94' CAT 320 Excavator, engine sputters under full load

MorrisExcavation

I have a 94' CAT 320 excavator with 6600 hrs. Here recently the engine has started to sputter when at full rpm and under load. It is smooth when running full rpm and just sitting or even a light load. When you are digging heavy and pulling in a full bucket it sound as if it bounces back and forth 100 rpm or so and puffs a little black smoke with every change in rpm. I have changed the fuel filter but no improvement. Does anybody have any ideas where I should check next? Thanks

does this have the 3116 or 3126 engine? if so the fuel system is set up like a 2 stroke Detroit with a injector rack, I've had problems with a 936 loader doing this and it was wear in the linkage under the valve cover and the link between the rack and pump. Unlike a Detroit, a cat dealer has the special jig tool to set the injectors.

I'm pretty sure it has a 3066 engine, i just got it this summer so I don't know of any injector or pump work in the past. It is finishing a barn demo job today and when I get it home I was planning on trying to clean out the lines then have the injectors tested if that doesn't help. I may also drain the tank to make sure I have good clean fuel in it. I had a little issue with water in my storage tank a couple months ago, I have a 300 gal skid tank at my house and the sight gauge was cracked and let some water in. I thought I had run enough through but it may still be showing up. I have a deere dozer running the same fuel and it's not had any trouble. I have drained the water separator on the excavator a couple times and it did not show water but I'd rather drain the tank and start over to know its clean.