Another B81 build

Can't wait to see progress ok this. Is the trans. a quad? Can you tell if there's any damage?

yes it's a dubble overdrive quad box. I had 2 friends of mine check the trans out, took off top cover and everything looks good. I got to run the mine box through the first 3 gears and it seemed fine.
  • Like 1

I remember seeing this one advertised for a few years. Gearharts or truck paper or somewhere. It was on a site that had some other heavy equipment as I recall. I'm glad it is getting some love. I'm still hoping to get some floor space under roof again so I can finish mine up...maybe 2015 will be the year.

I remember seeing this one advertised for a few years. Gearharts or truck paper or somewhere. It was on a site that had some other heavy equipment as I recall. I'm glad it is getting some love. I'm still hoping to get some floor space under roof again so I can finish mine up...maybe 2015 will be the year.

yes this is the truck from gearharts.
  • Like 1

I took a few more pictures today of some of the cracks and a busted bolt.The crack in the trans is more then just what I thought, it appears there is a whole piece that broke out and they fixed it with some epoxy that I thought was just a glob of grease. On the plus side all the gears look good in the main box and auxiliary.

The main bolt that goes through the rear leaf spring pack is rotten and broke, I was really hoping not to have to take the back end of the truck apart but it looks like there is no avoiding it.

If anyone has a b81 tractor or had one I need a official dry weight. Pennsylvania requires it on the title and the out of state title I have dose not show a weight. I had a b61 tandem axle,double frame and a paper under the seat said it was 10,500 so I can't imagine the b81 being much more then 20k.

post-11429-0-84887700-1420570598_thumb.j

post-11429-0-97484600-1420570631_thumb.j

post-11429-0-04987700-1420570664_thumb.j

post-11429-0-60370600-1420570693_thumb.j

yup, agree looks like a water push out. good welding shop can weld that right up with cast iron rod. I have seen a few Mack trans broke in this same spot actually. mine has about 15 pounds of brass on it. I ended up changing out the front case with a spare. glad to see you moving along on this gem and decided not to sell it.

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

yup, agree looks like a water push out. good welding shop can weld that right up with cast iron rod. I have seen a few Mack trans broke in this same spot actually. mine has about 15 pounds of brass on it. I ended up changing out the front case with a spare. glad to see you moving along on this gem and decided not to sell it.

a friend of mine is going to pin it
  • Like 1