Need Opinion-2005 CHN 613

How about it guys. Have a young friend who thinks he is spending too much on outside trucking moving his equipment so he is thinking of getting a 35 ton trailer (His biggest piece is a 320 Cat). He is looking at an 05 CHN 613, 427, 10 spd, 14/44 axles, camelback, decent rubber (24.5) 341,000 miles, wet system (believe it was a low boy tractor)

As I see positives are, Under $40 grand, 14 front, camelback, low miles . 44 rear is probably keeping price down but IMO, that will work for him, No piss system. Is a 427 in 2005 an MP 7 or 8.

All opinions welcome.

Sounds like the perfect truck for a small operator really. the 14 steer is the heaviest you can get in a CH, the 44 rears are perfect for lowboy and dump work, the 427 is the highest torque rise spec and the rest.....well its a MACK,DUH!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The 05 CHN would be an aset AC427 engine so, external egr and variable geometry turbo, the aset AI engines were a little more reliable at first but after the updated parts are installed the AC engines are great performers, oh and I believe Rochester Fuel Injection has bigger injectors for em!, lol.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I would rather have a air ride truck for a detachable lowboy trailer.

Yes, there are some good points to air ride with a lowboy, but if he is moving track hoes and such the spring ride will shine once on location. I'm still coming to grips with camelback as this is my first non air ride truck since the farming days. The end dump I bought has the lame stick stands, not retractable geared legs, so no air dumps is a change. One major plus is, when I pull out from under it, the kingpins so high it's "unstealable"

• Like 1

I thought the CH's had the extra bump on the cam for egr and the cxn was different. Am I wrong, if so sorry, I looked at too many Macks over the last 8 weeks. I think whats left of my brain ran away. The 14 and 44 setup would be pretty nice as a move truck setup.

That 05 is a Mack engine ac 427 is a e7 with egr . the mp series didn't come out til 06 and only in set back axle granite and visions. Model yr 08 is when mp series became standard equipment. So yes the 03 is also s mack eng. The 03 could be a late etech non egr

That 05 is a Mack engine ac 427 is a e7 with egr . the mp series didn't come out til 06 and only in set back axle granite and visions. Model yr 08 is when mp series became standard equipment. So yes the 03 is also s mack eng. The 03 could be a late etech non egr

Ok thx-went on line and educated myself that the 12 L E7 has been around since 88. I also had someone tell me that in 05 there were a couple of changes made to 427 E7. Any clue as to what separates "good one" from the lesser version?

Awww, my 04 was good! Lol

Again guys thks for the opinions. And believe me, I have asked plenty of hard questions as to the economics. No 1 issue in my mind, as far as moving equipment, that is always something you can hire out. It is an associated cost of being in the civil construction business.

But compared to say an excavator, you might have a job where that machine is not going to be utilized say every day for a week but you might have a need every X hours or X days. You probably can't afford NOT having that machine on the job site.

Its all about utilization. He says looking at what he is paying to make moves on an annual basis, he can save money all things factored in.

I also suggested that as his heaviest piece is a 320 Cat, what about downsizing that (it has about 6000 hrs) to something smaller so he could get a 25 ton triaxle tag? He has a very nice R-688 that could handle it, but he views that as a backward step in terms of his ability to compete for higher yardage jobs.

For someone with an excavation company paying to haul equipment is gonna happen sooner or later. However when your not completely covered up and have time to move it with your own truck or need a piece moved asap being able to just load it up and move it is a big plus. Most of the people I know in that business have a truck and move their own stuff most of the time just because they can move it on their schedule not when the truck can get to it. Also if he buys a dump trailer he can not only use the truck to haul equipment but haul dirt and rock as well so in my mind its a huge asset to the company.

For someone with an excavation company paying to haul equipment is gonna happen sooner or later. However when your not completely covered up and have time to move it with your own truck or need a piece moved asap being able to just load it up and move it is a big plus. Most of the people I know in that business have a truck and move their own stuff most of the time just because they can move it on their schedule not when the truck can get to it. Also if he buys a dump trailer he can not only use the truck to haul equipment but haul dirt and rock as well so in my mind its a huge asset to the company.

Hear you Superdog on the dump issue. He is in tune with that as well.