•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1960 B73 With Timken Worm Drive?

• Please log in to reply
    6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   b61fred

b61fred

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 463 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:b61st
    • Year:1963

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:11 PM

Hi,
    I have got my new prize home and started scrapeing off the greese and crud and finding numbers on the engine, trans, and axles. The engine is a NH220L cummins, the trans is a 15 speed triplex, the front axle is a 9500# with no brakes, any ways the rear tandem is not Mack it is a timken worm drive with power divider, 7.45 : 1 ratio, Is this factory?? it looks like it belongs there and also it needs some work on the bushings and rods that center it in the truck, where do you get such parts?? I never seen a old mack with anyting other than a mack rear. I have sent in to the museum for the info but that will take some time to here back from them. the truck was from montana, It has a jake brake and a exhaust brake, Let me know what you think
    Fred
    [QUOTE]15 gears...no waiting!

#2 OFFLINE   Lmackattack

Lmackattack

RS700L

• BMT Benefactor
    • 3,102 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:RS700L / B613LST
    • Year:RS 1977 / B 1965

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:26 PM

tell us all about the trip !!! and where are all those pics? Hope you got some for us

never seen those rears in a mack?? seen rockwells befor but it was rare.
    hope everything is good :thumb:

trent

#3 OFFLINE   Barry

Barry

Are you talkin' to me?

• Admin
    • 2,399 posts
    Contributor

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:41 PM

:ttiwwop:

I think we def. need some pics of that bad boy!

Posted Image
    Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

#4 OFFLINE   bulldog man

bulldog man

Ya I was Naned After A B-Model Mack lol

• BMT Benefactor
    • 1,152 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:24 PM

ditto on what Barry said: need some pics pics pics :D

& congrats on your prize find :)

later

Mack

Old Dog Is alive & doing well w/ new owner right here in the Millington,Tn Area !!! Thank you Lord for sending a fellow Mack Man to rescue my name sake & pride & joy Old Dog from the scrap yard in Memphis!! hopfully he will running again soon.

#5 OFFLINE   rsmartyn

rsmartyn

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • 157 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:B61T, DM686SX
    • Year:1961, 1979

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:54 PM

Hi,
    I have got my new prize home and started scrapeing off the greese and crud and finding numbers on the engine, trans, and axles. The engine is a NH220L cummins, the trans is a 15 speed triplex, the front axle is a 9500# with no brakes, any ways the rear tandem is not Mack it is a timken worm drive with power divider, 7.45 : 1 ratio, Is this factory?? it looks like it belongs there and also it needs some work on the bushings and rods that center it in the truck, where do you get such parts?? I never seen a old mack with anyting other than a mack rear. I have sent in to the museum for the info but that will take some time to here back from them. the truck was from montana, It has a jake brake and a exhaust brake, Let me know what you think
    Fred

Hi Fred, This is an old post so you've probably gotten the info from the archive folks by now. It's quite possible that Timken worm drive is original especially with a Cummins. My B61T has an Eaton 40,000# split rear, the only one like it according to the archive folks so it seems that back then whatever the customer wanted, he got no matter how weird it was. And some pictures would be nice. Bob
    Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

#6 OFFLINE   b61fred

b61fred

BMT Veteran VIP

• Bulldog
    • 463 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:b61st
    • Year:1963

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:35 PM

[attachment=710:attachment]Hi,
    Here is the rest of the story.... My truck has been cut in two and another truck welded onto it, It originaly had a page and page suspension with mack rears 5.03 ratio. Here are some pictures of whats in it now, I have recently figured out how to shrink pictures to put them into posts.
    Fred

more axle pictures

[attachment=711:attachment]more axle pictures
    [QUOTE]15 gears...no waiting!

#7 OFFLINE   truxnut

truxnut

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 71 posts
    • Make: Autocar
    • Model:C70T
    • Year:47

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:15 PM

Well first those are NOT worms [SQW] rather SQDD double reduction. SQW's never had a power divider which is why with those it was very inportant that all 8 tires were closely matched as to highth. Mack used a Timken double reduction tandem set that said Mack on them, think they were SLDDs 34,000 lb ers.
    John Evans,
    Trucks & Dogs are expensive!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users