Aluminum and steel rim combo

Glensts

So the truck that I am changing to Unimount hubs has 11/22.5 Rubber, but I would like to convert it to 24.5 now as then all my trucks and trailers would be the same. This trucks has a nice bull low gear so is there any reason

that I shouldn't do it? The difference is only 4% between the 44" diameter tires I run on my trucks to the 42 1/4 " diameter of the ones on there now.

This truck only pulls single trailer and not a B train as it runs a 350 Mack

Also is there any reason that I couldn't run steel rims on the inside? As long as it had that rubber piece to prevent corrosion.

I suppose you can would you run rubber in between ? I have no experience at this at all I thought it may flex a bit to much maybe a thin sheet of solid type of plastic but is it worth worrying about ????????

Whats the diff ratio ? would have to change the speedo doodah in the gear box

Paul

We can buy a thin black rubber circle with the holes already in it for in between rims. Our Aluminum rim trucks have them already between rims and and next to brake drum.

Being we don't put a lot of miles on the truck and it only upsets the speedo by about 3 mph it probably won't get changed.

It does 70 mph at 1800 rpm now.

• 1 month later...

I had issues with the inner steel wheel breaking until I installed the plastic insulator between.

Me too. even with the plastic ring. Perhaps it is because aluminum and steel flex at different rates. Anyway once my steel rims cracked i replaced them with aluminum on the inside. No problems after that.

Now you have me thinking?? (smell the smoke??) My 2014 Dodge Ram 3500 came from the factory with aluminum on the outside and steel inside rims.. Wonder if they put anything between them?? Guess I will have to pull a wheel and find out??

Brocky