Help with 2015 613 spec (Pinnacle)

bbigrig;Is the 13 OD a double OD?I talked to a Mack salesman up there that said you were getting better mpg with the 445C than the 445SE.Some fleets have told me that they're getting .5 better with the M-Drive.I need to test drive one to get better idea.Every one I talked to at truck stops down here loves the M-Drive.I'm running a 9200IH now with 13 double OD,3:55,ISX 525 hp,1850 in top gears.We are also looking at Freightliner.The Mack is several thousand cheaper which surprised me.Boss is trying to get a 4 year lease.Several fleets in central Iowa are running 445SE,M-Drive single OD and 2:64 rears.not sure on their mpg.I like your input.

bbigrig;Is the 13 OD a double OD?I talked to a Mack salesman up there that said you were getting better mpg with the 445C than the 445SE.Some fleets have told me that they're getting .5 better with the M-Drive.I need to test drive one to get better idea.Every one I talked to at truck stops down here loves the M-Drive.I'm running a 9200IH now with 13 double OD,3:55,ISX 525 hp,1850 in top gears.We are also looking at Freightliner.The Mack is several thousand cheaper which surprised me.Boss is trying to get a 4 year lease.Several fleets in central Iowa are running 445SE,M-Drive single OD and 2:64 rears.not sure on their mpg.I like your input.

Just heard from Tyson driver,truck is 445C,M-Drive OD,3:42 rears,8mpg

10-4 bbig, a lot of folks are going to 22.5's round here too. The 11r22.5 on an Alcoa wheel vs a low pro 24.5 on an alcoa is the same height 42" and the 24.5 is actually 2.6# lighter by the books,lol. I always liked the 42" tall tire but the shorter sidewall on the 24.5 seems more stable to me, just personal preference really. On the subject of the Eaton 13 speed being a double od, well its not what you think. The term double od came from way back when some mechanics did gear flips to trucks to get the top two gears to be od, creating a .73 8th and .62 9th, the hi-lo split on the side of the shifter is actuality an underdrive or deep reduction back box. When your in hi on the splitter the gear ratios are the same as the 9 speed used to make up the 13, when you split it to lo your actually putting that gear thru a real reduction. Back box the get a half gear step. The Eaton low is 12.44 I think and the od is .73, the mack is also 12 something but .71 od so a little higher on top, the mack 313/318LR have 16.42 lo and .71 od.

Let's try this again......how many gears (including splits) which are considered usable gears and are counted when describing the transmission to customers etc....are above a 1:1 gear ratio????? every gear counts when we are taking about fuel mileage and not every transmission has 2 usable steps/gears that are faster then 1:1 an FRO15210C is a fine example. "Double over" has become a sales term among dealers in most cases describing what you are buying.

Just heard from Tyson driver,truck is 445C,M-Drive OD,3:42 rears,8mpg

That is as close to an M-drive spec I would ever get. That is a good spec if you are that hell bent on an M-Drive. Me....Meh, and that goes for any Mack Highway transmission.

I have yet to give Mack's new axle a chance yet. I can't say if its good or bad yet. I've seen very few in highway use up here. Having heavy Meritor rears with lockers on one truck I can tell you they have a lot of drag on them. We had some gear quality issues with 200 series Mack carriers back in the early 2000's and never went back to them. The Mack dual reduction carrier does present more parasitic loss then a light Eaton,Spicer or Meritor would by design. All I can say for sure is that our trucks with Eatons have not had ANY issues to make us need to change to another product.

• Like 1

I can say I'm not happy with my Eaton fuller 18 SPD . poor quality sometimes it won't click into reverse and its noisy and grinds and slams when going into 18th gear . its the heaviest duty one too. All of our new trucks with Eaton's transmission are pretty noisy. Not like the older ones

If I remember correctly there is no longer a non automated 13 speed Fuller transmission that doesn't have a double overdrive (usually .86 first split and .73 final split) Second last hole in high split is 1:1 gearing. Sure the M-drive is great and if you guys are planning on leasing the trucks you won't have as much exposure to issues or costs related to an older or trade in value M-drive. Currently I am waiting till late 2016 before we purchase anything new from Mack. Late 2016 is the possible release of the new Cab and sleeper. SE is Super Econodyne which is only available with the M-Drive. Did you talk to my Salesman in Stoney Creek? He would probably steer you the same way I would.

Our Combo is running 1350RPM at 100km/h

Any info on what the new trucks are gonna be like?

I can say I'm not happy with my Eaton fuller 18 SPD . poor quality sometimes it won't click into reverse and its noisy and grinds and slams when going into 18th gear . its the heaviest duty one too. All of our new trucks with Eaton's transmission are pretty noisy. Not like the older ones

I cant speak for the highest torque rating Eatons. Don't have any. I know that the 1800 series I have have been slightly noisier then older ones but no issues on my 13's.

I still wouldn't buy a Mack trans. You could always pick up the latest M-Drive about to be dropped for the Granite in a few weeks.(Nahhhhhh) It suppose to be a heavier version. lol.

Any info on what the new trucks are gonna be like?

*disclaimer* I was told this by a Canadian Mack bigwig and with all large corporations, you shouldn't believe much until you see it.......

I've been told there wont be any huge changes to the width of the cab as large customers like UPS, ABF etc. have adopted this cab as there preferred size.

Not to big, not to small. He commented that some fleets find Volvo's cab too big as an example.

I was told you will finally see the roof portion of the cab removed on a highrise sleeper. The interior of the sleeper will be changed as well as body lines to better cover the trailers front end. (instead of adding ugly fairing add ons like the current highrise sleeper.

That was less then a year ago I was told this but you never know, he could have only been in on early design changes. There could be more since then..

• Like 1

*disclaimer* I was told this by a Canadian Mack bigwig and with all large corporations, you shouldn't believe much until you see it.......

I've been told there wont be any huge changes to the width of the cab as large customers like UPS, ABF etc. have adopted this cab as there preferred size.

Not to big, not to small. He commented that some fleets find Volvo's cab too big as an example.

I was told you will finally see the roof portion of the cab removed on a highrise sleeper. The interior of the sleeper will be changed as well as body lines to better cover the trailers front end. (instead of adding ugly fairing add ons like the current highrise sleeper.

That was less then a year ago I was told this but you never know, he could have only been in on early design changes. There could be more since then..

Thanks for the info. I tried finding anything about it on the Internet, but came up with nothing. I figured it should be up for a redesign soon since the basic cab has been around since '89 or '90.

I was told by a really trusty source that the new Mack cab will be based on the existing Volvo cab.

Volvo wants to save money so one cab for all.

This will have to happen sooner than later as the tooling for the Mack cab is in really poor conditions and they have to produce replacement parts for the next 10 years.

The way I see this is like this:

They will have the same identical cab with probably the same dashboard and steering wheel with Mack logo of course.

Mack will design a different sleeper around it and of course a different hood.

Look at Pete 579 and KW t680; same cab and different sleepers.

O and let's not forget about Pete387 and KW t 2000 back in the '90s who started all this.

Big companies look to save money so Volvo in our case will not spend millions to design o completely new cab for Mack.

It just doesn't make sense when they can do some tricks and get the job done

I was told by a really trusty source that the new Mack cab will be based on the existing Volvo cab.

Volvo wants to save money so one cab for all.

This will have to happen sooner than later as the tooling for the Mack cab is in really poor conditions and they have to produce replacement parts for the next 10 years.

The way I see this is like this:

They will have the same identical cab with probably the same dashboard and steering wheel with Mack logo of course.

Mack will design a different sleeper around it and of course a different hood.

Look at Pete 579 and KW t680; same cab and different sleepers.

O and let's not forget about Pete387 and KW t 2000 back in the '90s who started all this.

Big companies look to save money so Volvo in our case will not spend millions to design o completely new cab for Mack.

It just doesn't make sense when they can do some tricks and get the job done

That is gonna really suck!!!!!

That might make me switch to the dark side. And then I can get a glider.

If they do really just use a Volvo cab that will be the end of mack . I personally don't see them doing it . they just updated the ch cab in 08/ made it deeper and a new dash. If they were gonna just switch to Volvo cab they would of done it then . vocational customers don't like the huge cabs so it would be a huge mistake to switch to a Volvo cab without narrowing it a little and changing the look of it . but who knows . people have been saying the Volvo cab is coming for 10 yes now . still hasn't happened.

• Like 1

If they do really just use a Volvo cab that will be the end of mack . I personally don't see them doing it . they just updated the ch cab in 08/ made it deeper and a new dash. If they were gonna just switch to Volvo cab they would of done it then . vocational customers don't like the huge cabs so it would be a huge mistake to switch to a Volvo cab without narrowing it a little and changing the look of it . but who knows . people have been saying the Volvo cab is coming for 10 yes now . still hasn't happened.

In 2008 they were forced to modify the cab because of the MP engine wich is longer than the ASET engine.

That was not really an update it was something that they HAD to do in order for them to accommodate the new engine.

Instead of redesigning the hood they just pushed the engine back into the cab. An update is when you improve something, this was basically a reengineering of the cab.

Because of this they had to redesign the dashboard. On the old setup the heater was just behind the engine in the cab but on the new setup they had to move it on the pass side due to the length of the MP engine.

So all the modifications were basically dictated by the new engine dimensions not because Mack had some money to spend.

Just look at the regular Mack CH and Mack CL

They didn't modified the cab but they designd a longer hood to accommodate the longer Cummins engine.

Mack truck wasn't engineered to receive big engines like most of the other trucks because they didn't offer other engines in the last 15-20 years or more.

The CH was and still is a medium nose truck so if you want to drop a big engine in you either redesign the hood or you push the engine inside in our case.

I guess will have to wait and see what will happen

I'm as curious as everyone here

• Like 1

If they use a Volvo cab I'll buy kW if I get a new one, that'll be the end of Mack for me

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I'd buy a W900, I can't really stand the new wide cabs on most makers trucks, took me a long time to come around to the CH cab.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I'd buy a W900, I can't really stand the new wide cabs on most makers trucks, took me a long time to come around to the CH cab.