Ouch...

RowdyRebel

Driving down the road & heard a "pop"...thought I saw some debris fly up from the catwalk out of the corner of my eye, so I slowed down and was trying to make it to a gravel pull-off a little ways away...still had power, just didn't want to use too much of it until I could see what was going on. Still had oil pressure and I wasn't losing any fluids, but when I poked my head out the back window and looked down, I could see the shaft wasn't turning as smooth as it should have been, so I slowed down even more hoping it would hold together. Came up about a mile short before it grenaded completely. First u-joint on the drive shaft...transmission yolk. Luckily, the carrier bearing caught it so it didn't hit the ground and cause significant collateral damage, but it still took it's toll on the truck. Ruptured the fuel return line (fuel quit leaking when I shut off the truck) and broke an air fitting from the air dryer. It also ripped the electrical wiring from the back of the socket at the back of the cab (where the truck end of the pigtail plugs into), so I get to rewire that. A new carrier bearing, a few new u-joints (going to change the other 2 now as well) and probably a new yolk for the front of that first section of drive shaft.

Fun.

Set 1/2 in the grass and 1/2 in the road on a 2-lane for about 2 hours waiting on the wrecker to show up...had the truck prepped & ready long before they got there, though. When I'm paying 'em by the hour, I just can't see sitting on my hands for 2 hours waiting for them to arrive and then watch them work for 20-30 minutes doing the things I could have had done before they arrived...securing the broken driveshaft, disconnecting and securing the other end of the shaft in front of the first drive axle, tying up the steering wheel, disconnecting and stowing the blue airline and electric to the trailer, having the adapter they'll need to plug the red line into my air tank, etc... By the time the wrecker shows up, all he should have to do is run his red line to my tractor tank, blue line & electric to the trailer, put the forks under the steer axle, chain it up, and roll.

Cost me $877 to get towed back to the house...not exactly what I needed right now. Wife has already been complaining about how expensive the truck is to keep running, but when it IS running, it brings home more in a week than she'll make in a month. She never remembers THAT part, though. Oh well.

Anyway, I've NEVER had a u-joint fail this quickly. Usually the start making noise or at least get loose as they wear giving you some warning that they need attention. Heck, I've pushed a worn u-joint quite a ways before without failure. This one was still tight with no play whatsoever (which would be expected seeing as how it was JUST installed in June) last weekend when I last greased it.

Oh well...$#!t happens.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I have had the same thing happen just last month on a new U-Joit about the same size as yours and also about 3 weeks old! The problem I see with mine is that the retainer on the cap was not holding the grease inside the bearing and when it got hot it just ran out and bingo!! I took it back cause it looked to me like the retainer (plastic) melted and failed leaving the grease to run out!!

BULLHUSK

I have had the same thing happen just last month on a new U-Joit about the same size as yours and also about 3 weeks old! The problem I see with mine is that the retainer on the cap was not holding the grease inside the bearing and when it got hot it just ran out and bingo!! I took it back cause it looked to me like the retainer (plastic) melted and failed leaving the grease to run out!!

BULLHUSK

mate the grease wont run out centrifical force will see to that it dont matter how hot it gets but I could be wrong when we grease uni's always grease till new grease comes out all 4 cups very rare any thing fails

Paul

• Like 1

Well, got my drive shaft back today. Went to put it in and the damn thing is about an inch longer than what it was when I dropped it off...1/2 inch too long for the carrier bearing holes to line up with the slots on the bracket mounted on the cross member. So, looks like this ENTIRE week is shot to hell...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Not short...2" longer than it should have been. Apparently the tube got dinged and they replaced it...don't know how they measured it or where they took their measurements from...all I know is that the carrier bearing doesn't bolt up and is 2" further to the rear than it used to be. If I were to figure out a way to make it work, the next one might be just as far off...and the last shaft might not go in. Sure, the last one has the slip shaft, but when the airbags are dumped it is compressed. I'd like enough slack so that the shaft can still be installed with the bags down so that it isn't bottoming out every night when the air leaks out or every load when I dump the bags before raising the bed. Just seems like it would be hard on transmission parts if the driveshaft was pressing forward every time the suspension had the air let out. Anyway, I want some answers from the shop prior to my attempting to redneck engineer a fix. Truck has already been down since Friday morning...4th week of work I've missed this summer and that ain't good for the budget. Was HOPING to be back to work tomorrow, but still waiting on an air valve to come in, too...should be here tomorrow morning.