What's it worth?

joemac

1958 Mack C-85, 750/500, 707C gas, Spicer w/two-speed rear, updated in the mid-sixties with power steering, in OK condition.

Runs, but has at least a couple of as of yet, unknown leaks and has a stalling problem.

Shows 40,xxx miles on a generic 80mph speedo.

Looks to me like it will need tires. The rear step was somehow bent and then somewhat straightened (attempt at lifting with forklift?)

It has a broken cable in the dash- "T" handle just dangling.

Most of the paint appears to be original, with the nose and part of the cab/doors having been repainted.

For some reason, there is what looks like a strip of stainless steel slipped under the rubber between the windshield halves. My guess is that it's covering rust.

Truck is complete with twin boosters, pair of hard sleeves and aluminum ladders. If I remember correctly, they're 35 foot ground and 14 foot roof.

I know it's impossible to give an accurate evaluation without actually seeing it, but I'd like to have some idea of what it's currently worth. The guy who owns it has absolutely no idea. He said he'll research it and let me know.

I want this truck, but I'm not willing to pay too much for it, just because it holds a certain sentimental value to me.

post-17092-0-89531900-1409146756_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yes. He agreed to a barter arrangement, where I helped him get two L models ready for paint in exchange for the C. Then he ignored my voice messages. Then he denied making the arrangement. That was in April. I talked to him the other day about buying the C, outright. He said he would research it and get back to me.

I have a rough idea of what it's currently worth, but I wanted some other opinions.

I'm going into this with my eyes open, prepared for him to either want too much, or to make a deal and then back out of it.

I'm even prepared to never hear from him again.

• Like 1

I agree with Mike on the price.

Just for your own info. The stalling and bad running you can most likely blame on the E10 gasoline. Shelf life of 1 1/2 to 2 months, it actually starts to degrade at the refinery! Real gas was good for 2 to 4 years. The new E10 gas is hydroscopic. . .it absorbs moisture. It also degrades the aluminum and Zinc/pot metal in the fuel pumps and carburetors. It reacts with the rubber fuel hoses, carb and fuel pump diaphrams so they either leak or collapse. There are kits with Viton seals, diaphrams and hoses that work with the new fuels. Also Bell Performance makes a Ethanol compatible fuel stabilizer for gas vehicles and tools that sit idle for long periods. Good Luck Paul

Several stations in my area of Florida are selling R90 gasoline which is essentially 90 octane ethanol free intended for marine or small off road engine use. There is a website that lists all the ethanol free stations in the US and Canada as well.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

I'm well aware of the problems caused by the evil ethanol and I believe the current owner is, also.

The last time i talked to him, I was suggesting that the fuel system be cleaned and checked, as well as the addition of some fresh fuel with stabilizer. He said he had a guy helping him and they had already done that, as well as replacing fuel lines.

I'm not saying that they've eliminated it as the source of the stalling, but at least I think we can rule out bad gas.

I'm just going to hope I hear back from the current owner and he has reasonable expectations, like somewhere around $2500, which is what I think it's worth.

I sure hope you get to save it.

From your past experiences with him, I would take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Paul

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I hope things go well with the truck. I am going away for a week and have been working extra before hand and will be working extra when I get back to make up for it so not much chance I could go to see the truck for the next 3-4 weeks. Maybe I could go one evening in two weeks, but I am not sure right now. Good luck. Mike

Joemac if you want me to go down there with you one day to take a peek let me know. My schedule is kinda limited though, would need at LEAST a week's notice and even then no guarantees. I agree with everyone else- 2500-4000 tops, depending on condition.

By the way did I hear a rumor the other day that it's currently sitting outside at Rob's Towing?

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Well, Yardo, I wouldn't know about that.

I might just take you up on going out to see the truck, if he hasn't sold it, yet.

I would think that, knowing how much that thing means to me, he would contact me when he's decided to sell. He would be more likely to get more from someone who really wants it. And I want it.

I just got back from picking up the original Federal Beacon model 17 from that truck.

I was fortunate enough to get it for free. The guys in Barto still had it in a box, collecting dust.

I bought him a case of his favorite brew and we traded boxes. Got a couple of phone numbers and email addies of someone from Barto to talk to about the old girl.

Whether I end up with the truck or not, I've got the light. Hooked it up to see what it would do- it works just fine! Now I'm spending some quality time with some polish on it.

Here is the original model 17 beacon from the '58 C (see avatar), after some cleaning and polishing.

At least I have it as a souvenir.

I called the current owner this afternoon. He answered, informed me he was busy with his kids and would call me back.

He didn't. Big surprise.

I had a lengthy chat with the former Barto chief, who was very accommodating.

We'll be getting together soon to swap stories, info and photos over a couple of brews.

I called Rob's Towing. Receptionist couldn't tell me if it was there or not, suggested I call back in the morning.

post-17092-0-22787700-1410146306_thumb.j

The light looks fantastic. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE