adding a pusher to my new mack

Ezrider

part of my reason for getting a new truck was wanting a tri-axle the truck that i bought did not already have one but has plenty of room. I have a little time at the moment and i was checking pricing at a few places on pusher axle's when i stopped at one place that they say we got a used one sitting out back $1000 its all yours. so i go look it over. seems pretty decent, its a heavier style than i was really looking for but i figured at saving nearly 4k over a new one for one that was two years old pulled off a wreck and everything seems good and tight on it with good breaks complete drum to drum, steerable air up down. so i bought it.

not sure if i will have any questions or not so far all i have done is got the pusher to the shop got it unloaded and slid it under the truck. so far the biggest issue i see is going to be re-mounting the exhaust after installing the pusher. the stack bracket is going to be in kinda a bad place ill have to figure that out. tomorrow I'm going to try to get everything off the truck that's going to be in the way get the pusher up on the frame and go from there.

2014-11-25175749_zps5cfebf64.jpg

2014-11-25175731_zpsdd59cc48.jpg

yup im going to install it on 4' center its actually sitting a bit forward of that in the picture. the 1/4 fenders make it look like its sitting back further. at 4' spacing ill get 42 on the group 3 axels 8'-c from rear drive axle to the pusher. same spacing as on my trailer, but my outer bridge will be 92k

got some progress made its going a lot slower than i expected.

i knew exhaust fitmit was going to be a issue and that took up a big part of today, i thought i had it worked out by moving the mount back 4 inches to be able to bolt it up, once i got it back on i realized i had even more fitmit issues the tire was going to hit the exhaust. i had to make a new exhaust stand to move the stack inboard so everything would clear.

2014-11-28125147_zps794a95f6.jpg

2014-11-28152149_zps712a077c.jpg

2014-11-28172434_zpsde007e38.jpg

2014-11-28174618_zps6bdfcf31.jpg

yesterday i got the last of the hardware is installed, got my control valve and started plumbing everything

control valve is real nice built in regulator set up to auto lift for reverse. came with some quick release valves ect. still have to Finnish installing the valve

2014-11-29161323_zpsc88c2407.jpg

2014-11-29161535_zps2d5c5509.jpg

i told myself to take the day off today but i didn't listen

finished plumbing the air bags and installing the control box under the bunk and did a little painting, getting close to being done, have to run the break lines rims tires and wire the switch into the dash and Finnish welding in the bracket for the cross brace for the exhaust where i ran out of wire and it will be done. I picked up some welding wire today to Finnish welding that up but i guess i thought i was running .35 wire where i was running .30 and didn't have any .35 contact tips so ill have to pickup some .30 wire or some .35 contact tips tomorrow.

2014-11-30154124_zps9a6a4c15.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good, get us some pics of the whole truck when you get the tires on it.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Well done.....and i 100% agree...small and warm is better that outside this time of year.....wife asks all the time why I make space in the garage to work on the car.....it's not heated but it's still warmer than outside....If it's really cold, I'll get the kerosene heater out! :)

• Like 1

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

yes small and warm is much better than outside and cold...lol i would even take inside and cold over outside and cold. i did the no shop thing for several years doing all my repairs outside in the elements. rain snow sleet ect. some day i plan to build a nice shop with pull threw bays large enough to park a few trucks and trailers inside at the same time probably a small area the size of a 4 car garage for project cars. it wont be any time soon but a guy can dream right.

• Like 2

Nice, a small shop is better than my shop......which is no shop,lol. I have been told by every single person I know that has built a shop, both residential and commercial to figure up what I need and add 20'. I have never heard anybody say they built it big enough, they all say "I wish it was bigger". Their wives say that too!lol

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

i rent this shop. it was the only one that i could find that would work for me had plenty of outdoor parking water floor drains heat insulation 110-220 power that only cost a arm rather than a arm and a leg. they were still building it back when i agreed to rent it. i had the opportunity to have them set it up how i wanted the biggest problem is i told them i wanted a bathroom. well i didn't know they were going to biuld a massive bathroom bigger than the master bath in my house on the same side of the shop as a roll up door. all i wanted was a bathroom the size of a closet with a toilet and a sink. so now is a serious pain in the butt to get a trailer inside in a way that i can unhook the truck and then be able to close the door.

did a bunch of busting tires today. I had 8 11r24.5's on steel rims that i wanted to run on this truck but this truck has alum inner and outer rims so i didn't want to put the steel rims on it. so i broke down 16 tires and re-mounted 8. after i did that i went and cat scaled the tractor. after adding the pusher and tall rubber, with me and all my junk inside and 1/2 tanks of fuel. the tractor came in at 19,300. so i added just shy of 2000 lbs to the truck about 1,800lbs +/- some difference in fuel weight. don't remember how much fuel i had on when i last scaled this truck bobtail. all in all i don't think 20k for a tri axle truck with a wet kit is too bad.

2014-12-03151944_zps01afcdea.jpg

• Like 1

Not bad at all, my tandem RW weighs just over 19k and no wet kit......I do have an E9, double frame and 44,000 Mack camelback rears though.