Volvo Vhd64 compared to Mack.

Does anyone know any thing about 2006 VOLVO VHD64 Dump Truck the set up is VED12 Volvo 465 HP, 8LL, Jake, 4.56 Ratio, Hendrickson Walking Beam, Double Frame, 20K FA, 46K RA, 3 Steerable 13K L/A, Air Tailgate, 90 Gallon Aluminum Fuel Tank, 302" WB, 27'6" Bridge, 425/65R22.5 Steer Tires on Aluminum Wheels, 11R24.5 Drive Tires on Steel Wheels, Chrome Bumper, P/S, A/C, AM/FM CD, Heated Mirrors, Cruise, Diff Lock, Air Ride Cab, Power Passenger Window!

All I've ever owned was Macks. I'm trying to find out if Volvos are dependable piece of equipment.

Are you asking so you know how to destroy one, or to talk a friend out of it?

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The parts managers motto at the local MACK /VOLVO Dealer is "It's a long way to Sweden , if it's a part you be needen" pretty much says it all. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'll be honest...I didn't know anybody but Mack built a dump truck!(camelback)

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I'm assuming Gabrielli? That don't say much for that company.

I am afraid I have an extremely poor opinion of the one in Medford. They push PAACAR products and HINO over MACK. Dog Parts are always at the other location if they even can find it and if they know you run older units tend to get an attitude that if it's not in the computer or you can't give the the new P.N. they won't waste their time. Not like Mineola MACK whom the bought out. Guess thats why most around went over to the dark side. Me I now deal with Watts or Raney's in Florida. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I am afraid I have an extremely poor opinion of the one in Medford. They push PAACAR products and HINO over MACK. Dog Parts are always at the other location if they even can find it and if they know you run older units tend to get an attitude that if it's not in the computer or you can't give the the new P.N. they won't waste their time. Not like Mineola MACK whom the bought out. Guess thats why most around went over to the dark side. Me I now deal with Watts or Raney's in Florida. Paul

They bought up all the mack dealers in CT. Their employees are hopeless without the vin. Hartford has 2 guys that know the old trucks and only need a description. Bought a new truck from them in '01 and they never wanted to fix anything right. Needless to say we only deal with Springfield(Ballard) or Courvilles Garage in montville that is a mack parts dealer. The parts guys there don't care what it is theyll spend time looking all over for parts and both are a lot cheaper then gabrielli
  • Like 2

Matt

There is a guy here in Jersey must have over 30 Volvo VHD triaxle dumps he has been running them since 2002 and keeps buying new ones his trucks run day and night so I guess they are good enough for him they must be good. I bought a new one in 2007 fully loaded VHD dump truck came with air bags in the cab radio controls on the steering wheel the cab was huge with plenty of storage I had a bench passenger seat which was nice to take a nap while working nights the truck was good, very comfortable and economical I had a 465 hp with a 13 spd in it IF i was an owner operator with one truck I would of kept it but since I had a few macks at the time I sold after a year to get another mack to keep the fleet the same

• Like 1

I think many on here hate the vhd because its a volvo (and no-one likes what volvo has done to Mack), but i am not convinced it is a bad truck. The truck the OP mentions seams to be speced right for the job. Is there a real business reason he shouldn't buy it besides "volvos suck." There is an owner operator around here that has been driving the same one since around 02. Of course it has no soul but it is still on the road.

The Volvo seems to be either you love them or hate them. I for one think they are one of the ugliest trucks built. I Know a local company had a motor they kept as a spare but never needed. Others seem to blow up a lot. A company that ran all marks went to Volvo and I see now the switched back to the macks. I would personally go with a old mechanical mack. If it breaks down at least you can fix it on the side of the road. Once electronics are involved you gotta go to the dealer and they want $$$$ to look and see what's the problem.

Matt

. I would personally go with a old mechanical mack. If it breaks down at least you can fix it on the side of the road. Once electronics are involved you gotta go to the dealer and they want $$$$ to look and see what's the problem.

I agree i think that my 96 rd mechanical e7 was probably the best dump truck ever. However many guys/ companies are afraid of older trucks, and when comparing these newer units if the volvos are blowing up i can't see why macks would be any different they have the same basic engines

Company in west tn Eubank Paving has 20-30 of em, trades em in blocks of 5-10 every few years and always goes back to Volvo. There are very few other companies here that run volvos, several had one or two but all have gone back to kW, freightliner or mack.

• Like 1

I was working hotrocks with a couple of Volvo Triaxles today. The one I was looking at was a tri-axle with a heavy single frame. I counted 150 bolts on each side just for mounting third axle air ride tandem and crossmembers. I am not a mechanic or engineer but I would think a bit excessive. With all those bolt holes I was wondering if frame was compromised. This is all factory no afhermarket parts. Thanks Joe D.