belly dump hauling

thanx i appreciate the help.what im afraid of is spending too much on fuel and hauling less loads.will loose out on too much money.or really idk.i also looking at 05 mack chn613 13 speeds also.but wasnt sure if it was going to be that much of a difference in loss of money.its big decision for me.what do yall recommend and thanks again everyone

I would look for heaver rears and drive train components and 400-480 hp. with at least a rear locker, do you need this to belly dump....well no but, the heaver spec trucks generally stayed in the field longer. Also if you wanted in the future to dump truck you could set it up to quick change. just my thoughts.

• Like 1

my mack is a cx613 e7 460 with a Eaton fuller 13 and 3:70 rears i pull belly and side dumps with it and on 7 axles 96k gross. it does pretty good. its no 6 1/4 cat but its pretty easy on fuel and pulls decent, im pretty happy with it. my other truck with 350 hp didn't pull as well at 88k as this one does at 96k the 13 has a much lower 1st than the road ranger 9 in my other truck witch helps a lot as well. lockers are a big plus heavier rears are a big plus i don't see a need for double frames though for dump trailer work.

• Like 1

We've never ran anything heavier than a ch with 12f 40r and 4.11 gears. E7 350 and 9speed. Make.sure you have a low first gear. My one driver always laughed at guys that would always be in a hurry, they'd pass other guys or always be first in line. But at the end of the day everyone had the same hours in. We're paid by the hour with the clock starting the minute you get loaded. And with the macks we'd usually use about 10 gallons less fuel a day than everyone else. Also, the 380 you are looking at has as much torque as the 427's. If the right guy is driving it he will keep up with anyone. But I do stress, get a low first gear!

• Like 1

Funny how back in the 80's most guys pullin out a the Jersey pits into Long Island at night with well over 100,000 gross used R's with EM-6 300 6 speeds with 4.17 rears on 24.5 rubber (pullin some big hills like 280 in W-Orange 6% pluss and Jug Town on the 78 side) and they did it all day every day! I had the same spec. but pulled 80,000 and did OK, we did put the fuel to them cause you had to

BULLHUSK

• Like 2

(not to try to top any one) I have pulled many loads of concrete sand with 40 tons in the bucket of an old 33 ft fruehauf bath tub with 6 foot sides all at night from thornburg va to manasas va with an old 58 diamond T with a spiced up nhe 195 cummins and an R-96 roadranger was a little slow in places but it got the job done

• Like 1

If its got a 6 speed Allison that's a pretty damn good setup for dump work. As everyone else has said, you need a low first gear or a torque converter. I talked to someone on here that ran a dump trailer around chicago, had a granite with a 14,600# steer, 44,000# rears, 427 and an Allison 6 speed, said they loved and never had issues off road like the guys with the Pete's and kws.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"