Old school truck lettering

I Horan, Island and a few single trucks here on L.I. are still paint. There was a woman doing the striping, lettering and gold and silver leaf name Thea. She learned from her father. She stripped a few of my vehicles a few years ago. I went to a Rat Rod / Rock a Billy Show and there was a few stripers there. Seems thats the group preserving the art. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Mackdaddy, the gold leaf on the FWD has a clear vinyl overlay applied to it. You really have to look hard to see it. The old school way was to apply a clear finish which would have to be re-applied every few years, but the clear vinyl overlay is damn near indestructible.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

• 2 years later...
29 minutes ago, Tom Gardner said:

I've been lettering trucks in New England since 1973, lettering many fleets through the years.

Mr. Gardner, that is some fine looking paint work on that truck. Glad to see people like you keeping the craft going.

That's beautiful work! Most of that style lettering is found in New England and the east coast all of the refuse and construction fleets in New England,Jersey and New York seemed to have the gothic style gold leaf lettering at one time! Very classy!

My dad had a sign shop from 1948 to 1983. I learned how to freehand letter and pinstripe working with him. He did some of the best bomber nose art during WWII.

When he left the service in 46 he worked for Seagrave in Ohio gold leafing fire trucks till late 47. He was a pro with gold or silver leaf.   We lettered hundreds of

truck doors, his lay out was just chalk no tape and normally the customer wanted script. I remember a customer asking why we didn't follow the chalk lines in the

lay out-my dad replied the chalk is  only to make sure the spelling is correct before lettering.^_^ He passed away in 83 I lettered truck doors for a few more years then gave it up. 

Some damn fine lettering in those pics above.

Truck Shop  

One ping only