Info needed on V-8 864

I know it sold cheap out west,guy was only asking 3 or 3500,I missed it by a day.When I talked to the guy,it hadn't been started for many years,and they were going to try starting it and he said he'd call me back,which he did to tell me it was sold.

As far as your questions,the 864 ran from '63 or '64 to '70 when the 865 started. I've never seen a 864 with a Jake,but the made a Dynatard for the 865 and 866,might have made Jakes too,but only seen Dynatards. The pump was different,they might share a few parts,but mostly only shared the same displacement,there were improvements to the block with the 865 and 866.

Very nice truck,good to see you end up with it and not have it end up overseas.With that wheelbase a Mercury bunk sure would set it off.

• Like 1

Mike,

Some of the later 864's used the American Bosch APE multiple plunger pumps like the 865's and 866's.

Much better pump than the PSJ's and PSM's

We had a naturally aspirated 864 with that pump that was rated at 270 H.P. rather than the normal 255 H.P. rating.

That motor is in the "F" model Mike Yarnall has.

Ron

• Like 1

I'm thinking Kevin Black from ATHS was there when the guy fired it up for the first time? Seems I recall him posting the vid on ATHS forums years ago. Maybe he just found it and posted it? Kinda fuzzy with the details.

Looks like a pretty decent truck. Would love to have it, but no place to park it and the old V8 would be a kink if anything happen to it when I travel alot.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

That's the same truck from out west in WA. A friend got it from Dennis and I got it for a "song and a dance". I believe Dennis got it around the beginning of the year. Truck runs and drive good. He is the one that told me they made a Jake for it, but I wasn't sure. Time to look for spare motors for parts. He believe only 456 B755's were made. I wonder how many are still around. This one is naturally aspirated but Dennis said they came also with a single turbo and a twin turbo also. Any truth to that?

• Like 1

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

456 is correct on the build # . I have a twin turbo one in the barn,there are a very few of those around,Mackdaddy has the finest restored example in my book,but I've never seen or heard of a single turbo 864, and I'm certain they were never offered in the B models,only the natural aspirated ones. Otherwise by Mack's system,there would have been a B7553( extra 5 for V8,3 for turbocharged).

• Like 1

I'm with Mike,

I don't think they ever made a single turbo 864, only twin turbo's.

We had one in an "F" model.

F-719T 1093 built in 1967.

You can better believe this one didn't have an APE pump on it.

All the ENDT864's had PSJ or PSM pumps on them, they're the only ones that would fit with where the turbo's were mounted.

Ron

• Like 1

I have 3 of the B755's all with the L cab. I have never seen a B7553 but there must of been a few. And yes they would have been a twin turbo. Most interesting to me is that they built the 864 which should have been considered an experimental engine, through 1972! Begs to ask why? and who for? Both the 865 and 866 were in production then! I attached a word doc on the production and years.

Mack V8 Diesel Engines.doc

post-198-0-62804800-1413512784_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

displacement was the same,it was how they were set up,the 865 was a Maxidyne engine,engineered to be used with a 5 or 6 speed,with an operating range of 1200 to 2400 rpm ,they had 2 versions I know of for sure,most common was the 325 hp one and there was a derated 285 hp one,also

The 866 was designed as a Thermodyne engine,for use with transmissions having 10 or more gears,mostly paired withe the TRDL1070 Mack 10 speed and the TRTXL1070 12 speed Mack.Operating range was 1500 to 2300 rpm as I recall . Also offered in at least 2 versions I can remember,a 350 hp and most common was the 375 hp one.

• Like 2