL front axle. Hendrickson air ride rear with eaton rears , Dont get the Rawhide, the visibility down the sides sucks due to the pipes, Looks nice but sucks to drive and yes I have drove a few of them. Every one who has ordered the disc brakes loves them. Just my .02.

So far just day cabs I will ask about the air ride as well, do they not use the Hendrickson style air ride any more? Can it still be ordered? No automatic here! Not yet anyway and I would go with Allison if it happens. The Trans would be Eaton 10-C thank you all for your input its not a done deal just a real hard look at tryin to show that I return a good deed!

Bullhusk

As power train Mack is as good or better than others, but when it comes to cab build quality and fit and finish they are the worst. I wouldn't touch a Mack if I were you. Day cabs are not that bad as they don't need to much staff done to them, but you still have to check the door seals,headliners and door panels.

The door seals will not be glued properly, especially around the corners and you might even find them unglued up to 10 inches on a straight line. I was looking at this brand new Mack truck the other day sitting on the dealers lot and the rubber seal on the driver side was of at least 10 inches sitting there twisted between the cab and the door. BRAND NEW TRUCK.

You'll have to check the headliner for defects and to not be caved in or out.

The door panels might not be installed properly, you'll have to check for gaps all around.

Don't forget to check your cab alignment with the frame. The way you do that is to measure the gap between the cab and the hood on each side using your fingers or anything you want. Most likely it will be of like 99 percent of Mack trucks. Another way is to just look at the airbags. If they're straight up you're good if not then the cab it's of.

Mechanicaly they're good but the cabs and the way they're put together might be worse than anything else out there.

If you get on the sleeper side I have another list for you.

I've spend the last 7 years driving Mack trucks, literally living in them. I've been a guest in my own home. The biggest mistake I made was to by another one in 2011. I shoud have sell the 2008 I had and be done with Mack.

I would stick with Freightliner and Western Star if i would be you. It's not worth it. I just can't recommend this trucks to anybody.

• Like 1

As power train Mack is as good or better than others, but when it comes to cab build quality and fit and finish they are the worst. I wouldn't touch a Mack if I were you. Day cabs are not that bad as they don't need to much staff done to them, but you still have to check the door seals,headliners and door panels.

The door seals will not be glued properly, especially around the corners and you might even find them unglued up to 10 inches on a straight line. I was looking at this brand new Mack truck the other day sitting on the dealers lot and the rubber seal on the driver side was of at least 10 inches sitting there twisted between the cab and the door. BRAND NEW TRUCK.

You'll have to check the headliner for defects and to not be caved in or out.

The door panels might not be installed properly, you'll have to check for gaps all around.

Don't forget to check your cab alignment with the frame. The way you do that is to measure the gap between the cab and the hood on each side using your fingers or anything you want. Most likely it will be of like 99 percent of Mack trucks. Another way is to just look at the airbags. If they're straight up you're good if not then the cab it's of.

Mechanicaly they're good but the cabs and the way they're put together might be worse than anything else out there.

If you get on the sleeper side I have another list for you.

I've spend the last 7 years driving Mack trucks, literally living in them. I've been a guest in my own home. The biggest mistake I made was to by another one in 2011. I shoud have sell the 2008 I had and be done with Mack.

I would stick with Freightliner and Western Star if i would be you. It's not worth it. I just can't recommend this trucks to anybody.

well theres some feed back hopefully some one at Mack takes it on board for you

Paul

• Like 1

The DD13, DD15 and DD16 (M-B OM471, OM472 and OM473) are irrefutably the best powerplants available in the US market today, and superior to the Volvo engine in the Mack. Thus, if you buy the Mack brand truck, you're not getting the best value engine wise with regard to fuel economy, performance and durability.

The DD13, DD15 and DD16 (M-B OM471, OM472 and OM473) are irrefutably the best powerplants available in the US market today, and superior to the Volvo engine in the Mack. Thus, if you buy the Mack brand truck, you're not getting the best value engine wise with regard to fuel economy, performance and durability.

I agree with Detroit beeing the best engine available today in North America.

True statement, no arguments, but I'll have to give the prize for the best aftertreatment ( DPF/SCR) to Mack-Volvo.

After 7 years of driving DPF-SCR equipped Mack I just can't say one goddamn thing wrong about them.

They have been pretty much flawless for me.

The engine is not the best but it's still a respectable motor, and it served me well since the beginning. I heard that they're testing commonrail injection on D13 in Europe as we speak. It's about time cause it's the only engine in North America to not have it. I'm talking heavy duty.

Even the Paccar engine has it and they use CGI for the engine block as well. Looks like the Paccar engine/DAF is a couple of steps ahead of Volvo.

Never thought of that after driving DAF and beeing pretty disappointed with the truck back in early 2000, but obviously they came o long way with the new engine.Good for them.

I just wish that Mack will just pay more attention on how they put this cabs together, the way they select the suppliers, quality control,etc.

I agree with Detroit beeing the best engine available today in North America.

True statement, no arguments, but I'll have to give the prize for the best aftertreatment ( DPF/SCR) to Mack-Volvo.

Let's be clear here. Like most truckmakers worldwide, Volvo purchases the Bosch DeNOxtronic SCR system (http://www.bosch-mobility-solutions.de/specials/de/abgasnachbehandlung/en/subpage/Denoxtronic_2.html).

And, Volvo (Mack) purchases their DPF from Eberspacher. So does Daimler (Freightliner, Western Star).

Eberspacher is extremely good (http://www.eberspaecher.com/en/exhaust-technology/commercial-vehicles.html).

So your accolades belong to Bosch and Eberspacher, rather than Volvo.

America's Tenneco is now supplying aftertreatment to Scania though, a diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC), diesel particulate filter (DPF) and selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system all packaged into a single module (Scania's core truck design philosophy is all about optimized design).

It's astounding that Volvo (Mack brand) trucks still do not use common rail fuel injection.

Got that loud and clear. Always good to hear from you. What would I/ we do without your always valuable info?

But I'm still not clear of some things.

First,we're talking about EPA 2007 and EPA 2010. This emission components might be designed and made by the same company but they don't look the same.

Volvo/Mack were and still are the only trucks to use a vertical DPF for 2007 and 2010. For 2007 emissions everybody else have used the under truck torpedo style DPF. I now that CAT had an in house design of their DPF wich from what I've heard back in 2008-2009 was a disappointment. I've heard really sad stories from owners of CAT equipped trucks like KW, PETERBILT, WESTERN STAR and FREIGHTLINER. Some guys even went broke, law suits etc. Cummins and Detroit ( Series 60 and DD15) were using that torpedo style of DPF wich was not that bad. They kind of look the same but I'm not sure if they were the same or made by the same company. Oh I forgot, they couldn't be the same cause Cummins has their on aftertreatment. All I new was that mine was running flawless and theirs not.

For 2010 we're still running the vertical DPF plus the separated SCR ( a unique setup) when Detroit has a completely different setup compared with what they had for 2007.

I got it, they're made by the same companies but they're different models or type of components. They don't look the same, they don't burn the same and they don't have the same reliability.

A friend with a Coronado had to change the whole emission box before he hit 500000km. Lucky him it was warranty. Another one just but the 600 hp 122 SD back in NOV and the truck is in the shop every other week with all kind of problems, engine and aftertreatment.

My truck? It has 711000km as right now and nothing has been done to the aftertreatment and I mean nothing not even the clean up they recommend at 400000 km. On my first 2008 I've put 750000km and nothing has been done to the DPF.

So clearly there's some differences here. Or not?

Look forward to your reply.

ALEX

Why not ask for a demo and form your own opinions rather than go by alot of hearsay or one time experiences? Nearly all dealers have them available, probably corporate too.

Good point, and well taken but when ever I come to a fork in the road so to speak I always ask if someone has traveled either of the roads and then of course we put er in gear and go!! I stopped at the dealership today he gave me the name of another bulk carrier who is running a new one for about 6 months, BUT I will as him for a demo!! Thanks, BULLHUSK

• Like 1

Bullhusk you need a nice Brockway 762 with a V12 in it Lol

I had a chance to bid on one last summer from a fire department but passed on it!! I don't really like the look of the 762 it just does not look right with that long nose!! I'm hopping for a 360U in my near future, I like the 300's better but I do like the 761's cool truck!

BULLHUSK

PS I do have a surprise commin up soon