What hub is this?

I've always went to Speedway Motors and bought a set of Baby Moon hub caps. I set them upside down and level put a ball from a bearing and give it a rap to mark the center. Drill a 3/8 hole and Chrome Acorn nut to bolt it on to the 3/8 bolt and a stop nut that you have welded to the center of the hub. Course someone here may have an easier way to do it. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I've always went to Speedway Motors and bought a set of Baby Moon hub caps. I set them upside down and level put a ball from a bearing and give it a rap to mark the center. Drill a 3/8 hole and Chrome Acorn nut to bolt it on to the 3/8 bolt and a stop nut that you have welded to the center of the hub. Course someone here may have an easier way to do it. Paul

I have one already installed on my lift axle and it has three "brackets" that fit behind the bolts of the axle shaft and then the baby moon cap snaps over those brackets. Those are the kind I want. It's a company truck so I can't do any drilling or welding :/

That's half of the plan. I thought the baby moon hub caps would really set it off but I'm having a hard time finding anything for those style axle shafts. What are they even called?

They're double-spline axles.

Pretty sure they made 44K rears with both welded axle and double-splined axles.

Those having 6 bolts, instead of 8, would suggest lighter than 44K...I do believe.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I can't find the document I had which gave the axle ratings for the old axle numbers. Sorry. Pretty sure I looked mine up somewhere (possibly a Euclid chart?), and it said 44s. Could be wrong, though, since I can't find the blasted thing.

My springs are light. Probably 34s or 38s. So, they COULD be 38s. I just plain can't remember.

They are SWDL-751s, if anybody has the numbers. Should be same rating as more common SWD-75.

And, yes, these are 5-spoke wheels. That might also point to 38s...

• Like 1

I always thought it would be neat to send the cones out for chroming. bet it would be pricey though.

Ive seen it done. Looked nice.

I can't find the document I had which gave the axle ratings for the old axle numbers. Sorry. Pretty sure I looked mine up somewhere (possibly a Euclid chart?), and it said 44s. Could be wrong, though, since I can't find the blasted thing.

My springs are light. Probably 34s or 38s. So, they COULD be 38s. I just plain can't remember.

They are SWDL-751s, if anybody has the numbers. Should be same rating as more common SWD-75.

And, yes, these are 5-spoke wheels. That might also point to 38s...

Definitely sounds like 38s or lighter. Do you have the paperwork from Mack Museum? That should state the rating.

Matt

Ive seen it done. Looked nice.

Definitely sounds like 38s or lighter.Do you have the paperwork from Mack Museum? That should state the rating.

Looking at it right now. The problem is that Mack had more SPRING ratings than they had AXLE ratings. Like I said, the springs are light. In fact, the build sheet only shows 32K on the rears, as well as on the trailer, as that was the legal max on tandems in 1970.

Somewhere I had located the actual axle ratings, which were higher than the springs. I think I may have found it by looking at bearings. It is actually the bearings which limit the load you can put on an axle, anyway.

I just can't freakin' find that blasted sheet. I think I'm finished for the night!

I have one already installed on my lift axle and it has three "brackets" that fit behind the bolts of the axle shaft and then the baby moon cap snaps over those brackets. Those are the kind I want. It's a company truck so I can't do any drilling or welding :/

That's how the fire truck Baby moon caps are mounted, but they most all run the single spline axles and not the double spline like you have. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE