Finally did it. I now own a Mack.

In this cell phone pic, you can see what's under the floor board. You can see the base of the shift levers and the new boot I'm going to make will go around them and screw into the floor board. You can see the two shiny pistons that move in and out as you shift. They were buried and encased in inches of greasy, oily grime that I had to dig out with a screwdriver. Undoubtedly this crud made shifting more difficult. Now the pistons are free. You can also see the new air line we installed just above (toward the driver's door) those two pistons.

post-18831-0-64226500-1418254936_thumb.j

• Like 1

Love this thread... Mostly because I've got a totally restored B model and with a third child on the way it reminds me that I don't have any time for projects like this..... I'm living vicariously through you!!!!

You're in good company. I bought my B restored but its eventual brother(s) won't be. This thread is a great way to learn as it happens! Now, Is it actually a child on the way or another Mack you're bringing home in the dead of night, hoping it will blend in with the back yard? B) Congratulations either way!

You're in good company. I bought my B restored but its eventual brother(s) won't be. This thread is a great way to learn as it happens! Now, Is it actually a child on the way or another Mack you're bringing home in the dead of night, hoping it will blend in with the back yard? B) Congratulations either way!

Nope... Not a Mack Jr..... But a baby girl. Sometime in February. Something fresh for her two older brothers to torture!!!

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

General Ike good luck on the babe ! Angelo

Thank you Angelo. Next time I'm back visiting family I'll have to find out when you're working so I can visit. I used to work in Rye for Mario Gabelli and have a fondness for so many Port Chester, Rye, Mamaroneck, and Larchmont food joints. I'll bring take out!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

We'll be working on the sheet metal and paint at some point. I still have to address the power steering and there's another air line that needs to be replaced (right front). That rear brake pin also has to be addressed.

The first thing to be painted will be the bumper and push plate (they will be black). Perhaps in the next couple weeks we can pull the bumper off and straighten it out so we can spray it.

BTW, I priced out genuine Mack paint at the nearest dealer. The original green found on this truck is still available, but I prefer the modern green Mack paint because it's a little lighter and brighter. Unfortunately, I was told it was only sold by the case (four gallons) and at over $100 per gallon, I don't want to have to pay for two (or maybe three) gallons I don't need. The original green is less than $80 per gallon and is available by the gallon. Grrrrrr.

Edited by Wobblin-Goblin